Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

US citizen moving to Canada question

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi all, I am a "former" canadian who has a US citizenship by naturalization BUT want to move back and live in Canada. Will it cause me any trouble? Can I keep my dual citizenships in Canada? will I be able to return in USA if I decide Canada is not for me?

Your input will be appreciated.



November 2009....Apply for citizenship

Dec 21st 2009....Biometrics

Feb 16th 2010....Interview

April 2010....Citizenship!!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep go on back!! Your still a Canadian Citizen and you will keep ur USA citizenship! Don't forget to do ur USA taxes--luckily their is a USA/CDN tax treaty so you should not get double taxed.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You are in that enviable position that you are allowed to travel back and forth freely between both countries. As far as Canada is concerned you have citizenship in both Canada and the US. As far as the US is concerned, you are only a US citizen - but they can't do anything about the fact that Canada still recognizes you as a citizen too.

You should keep both passports valid as you will require your US passport (or one of the WHTI approved documents which may include the new enhanced DL for the Province you are moving )to re-enter the US even if just visiting (All US citizens are now required to do this) plus your Canadian passport to travel as you wish. When you return to Canada, as a US citizen you do need to file an income tax return every year with the IRS even if you have no US income - you have to file on your world income. Canada and the US have a tax treaty, however, so you won't be facing double taxation issues - you don't (necessarily!) have to pay tax in the US - you just have to file the return.

When you re-enter Canada inform the border authority that you are a returning Canadian resident. Your eligibility for Provincial health benefits doesn't kick in right away and you will need to prove you have satisfied the qualification period (for Ontario for example, it is 3 months) to become eligible once again to receive Provincial health coverage. Hopefully the border authority will be able to provide some sort of documentation or stamp to that effect that you can then use as proof for health coverage and to re-instate your residency for Old Age Security benefits with Canadian Social Services.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables


Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...