onelildustbunni

After K-1 question

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi all!

My name is Kate, and I am a Canadian citizen with a US citizen fiance (Bryan). We are planning to apply for a K-1 visa and get married in the US. I am also trying to get an education during this whole process, and have some questions.

Assuming I am granted my K-1 visa, can I go to school while I am in the transition phase (K-1 to permanent resident)?

If so, can I apply for US FAFSA and Stafford student loans during this period, or within the 2 year conditional permanent residency period? I am unsure because my fiance will be signing the sponsor form, declaring that he is financially responsible for me and that I will not be a burden on the Government, but on the other hand student loans are just that- LOANS which I will pay back once I have finished my education. I am aware that there are private loans for school, but I would much rather go through Government.

Anyone know the answers? Help much appreciated, will probably be back at some point with more questions. Apologies if someone posted this before, I looked in the forum but didn't see anything similar. Also apologies if this is the wrong forum.

Thanks!

Kate

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Check with the school(s) that you are considering. Some will require you to have either a student visa or valid green card to enroll. Also, the tuition may be different depending on your status and how long you have been a GC holder.

Based on this website Stafford Loan Info you must be a citizen, green card holder, or be eligible for enrollment to qualify. It seems that until you are approved for a GC you may not be able to get one.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I can give you an example, i'm from Canada moved to Nebraska in August 2009. I cannot go to school without a green card to the college or university. Ok so I get my AOS and green card done. Well I can go now but I will be paying NON-resident fees because I didn't live in Nebraska for 1 year. Well non-resident fees are expensive so now i have to wait a year and take some entrance tests after the year is past and then I can go to school with resident costs etc.

Time to do your research and figure out the requirements for your state and for your college/university's of your choice. The program I want to do is a 2 year program for 35k - its crazy expensive even as a resident!

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.