CanuckmeetsYank

Taking pets with you when you move..

12 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey just a quick odd ball question I guess. I was just wondering if anyone has taken their beloved pets with them when they finally were able move to the US and what was required. Was there any qurintiene time( sorry not sure of spelling there). Over all what was your experience at the border. Thanks for the imput. :)

K1-Journey

[*]March 9,2006 finally sent K1 Package to Nebraska

[*]March 24-NOA1

[*]July 17/06 -IMBRA RFE

September 13/06- 3 Emails stating we got NOA2, APPROVED!!! Dated September 8,2006.

[*]October 20th/06-Received Packet 3

[*]October 31/06-Medical Exam

December 6,2006-Interview in Vancouver APPROVED!

Arrived in US- December 14, 2006

January 3,2007- Applied for SSN got within 7 days in the mail.

February 17,2007- MARRIED!

AOS-EAD-AP Journey:

March 2, 2007-Started AOS paperwork

March 12,2007- Filed AOS, EAD, AP Docs.

March 22, 2007-NOA1 for AOS,EAD, AP

March 23, 2007-Receive "Biometrics Appointment"Letter

April 4, 2007- Biometrics Appointment...done..

April 19,2007-Notice in Mail saying transfered to CSC..not sure what is up with that...

May 21, 2007- Touched and email saying case pending at CSC.

May 23,2007-AOS Touched!

May 25, 2007-AOS Touched-Again

May 29, 2007-Email AP APPROVED.

May 29, 2007-EAD touched

May 30,2007-AP and EAD Touched

May 31, 2007-Email stating I-485 Card Production Ordered!!! WOOHOO!

June 1,2007-Email EAD Approved

June 2, 2007- AP Received.

June 4, 2007 -Welcome New Permanent Resident letter received.

June 7, 2007-EAD Card Received..no GC yet..

June 9, 2007-GREEN CARD IN HAND!

Timeline
Hey just a quick odd ball question I guess. I was just wondering if anyone has taken their beloved pets with them when they finally were able move to the US and what was required. Was there any qurintiene time( sorry not sure of spelling there). Over all what was your experience at the border. Thanks for the imput. :)

I really have no idea the answer to your Q... I did do some hunting online and can't seem to find the answer .. But if i was you i would call US Customs and ask .. straight from the horses mouth (so to speak) here is the web site http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/home.xml and phone # General Inquiries (202) 354-1000

Good Luck :star:

~My AOS (K1)

Jan 19/07 NOA1

Feb 05/07 Transfered to CSC

Feb 08/07 Biometrics

Mar 30/07 Welcome notice sent

April 10/07 Card production ordered

April 13/07 Approval notice sent

April 16/07 Green card in hand

~My Sons AOS (K2) Age 11

Jan 19/07 NOA1

Feb 05/07 Transfered to CSC

Feb 08/07 Biometrics

Mar 30/07 Welcome notice sent

April 10/07 Card production ordered

April 13/07 Approval notice sent

April 16/07 Green card in hand

~My Daughters AOS (K2) Age 9

Jan 19/07 NOA1

Feb 07/07 RFE Snail mail

Feb 08/07 Biometrics

Feb 14/07 sent back RFE ~ Feb 21/07 email resp. RFE

Feb 29/07 Transfered to CSC !!

April 03/07 Card production ordered

April 04/07 Welcome notice sent

April 07/07 Welcome notice & Green card arrived

can you clarify what kinda pets?

Here's a list of each kind and what the requirements are.

bringing your pet

I brought my cat "the other way" (canada to us) and just had to show a recent rabies shot. The POE officer didn't even look into her carry bag. I just handed him the rabies form and he said bye bye.

On a funny note, I actually made a typo and the URL said "bringing your poet"

Married 12-30-05

Started our visa journey Jan 06.

01-06 - I-130, K3 shortly after

04-06 - switched to Canada Immigration

07-06 - Moved to Canada (PR almost complete)

07-06 - Changed again, back to US imm.

09-06 - Landed as Canadian PR

10-06 - DCF Toronto, Approved in 1.5 hrs!

11-06 - Interview Montreal (success!)

I-130

10-05-06 DCF in Toronto - Approved

10-19-06 Packet 3 received & sent back

10-20-06 Montreal receives P3

11-03-06 Packet 4 received

11-06-06 Medical

11-22-06 Interview / Visa approved

11-26-06 heading home, 6 day drive, my oh my

HOME SWEET HOME

10.24.08 - Mailed I-751 to CSC

Delivered at 9:03 AM on October 25, 2008

10.29.08 NOA1

10.30.08 Check cashed

12.06.08 Biometrics Appt.

12.19.08 Received new Drivers License extended to 2011

03.12.09 Received CONGRATULATIONS letter - Card on the way!!

03.20.09 Received his SHINY new card. WOO HOOOOOOO

YAY!! We can take a break from this madness until Citizenship.

Timeline

can you clarify what kinda pets?

Here's a list of each kind and what the requirements are.

bringing your pet

I brought my cat "the other way" (canada to us) and just had to show a recent rabies shot. The POE officer didn't even look into her carry bag. I just handed him the rabies form and he said bye bye.

On a funny note, I actually made a typo and the URL said "bringing your poet"

That is funny! :lol: Its just my Cat. I had heard that All I would likely need is just some up to date shot papers that sort of thing. But I just wanted to make sure that was still the case. Just to avoid as much trauma , for me in particular! Thanks for the info! :P

K1-Journey

[*]March 24-NOA1

[*]July 17/06 -IMBRA RFE

September 13/06- 3 Emails stating we got NOA2, APPROVED!!! Dated September 8,2006.

AOS-EAD-AP Journey:

April 19,2007-Notice in Mail saying transfered to CSC..not sure what is up with that...

May 23,2007-AOS Touched!

May 29, 2007-EAD touched

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The Department of State has guidelines for bringing pets into the US from Canada. Geneally, a current rabies vaccination and the apparent good health of the pet are the main criteria. You also need to check and see what the State requirements are for the State to where you are moving. Some of them have additional requirements for importing pets.

I moved from southern Ontario to Georgia with 6 cats. They had up to date veterinary records showing they were all appropriate vaccinated. The border authorities have the right to request a veterinary inspection of any animal that looks unwell, however that is unlikely to happen. For that reason we made sure we crossed the border on a weekday when a vet would be available if required (they have to call for one to come) rather than on a weekend when one might not be available. When we entered at the POE I brought their records in with me but no one was interested,

The biggest concern was just the logistics of transporting the animals - making sure they were safe, properly identified and confined in appropriate containers with sufficient breaks from the travel. We were on the road 2 days and spent a night in a hotel in between. We had to pay a refundable deposit for the pets at the hotel but had no problems - except for the noisy rock band that was performing very close to our room and bothered our already highly stressed animals. I used disposable litter trays and brought my small dustbuster with me to vacuum up any potential mess so there was no evidence that pets had been there.

Your pet is part of your family. I am glad you are bringing him/her/it with you If you have a cat, keep an eye on him/her after you arrive since the stress of travel can sometimes trigger things like urinary tract infections, as it did for my eldest. Good luck.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Hey nice topic. Im actually involved in this kind of situation, but with a little more complicated pet...Dogs and cats are fairly easy, but when it comes to birds and reptiles, you may need an exportation paper.

I own a female Ball python, one of the most breeded specie of snake in North America. I had her as a baby and shes now 4 years-old. My futur hubby is into reptiles as well and he owns one too. So its out of the question that I'm gonna leave her behind. Some pythons are on the list of endangered species of the CITES. Because of that I have to send a filled form to Environment Canada saying when I plan to move, how I'm gonna move her, etc as well as her birth papers with the parents up to 2 generations. Then I will have an exportation permit and I will need to go through a POE (I'm going by car) when an Environment officer ( or whatever you call it) is gonna be present to inspect her, mainly to assure that Im not trying to pass another kind of more rare python instead is this really comon one. We called the customs already, and since its a pet from Canada that is going to be moved once, I only need the canadian exportation paper, and its a free one to obtain. If for any reason you would need a US importation paper, that is about the same process, but it cost 50$ US.

All this because she's a python...but shes so pretty and so sweet :) Its gonna take about 8 weeks to receive the papers that I will need. We just sent our petition so I got a little time ahead.

Mephys

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We drove down with our two dogs. Just shortly before crossing I had the vet print me out papers that they were safe for border crossing and all up to date on rabies. They never asked to see papers on them at all at the border.

As the USA already has rabies, there is no quarantine. As already mentioned, just proof that the shots are up to date and you walk \ carry them out. I took my dog over a year ago with Thai airways ( $170 per 25kg unit ), no problems via JFK.

here is the dog experiencing the first winter of his life!

post-21365-1157090381_thumb.jpg

April 14 - sent I-129F to Vermont

April 25 - NOA1

May, June, July lost to IMBRA and RFE's

Aug 22 - NOA2

Sept 25 - interview date OCTOBER 13th

Oct 26 - arrived at JFK - work authorized

Nov 21 - apply SSN, received Nov 29

Dec 16 - marriage license

Jan 05 - wedding

Jan 30 - AOS begins

AOS

Feb 07 - NOA1 ,check cashed

Feb 28 - notice I-485 sent to CSC

Mar 10 - Biometrics

Apr 16 - surprise RFE arrives..they lost my medical. New medical returned, Apr 23

Jun 1st - RFE ..more medical BS ( go back for TB skin test)

Jun 28 - CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!!!

July 06- Green card arrives.

LIFTING CONDITIONS 2009

June 12 - mailed package

June 15 - check cashed

June 19 - NOA extension letter ( card expires June 26th)

July 03 - Biometrics notice

July 14 - Biometrics appointment

OCT 29 - CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!!!

Filed: Timeline

If I'm not mistaken, Illinois is one of the states that doesn't require a rabies vaccination for cats for POE, just a vet cert. We've been trying to decide if Sian should fly into CVG or O'Hare, and that's one of the considerations.

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hey nice topic. Im actually involved in this kind of situation, but with a little more complicated pet...Dogs and cats are fairly easy, but when it comes to birds and reptiles, you may need an exportation paper.

I own a female Ball python, one of the most breeded specie of snake in North America. I had her as a baby and shes now 4 years-old. My futur hubby is into reptiles as well and he owns one too. So its out of the question that I'm gonna leave her behind. Some pythons are on the list of endangered species of the CITES. Because of that I have to send a filled form to Environment Canada saying when I plan to move, how I'm gonna move her, etc as well as her birth papers with the parents up to 2 generations. Then I will have an exportation permit and I will need to go through a POE (I'm going by car) when an Environment officer ( or whatever you call it) is gonna be present to inspect her, mainly to assure that Im not trying to pass another kind of more rare python instead is this really comon one. We called the customs already, and since its a pet from Canada that is going to be moved once, I only need the canadian exportation paper, and its a free one to obtain. If for any reason you would need a US importation paper, that is about the same process, but it cost 50$ US.

All this because she's a python...but shes so pretty and so sweet :) Its gonna take about 8 weeks to receive the papers that I will need. We just sent our petition so I got a little time ahead.

Mephys

Actually, that is a very good point Mephys; exotic pets are processed differently and do require additional permits depending on what they are and where they come from, etc. Parrots, for instance, also fall into that category along with reptiles. I am glad you are bringing your python with you - hope the process goes smoothly. Good luck.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Mephys

WOW! That is a lot to go through but well worth it when it comes to your pets. Goodluck and have safe travels!

If I'm not mistaken, Illinois is one of the states that doesn't require a rabies vaccination for cats for POE, just a vet cert. We've been trying to decide if Sian should fly into CVG or O'Hare, and that's one of the considerations.

Thanks for the info. regarding Illinois! We (me and Lola Kitty) are flying into O Hare...fortunately I go through customs while I am still here in Calgary so if they need her vet for any reason to verify something he should be available. But I will be armed with all her current paper work. Thanks everyone for the great advice, and information. She is definately a part of the family. Its funny cause my fiance was not a cat person at all until it met her...now he finds himself in pet boutiques picking out drinking fountains with space for cat grass...so she can have the best..LOL :lol: Its pretty cute...Safe travels!

K1-Journey

[*]March 24-NOA1

[*]July 17/06 -IMBRA RFE

AOS-EAD-AP Journey:

May 23,2007-AOS Touched!

May 29, 2007-EAD touched

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

we brought our cat. had to have an 'international certificate of health' signed by the vet.

She had to have had her shots and stuff 30 days before crossing and the certificate needed to be signed within 10 dys prior to crossing. I think the vet signed the certificate free with the shots.

They didnt even look at the cat. Heck they didnt look in the truck. We said 'we have a cat' and the guy said 'you're good to go' *shrug*

Edited by evilcanuck

12/25/2001 : Met on telephone thanks to mutual friend

03/02/2001 : Met face to face at a concert in Sault Ste Marie Michigan

07/06/2004 : I-129F Sent

07/19/2004 : I-129F NOA1 (Receipt)

10/20/2004 : I-129F NOA2 (Approved)

11/01/2004 : Package Received By NVC

11/04/2004 : Rec'd Instructions (Pkt 3)

07/01/2005 : Completed Instructions (Pkt 3)

09/01/2005 : Rec'd Appointment Letter (Pkt 4)

11/07/2005 : Interview!!!

11/20/2005 : Visa Received

12/03/2005 : US Entry, finally home

02/04/2006 : Wedding !!!

02/13/2006 : AOS, AP & EAD filed

02/16/2006 : AOS, EAD & AP rec'd

02/24/2006 : NOA for AP rejected (I ticked wrong box duh0

02/27/2006 : NOA for AOS, EAD

03/13/2006 : Biometrics appt

03/05/2006 : amended AP application rec'd

03/09/2006 : NOA for AP

04/06/2006 : RFE for AOS (co-sponsor affidavit)

04/07/2006 : AP approved

04/13/2006 : AP recieved

05/25/2006 : EAD approved

05/29/2006 : used AP for the first time

06/01/2006 : EAD rec'd

07/04/2006 : AP used again to pick up my son, activated his visa (he was a follow to join)

07/13/2006 : AP touched ??? (possibly because I used it july 4th?)

08/01/2006 : Interview date

08/12/2006 : AOS touched

08/14/2006 : Gerrys biometrics

10/10/2006 : AOS interview for Gerry

10/28/2006, 11/11/2006, 11/18/2006, my AOS touched ; 10/12/2006,12/04/2006 : Gerry's AOS touched

12/07/2006 : AOS APPROVED !!!!!!!

12/16/2006 : GREEN CARDS IN HAND!

09/24/2008 : Apply for Removal of Conditions

09/26/2008 : 1 Yr Conditional Resident Extention

11/01/2008 : Biometrics for both of us

01/??/2009 : 10 Year Green Cards!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.