Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Evidence of Domicile

5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China

Yes a signed lease document from a residence in the USA will do.


Domicile is a complex concept and must be evaluated on a case by case basis. To qualify as a sponsor, a petitioner residing abroad must have a principal residence in the U.S. and intend to maintain it indefinitely. Lawful permanent resident (LPR) sponsors must show they are maintaining their LPR status.

Many U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents reside outside the United States on a temporary basis. "Temporary" may cover an extended period of residence abroad. The sponsor living abroad must establish the following in order to be considered domiciled in the United States:

  • He/she left the United States for a limited and not indefinite period of time,
  • He/she intended to maintain a domicile in the United States, and
  • He/she has evidence of continued ties to the United States.

How can a petitioner establish a domicile? When a sponsor has clearly not maintained a domicile in the United States, he/she must re-establish a U.S. domicile to be a sponsor. The aspiring sponsor may take steps, including the examples given below, to show that the United States is his/her principal place of residence

  • Find employment in the United States
  • Secure a residence in the United States
  • Register children in U.S. schools
  • Relinquish residence abroad
  • Other evidence of a U.S. residence

If the sponsor establishes U.S. domicile, it is not necessary for the sponsor to go to the United States before the sponsored family members. However, the sponsor must return to the United States to live before the sponsored immigrant may enter the United States. The sponsored immigrant must enter the U.S. with or after the sponsor.


OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.



Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

pasted from US EMBASSY MNL:

The U.S. Domicile Requirement for Petitioners Living Outside the U.S.

A petitioner living outside the United States and who has not maintained any ties with the United States, and who wishes to qualify as a sponsor must demonstrate that:

1. He or she has taken steps to establish a domicile in the United States;

2. He or she has either already taken up physical residence in the United States or will do so currently with the applicant;

3. The sponsor does not have to precede the applicant to the United States but, if he or she does not do so, he or she must at least arrive in the United States concurrently with the applicant;

4. The sponsor must establish an address (a house, an apartment, or arrangements for accommodations with family or friend) and either must have already taken up physical residence in the United States; or

5. Must at a minimum to state that he or she intends to take up residence there no later than the time of the applicant’s immigration to the United States.

Although there is no time frame for the petitioner to establish residence, the sponsor/petitioner must in fact, have taken up principal residence in the United States. Evidence that the sponsor has established a domicile in the United States and is either physically residing there or intends to do so before or concurrently with the applicant may include the following:

1. Opening a bank account;

2. Transferring funds to the United States;

3. Making investments in the United States;

4. Seeking employment in the United States;

5. Registering children in U.S. schools;

6. Applying for a Social Security number; and

7. Voting in local, State, or Federal elections.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia

Ive searched the forum for this but have not found a specific answer. What do i have to do to prove evidence of domicile? Is a renting lease sufficient or are numerous documents of proof needed?

Rental agreement is fine as in Lease we rent and it is our address and no problem

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
On February 18, 2011 at 7:14 AM, Quatchi said:

Ive searched the forum for this but have not found a specific answer. What do i have to do to prove evidence of domicile? Is a renting lease sufficient or are numerous documents of proof needed?

Rent lease, bank statement with your name and address, latest work stub, credit card statement. 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...