joey-roseanne

mom petitioning my younger sister

7 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I am a USC and applied for I130 for my mom and it got approved on Feb 8, 2011. I did not apply for my younger sister because I know it will take forever to get her here. And it will be faster if my mom petition her, when she becomes an LPR. My question is how long is it gonna take for my mom to become LPR? and can she petition my sister at once?

Thanks in advance

Who is Eligible to Sponsor a Sibling?

If you are a U.S. citizen and at least 21 years old, you are eligible to petition to bring your brother or sister to live and work permanently in the United States. If you are a lawful permanent resident, you are not eligible as in your moms case to apply to bring your brother or sister to live and work permanently in the United States.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/ussib

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

If you are a U.S. citizen and at least 21 years old, you are eligible to petition to bring your brother or sister to live and work permanently in the United States. If you are a lawful permanent resident, you are not eligible as in your moms case to apply to bring your brother or sister to live and work permanently in the United States.

I think you got confused in his situacion, it's not her sister, it's his sister. It's her daughter. LPR can file for unmarried children

Thanks for the reply, but I am asking about my mom petitioning my sister? she will be coming here any month now, so I am wondering how long will it take her once she gets to the US to petition my 15 yr old sister?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Thanks for the reply, but I am asking about my mom petitioning my sister? she will be coming here any month now, so I am wondering how long will it take her once she gets to the US to petition my 15 yr old sister?

the visa bulletin shows for category 2A, for Philippines, January 1st 2007, for March. we cannot tell how the visa bulletin will evolve in the furture. for now, it's more than 4 years.

Filed: Timeline

Your mother can file for your sister (her daughter) as soon as she is done with immigration at the airport. Her immigration visa becomes her temporary green card.

The petition will take about 4-5 years to become current in the F2a family preference category. That means it will take about 4-5 years before your sister can immigrate to the US. If she gets marry, she automatically disqualify herself from receiving a visa because an LPR cannot ever have a petition for a married child.

I think you got confused in his situacion, it's not her sister, it's his sister. It's her daughter. LPR can file for unmarried children

Yes, I did thanks.

In order for a US Citizen or Permanent Resident to petition a foreign national relative to immigrate to the Unites States they must meet the following criteria:

The petitioner must be a citizen or lawful permanent resident of the U.S. and be able to provide documentation providing that status.

They must prove that they can financially support their relative (beneficiary) at 125% above the mandated poverty line, by filling out an Affidavit of Support which documents that fact.

The relatives which may be petitioned for as an immigrant vary depending on whether the petitioner is a U.S. Citizen or a lawful permanent resident.

ball.gif If the petitioner is a U.S. Citizen, they may petition for the following foreign national relatives to immigrate to the U.S:

ball.gif Husband or wife

ball.gif Unmarried child under 21 years of age

ball.gif Unmarried son or daughter over 21

ball.gif Married son or daughter of any age

ball.gif Brother or sister, if the petitioner is at least 21 years old, or

ball.gif Parent, if the petitioner is at least 21 years old.

ball.gifIf the petitioner is a lawful permanent resident, they may petition for the following foreign national relatives to immigrate to the U.S.:

ball.gif Husband or wife, or

ball.gif Unmarried son or daughter of any age.

In any case, the petitioner must be able to provide evidence of the relationship.

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.