4 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Good morning everyone,

I received an e-mail from USCIS last week notifying me that Chris and I have a green card interview! We are adjusting from a K-1 visa. On one hand I am very excited about going though the process quickly, and at the same time very nervous at the prospect of another interview. I was a nervous mess for my K-1 interview! :blush:

Anyways, we are going through the office in Norfolk, Virginia, and I was wondering if anyone has had their interview there recently. I was looking it up in the review section on VJ, but the most recent review seems to be from 2009! And finally, if you guys want to share with me how it all went during your interview, I would appreciate it. Just looking for some stress relief!

Thanks guys and happy lover's day! :luv:

For our detailed K-1, AOS and ROC journey, see the "about me" page on our profile!

Same for us, but we're in Texas...I haven't received an interview notice yet, but my biometrics appt is next week so the interview may be shortly thereafter.

As an add on to VeroandChris' question, what sort of things should we plan to bring to the interview should we have one? Obviously some wedding photos, copies of our home/auto insurance policies showing both our names, proof of joint bank account, etc. Suggestions are appreciated!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You'll find people's experiences have run the gamut. Some had interviews that were short and cordial. Some had interviews that were long a brutal. It depends on how the IO views your case.

The interview letter has a list of things you need to bring. For many of the items it will say "unless already submitted", or something to that effect. In other words, it will say you need an I-864 and supporting evidence, but since you've obviously already submitted that you don't need to fill out another one. You do need to bring the original copy of any document you submitted as a photocopy with the petition. Bring any and all evidence of a marital relationship you have. You don't want to take a chance on them asking for something you forgot to bring.

Our IO asked for the original birth certificates for my wife and step-kids. She also asked for their passports and I-94's. She kept the I-94's. She spent some time looking through our three photo albums, commenting on some of the photos. She asked each of them the questions that are listed on the I-485 (the ones you're supposed to answer "no" to). She asked if any of them had worked or left the US since arriving (the answer is "no", of course). At the end of the interview she asked if I had anything else. I offered the insurance papers, bills, receipts, joint bank account statements, etc. She asked if she could keep them. I said yes, and she stuffed them in the file. After that she gave us the approval slip.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you JimVaPhuong! I photocopied the interview letter and used it as a checklist, so as far as evidence and paperwork, I think I'm ok. What I wondered after reading the reviews for the Norfolk Office, is that IF you are approved, they let you know on the spot, correct? Some reviews said that the IO said "we'll let you know within 2 weeks" and other comments similar to that. I guess I was under the impression that they let you know right there and then...

For our detailed K-1, AOS and ROC journey, see the "about me" page on our profile!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.