Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

After K-1 question

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: Timeline

Hi all!

My name is Kate, and I am a Canadian citizen with a US citizen fiance (Bryan). We are planning to apply for a K-1 visa and get married in the US. I am also trying to get an education during this whole process, and have some questions.

Assuming I am granted my K-1 visa, can I go to school while I am in the transition phase (K-1 to permanent resident)?

If so, can I apply for US FAFSA and Stafford student loans during this period, or within the 2 year conditional permanent residency period? I am unsure because my fiance will be signing the sponsor form, declaring that he is financially responsible for me and that I will not be a burden on the Government, but on the other hand student loans are just that- LOANS which I will pay back once I have finished my education. I am aware that there are private loans for school, but I would much rather go through Government.

Anyone know the answers? Help much appreciated, will probably be back at some point with more questions. Apologies if someone posted this before, I looked in the forum but didn't see anything similar. Also apologies if this is the wrong forum.



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam

Check with the school(s) that you are considering. Some will require you to have either a student visa or valid green card to enroll. Also, the tuition may be different depending on your status and how long you have been a GC holder.

Based on this website Stafford Loan Info you must be a citizen, green card holder, or be eligible for enrollment to qualify. It seems that until you are approved for a GC you may not be able to get one.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318


PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada

I can give you an example, i'm from Canada moved to Nebraska in August 2009. I cannot go to school without a green card to the college or university. Ok so I get my AOS and green card done. Well I can go now but I will be paying NON-resident fees because I didn't live in Nebraska for 1 year. Well non-resident fees are expensive so now i have to wait a year and take some entrance tests after the year is past and then I can go to school with resident costs etc.

Time to do your research and figure out the requirements for your state and for your college/university's of your choice. The program I want to do is a 2 year program for 35k - its crazy expensive even as a resident!

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...