TheFantastics09

Police Clearance (Part 2)

27 posts in this topic

Hey there!

So I already have my CPIC check and it came back that there is no criminal record attached to my name, but my lawyer insists that I go back and obtain the check with fingerprints as I got into trouble when I was much younger (about 14). I spoke to my local police service and they assured me that going for another police check isn't going to make a difference as there is no trace of it... anywhere.

My first question: Do I need to obtain a police check with fingerprints for the Packet 3 to be sent to Montreal, or is the one I have sufficient?

Second: If I do need to go ahead and get the fingerprint check, can I send the current police check in the packet 3 and when I go to the interview in Montreal, bring the police check with the fingerprints with me (I was told that it will take several months to receive a response back from the RCMP)?

Thank-You!

Edit: Oh! If no one here has any idea, can I email the Montreal consulate for an answer?

Edited by TheFantastics09

UJaZm4.png

***Ever thine, ever mine, ever ours... xoxo***

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am sorry to tell you this but Your lawyer is correct. You should go get the fingerprint one, I know you have no record. Neither did I but IF you Have ever been in trouble even as a Minor you need a Fingerprint one.

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Timeline

Thats not true. Not everyone has gotten the finger prints done. That is only necessary if you have a criminal history. While more is always better it isn't necessary.

10/10/09: Married in Hamilton, Ontario :)

04/01/2010 : I-130 Sent

04/16/10 : NOA1 Issued (Hard Copy)

09/02/2010: File Touched Fingers Crossed

09/24/2010: NOA2 Approval!!!

• 161 Days since NOA1 - NOA2
    ------------------
    NVC Received File - 10/04/2010
    10/07/2010 Received Case #/Opted into Electronic Processing

• OPT IN EMAIL CONFIRMATION INTO ELECTRONIC PROCESSING RECEIVED 10/25 TOOK 18 DAYS FROM INITIAL EMAIL SENT
    • DS3032 Sent Following Electronic Proccessing Formats

10/15/2010: I-864(AOS) fee ($88) payment Received

10/18/2010: I-864 (AOS) PAID

10/20/2010: AOS package Sent via Email for Electronic Processing

10/22/2010: IV Bill Invoiced

10/22/2010: IV Bill Paid (Shown Paid Status 8/25/2010)

10/27/2010:DS Forms Emailed Via Email for Electronic Processing

01/06/2011: Sign in Failed

11/23/2010: AOS package review completed

01/05/2011: IV package review completed

01/06/2011: Case Completed (Received case complete Email VIA Electronic Processing)

01/07/2011: Consulate Interview Scheduled

Consulate

02/15/2011: Medical

03/04/2011: Interview

U.S

03/07/2011: POE South of Montreal US-CDN border

03/07/2011: Welcome Letter

03/24/2011: Green Card

Timeline

IF you ever had a criminal history, then you should get one done.

Edited by Canadiandggal

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Timeline

I dont think anyone on this thread stated that EVERYONE has to get Fingerprinted???

Better to get them done now then wait the RCMP can take awhile to get the finished product. At 1 time it was close to 4 months, but no clue now a days. I believe their used to be another company that did them, and they were much quicker, maybe have been the Commsionaires??? http://www.commissionaires.ca/

Guess it all boils down to what the offenses were, what you put down on the forms, as I recall one one or more of the forms it asks about your criminal history. Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

IF you have had a criminal history I suggest you get one. IF you have a clean criminal history the general check and letter will suffice.

10/10/09: Married in Hamilton, Ontario :)

04/01/2010 : I-130 Sent

04/16/10 : NOA1 Issued (Hard Copy)

09/02/2010: File Touched Fingers Crossed

09/24/2010: NOA2 Approval!!!

• 161 Days since NOA1 - NOA2
    ------------------
    NVC Received File - 10/04/2010
    10/07/2010 Received Case #/Opted into Electronic Processing

• OPT IN EMAIL CONFIRMATION INTO ELECTRONIC PROCESSING RECEIVED 10/25 TOOK 18 DAYS FROM INITIAL EMAIL SENT
    • DS3032 Sent Following Electronic Proccessing Formats

10/15/2010: I-864(AOS) fee ($88) payment Received

10/18/2010: I-864 (AOS) PAID

10/20/2010: AOS package Sent via Email for Electronic Processing

10/22/2010: IV Bill Invoiced

10/22/2010: IV Bill Paid (Shown Paid Status 8/25/2010)

10/27/2010:DS Forms Emailed Via Email for Electronic Processing

01/06/2011: Sign in Failed

11/23/2010: AOS package review completed

01/05/2011: IV package review completed

01/06/2011: Case Completed (Received case complete Email VIA Electronic Processing)

01/07/2011: Consulate Interview Scheduled

Consulate

02/15/2011: Medical

03/04/2011: Interview

U.S

03/07/2011: POE South of Montreal US-CDN border

03/07/2011: Welcome Letter

03/24/2011: Green Card

Timeline

Here is a question and I am not trying to pry but were you arrested? charged? sentenced?

I am asking because As I said I would get the fingerprint version however IF you were not then you should be ok with the regular one.

Not to scare you but if you did have a record, were charged, you may also need the records. That is not a fun time, I had a charge from the age 14 and had to go around in circles to get what they needed. (I received a RFE for the court records).

I hope it all works out for you :)

Edited by Canadiandggal

age.png

age.png

event.png

Here is a question and I am not trying to pry but were you arrested? charged? sentenced?

I am asking because As I said I would get the fingerprint version however IF you were not then you should be ok with the regular one.

Not to scare you but if you did have a record, were charged, you may also need the records. That is not a fun time, I had a charge from the age 14 and had to go around in circles to get what they needed. (I received a RFE for the court records).

I hope it all works out for you :)

Thank-you! These are the kind of answers I was looking for. Yes I was arrested/the whole nine yards. But it isn't showing up in the CPIC check (with just the name). The head officer at the records branch says all that info was destroyed. What do I do now? I have no problem getting the check with fingerprints, but if it isn't going to say anything, what do I tell them? How do I obtain records that should have been shredded? Expunged means just that-expunged. Non-existent.

The other question I had was can I put the check I already have in the packet 3 and bring the fingerprint check with me to the interview or, do I not send in Packet 3 until I have the fingerprint police check?

Thank-you for the info! :)

Edit: I hope you don't mind me asking, but how did you go about obtaining your old records?

UJaZm4.png

Thank-you! These are the kind of answers I was looking for. Yes I was arrested/the whole nine yards. But it isn't showing up in the CPIC check (with just the name). The head officer at the records branch says all that info was destroyed. What do I do now? I have no problem getting the check with fingerprints, but if it isn't going to say anything, what do I tell them? How do I obtain records that should have been shredded? Expunged means just that-expunged. Non-existent.

The other question I had was can I put the check I already have in the packet 3 and bring the fingerprint check with me to the interview or, do I not send in Packet 3 until I have the fingerprint police check?

Edit: I hope you don't mind me asking, but how did you go about obtaining your old records?

P.S. I didn't go to "jail", does this/will this make a difference?

UJaZm4.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You take the figure prints with you to the interview.

As for your records being destroyed they aren't really they are just locked away in a vault sorta speak somewhere in Toronto if its from Ontario. What you need to do is go to the court house the one you went to court at and try and remember the dates you had you're court date the best you can. The courts may try and look you up on the computers where they will not find you. You may have to really push to get them to look you up in the books manually, when they do find your info they will send away for you're court records. When you do this ask for several copies, you will need them for every step of your journey (AOS ROC to Citizenship)

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

You take the figure prints with you to the interview.

As for your records being destroyed they aren't really they are just locked away in a vault sorta speak somewhere in Toronto if its from Ontario. What you need to do is go to the court house the one you went to court at and try and remember the dates you had you're court date the best you can. The courts may try and look you up on the computers where they will not find you. You may have to really push to get them to look you up in the books manually, when they do find your info they will send away for you're court records. When you do this ask for several copies, you will need them for every step of your journey (AOS ROC to Citizenship)

Ok, so I don't need the police check to send in with the Packet 3. Thank-you! I will go to the courthouse first thing in the morning.

Man, I so wish I had access to the internet when we first started this paperwork :/.

Everyone here is very helpful :)

UJaZm4.png

Timeline

I was charged when I was a teenager (conditional discharge) and my files were expunged at 18. I called the local court house that I had been sentenced at and told them I was in need of court records from my juvi charges. I did not know my charge dates so I had to contact my old lawyer who looked them up for me. I had some trouble with the first lady I talked to at the court house but eventually she told me it would take 1-3 weeks to retrieve the files from Toronto (where all the old files go). About 2 weeks later she called to tell me that they could not find one of my records and instead she ended up writing me a court document stating my charge ,sentence etc. SO in the end I had one court record and one letter. I also got 6 copies of them :P

They may tell you your files are not obtainable to you because of the new Youth Justice act but just tell them they are your records and that you have Identification to pick them up. Also mention that the US does not consider expunges/discharges/sealed, they still see it as you had a record.

I hope you get them easily.

Edited by Canadiandggal

age.png

age.png

event.png

I was charged when I was a teenager (conditional discharge) and my files were expunged at 18. I called the local court house that I had been sentenced at and told them I was in need of court records from my juvi charges. I did not know my charge dates so I had to contact my old lawyer who looked them up for me. I had some trouble with the first lady I talked to at the court house but eventually she told me it would take 1-3 weeks to retrieve the files from Toronto (where all the old files go). About 2 weeks later she called to tell me that they could not find one of my records and instead she ended up writing me a court document stating my charge ,sentence etc. SO in the end I had one court record and one letter. I also got 6 copies of them :P

They may tell you your files are not obtainable to you because of the new Youth Justice act but just tell them they are your records and that you have Identification to pick them up. Also mention that the US does not consider expunges/discharges/sealed, they still see it as you had a record.

I hope you get them easily.

Me too! Thank-You!! :)

UJaZm4.png

Timeline

Me too! Thank-You!! :)

How did it go? Did you get to the court house yet?

age.png

age.png

event.png

How did it go? Did you get to the court house yet?

Hey :).

Turns out I have a copy of the paperwork my Lawyer was asking for, so I just need to go to the courthouse to have them stamp their seal on it.

Thank-You! >.<

UJaZm4.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.