one...two...tree

Internet Subscription Services - this is political

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I recently upgraded to an Android phone and have since added several apps, like Kindle and Pandora (streaming radio).

After 40 hours of streaming radio that is laced with commercials, Pandora is now asking for a nominal subscription fee to continue listening. And while the amount is nominal, if every online media source also charged the same fee for access to their online media, the monthly cost would be substantial.

Kindle, for example, offers a monthly subscription fee to the New York Times at $14.99/month.

Out of curiosity, does anyone here pay for any online subscription services?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Nope.

Though when you stop and think about it, it makes sense.

If you wanted a paper subscription to the NY Times, you're going to pay for it... They still need to make their money somehow for their content outside of advertising.

Sometimes online though I wish some news sites offered a small subscription fee. Not for 'content,' but for the ability to block all of the annoying flash/java ads... ugh.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Timeline

Nope.

Though when you stop and think about it, it makes sense.

If you wanted a paper subscription to the NY Times, you're going to pay for it... They still need to make their money somehow for their content outside of advertising.

Sometimes online though I wish some news sites offered a small subscription fee. Not for 'content,' but for the ability to block all of the annoying flash/java ads... ugh.

The thing is though, right now, you can access the NYT via a computer, without any subscription fee. I understand that these media sources need revenue, but IMO, they should do it through advertising.

Timeline

The thing is though, right now, you can access the NYT via a computer, without any subscription fee. I understand that these media sources need revenue, but IMO, they should do it through advertising.

Think of how annoying that would be on a small screen though. It's bad enough on a nice monitor, but add it to a small 3 inch cellular screen and you'd be extremely annoyed with full screen ads that would take time to load before getting you to your article/content.

I have CNN, CBS, Politico, etc. on my Blackberry because they are free and wouldn't pay for any subcription like that personally, but I can see where outlets would charge.

It also begs the question, who really needs those things on their phone to begin with?

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Timeline

Think of how annoying that would be on a small screen though. It's bad enough on a nice monitor, but add it to a small 3 inch cellular screen and you'd be extremely annoyed with full screen ads that would take time to load before getting you to your article/content.

I have CNN, CBS, Politico, etc. on my Blackberry because they are free and wouldn't pay for any subcription like that personally, but I can see where outlets would charge.

It also begs the question, who really needs those things on their phone to begin with?

Well, traditionally tv and radio were free of any subscriptions - instead relying on advertisement revenue...and they were very successful.

I've got free games like Solitaire and Chess as well, that have small banner ads. Yeah, they're a bit troublesome, but if I ever want the free version, I pay a couple of dollars one time and that's it. I just don't think radio or video broadcasts are going to have much luck in getting people to pay a monthly fee.

As for the screen size - I was watching Looney Tunes in HD on my small screen last night. It's plenty big and quality is excellent.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

Out of curiosity, does anyone here pay for any online subscription services?

No. I pay for my Android phone at a rock bottom price of $45 per month, taxes and fees included. That is still $540 a year but that sure beats the $1,560 a year plan I had with ATT to maintain the iPhone4 (about $130 per month).

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Timeline

Well, traditionally tv and radio were free of any subscriptions - instead relying on advertisement revenue...and they were very successful.

I've got free games like Solitaire and Chess as well, that have small banner ads. Yeah, they're a bit troublesome, but if I ever want the free version, I pay a couple of dollars one time and that's it. I just don't think radio or video broadcasts are going to have much luck in getting people to pay a monthly fee.

As for the screen size - I was watching Looney Tunes in HD on my small screen last night. It's plenty big and quality is excellent.

Oh yeah. I loaded "Toy Story 3" and "Kick-####" onto my Torch for my trip this past week and it was great watching movies during the flights! Amazing how good the quality is on the smaller screens.

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

I was watching Looney Tunes in HD on my small screen last night.

Oh yeah. I loaded "Toy Story 3" (...) onto my Torch for my trip this past week and it was great watching movies during the flights!

Looney Tunes? Toy Story 3? How old are you guys again?

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Yes, I subscribe to online scrabble - annual subscription is $12! I am also a netflix subscriber does that count?

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Timeline

Yes, I subscribe to online scrabble - annual subscription is $12! I am also a netflix subscriber does that count?

Netflix would be more closer to cable subscription service. Online games subscriptions are a bit tricky as they have existed for awhile. They tend to cater to a more specific demographic (WofW, for example).

I use netflix on my phone and all my ifanboi toys

For the iPhone, yes? Because I couldn't get it for my Android (not available).

Filed: Timeline

Netflix would be more closer to cable subscription service. Online games subscriptions are a bit tricky as they have existed for awhile. They tend to cater to a more specific demographic (WofW, for example).

For the iPhone, yes? Because I couldn't get it for my Android (not available).

right. only ithings can have netflix :P I think you can stream put some of the amazon stuff on other things. let me go look at the list.

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.