Caroline and Phil

N-400 Name change

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello!

I'm thinking about requesting name change with my application for Naturalization.

My current first name was spelled wrong on my birth certificate. I never changed it in Brazil because it sounds quite normal there.

My name now is "First Name" "MiddleName (using here my maiden last name)" "LastName (using here my husband's family name)".

My first name is Elisabete (when most of people here call me by my name it sounds almost like diabetes without the "S" :bonk:).

So I have 2 questions:

Considering that my maiden name was Elisabete Example and now it's Elisabete Example Hubby.

1. Can I add a middle name I like (like a regular name, not like a maiden last name) and maybe drop my "middle last maiden" name?

So with the change it would be: Elizabeth Mary Hubby for example.

or (I would rather this second option)

2. Can I switch my "corrected" current first name to the middle and get a new first name and change from for example Elisabete Example Hubby to Mary Elizabeth Hubby?

Not sure if I was clear. :blink:

Thanks in advance.

Lisa :luv:

Caroline (Brazil) and Phil (USA)

yPnbm4.png

2003i9szfhw0aa.jpg

f2MWm5.png

View my Timeline

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hi,

Now when u go to ur interview. they have white paper there. for who he wants to change her/his name. u will be required to take one and fill it. with Yes u want to change ur name and post the name u like. or No you dont want.

so dont worry about that, it can be fixed during the interview. and that is the best time to change ur name for free. and u will be getting rid of diabetes name lol

Good Luck .

Please wait for better answer.

بســــم اللـــــه الــــرحمـن الــــرحــــيم

My N-400 timeline, I hope it will help - Local Office (Chula Vista Field Office - San Diego)

10/01/2010: Application was sent.

10/04/2010: Application was received.

10/06/2010: Email received "Application has been received" & Noticed Date.

10/07/2010: "Touch"

10/08/2010: "Touch" & Check was Cashed

10/09/2010: NOA1 Received via mail.

10/22/2010: Status Changed Online "Request for evidence" It was for Biometrics.

10/25/2010: Request for evidence recieved "Biometrics Notice".

11/18/2010: Biometrics date ==> 11:00AM. Biometrics was taken On time.

12/03/2010: "Yellow Letter" Received.

12/06/2010: "Touch" Case Moved to "Testing and Interview".

12/08/2010: Interview Letter received via mail.

01/13/2011: Interview Date. Done, " Thanks To ALLAH, I Passed the Test.

01/18/2011: Oath Letter was Sent.

01/20/2011: Oath Letter Recieved via mail.

01/28/2011: Oath Date. ==> Done, I am a U.S. Citizen

01/31/2011: Applied for a U.S. Passport Book, And, U.S. Passport Card.

02/25/2011: Passport Book's Received.

02/26/2011: Passport Card's Received.

02/28/2011: Certificate Of Naturalization's Returned.

Game Over.

Timeline

Thank you Sand!!! :star:

Yes, I want to correct my name and add a new nice one. :yes:

And if somebody else can give me some more information I will appreciate it.

Lisa :luv:

yPnbm4.png

2003i9szfhw0aa.jpg

f2MWm5.png

View my Timeline

Hi there

I also want to change my name. Well, I would like to put my maiden name back. It would be like this:

name/middle name/maiden name/hubby last name.

I wonder if they would let me have 2 last names.

Naturalization:

11/22/2010 Sent N400. Day 01

11/30/2010 Check cashed. Day 08

12/02/2010 NOA. Day 10

12/10/2010 Biometrics. Day 18

02/17/2011 Interview. Day 85

02/17/2011 Oath Ceremony. Day 85

02/18/2011 Applied for U.S. Passport Book/Card. Day 86

02/23/2011 Passport application received. Day 91

03/10/2011 Passport book received. Day 106

03/11/2011 Certificate of Naturalization returned. Day 107

03/12/2011 Passport card received. Day 108

My Immigration journey is finally over yes!!!

Timeline

F@rsc@p3 user_popup.png

If they allow us to keep 2 last names (maiden+husband's family name) or 2 middle names (middle name + old maiden last name) maybe I would think about keeping my maiden name too. :star:

yPnbm4.png

2003i9szfhw0aa.jpg

f2MWm5.png

View my Timeline

Filed: Other Timeline

You can call yourself anything you want, short of Queen Latifa and Michele Obama. You can totally make a name up as long as it doesn't beg to be rejected. If you want to become a Kennedy or Rothschildt or Rockefeller in oder to promote your TV carreer, go right ahead.

Instead of Robert ("Bob") Freiherr von Schlumpfhausen, I'm now Lucas Skywalker!

Name_form.jpg

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Thanks Just Bob....I think I'm not gonna change it since it would take longer for me to have the Oath Ceremony. I heard Atlanta does same day Oath ceremony. My interview is at 10:50 am. I hope I will be lucky and get it the same day, if not, I will be very mad because I didn't get to change my name.

Naturalization:

11/22/2010 Sent N400. Day 01

11/30/2010 Check cashed. Day 08

12/02/2010 NOA. Day 10

12/10/2010 Biometrics. Day 18

02/17/2011 Interview. Day 85

02/17/2011 Oath Ceremony. Day 85

02/18/2011 Applied for U.S. Passport Book/Card. Day 86

02/23/2011 Passport application received. Day 91

03/10/2011 Passport book received. Day 106

03/11/2011 Certificate of Naturalization returned. Day 107

03/12/2011 Passport card received. Day 108

My Immigration journey is finally over yes!!!

Timeline

Thank you!!! :star:

Is your name really Lucas Skywalker? That sounds cool!

Yes, I will do it. I'm tired of my name sounding like "diabetes". lol

You can call yourself anything you want, short of Queen Latifa and Michele Obama. You can totally make a name up as long as it doesn't beg to be rejected. If you want to become a Kennedy or Rothschildt or Rockefeller in oder to promote your TV carreer, go right ahead.

Name_form.jpg

Do you think it takes much longer?

In my case I think it's worth it even if it takes a little longer. lol :luv:

Thanks Just Bob....I think I'm not gonna change it since it would take longer for me to have the Oath Ceremony. I heard Atlanta does same day Oath ceremony. My interview is at 10:50 am. I hope I will be lucky and get it the same day, if not, I will be very mad because I didn't get to change my name.

yPnbm4.png

2003i9szfhw0aa.jpg

f2MWm5.png

View my Timeline

Hi,

Now when u go to ur interview. they have white paper there. for who he wants to change her/his name. u will be required to take one and fill it. with Yes u want to change ur name and post the name u like. or No you dont want.

so dont worry about that, it can be fixed during the interview. and that is the best time to change ur name for free. and u will be getting rid of diabetes name lol

Good Luck .

Please wait for better answer.

unless you consider $680 to be nothing, you never legally change your name in this country for free. With that said, naturalization is probably the easiest route for immigrants to legally change their names once and for all (I did and I am happy).

And I agree with Bob, you can change your name to whatever you want, add as many as given names/surnames you want through naturalization. Actually I am curious if there is anyone apply to change their names to names on the No Fly List.

Naturalization adventure (5-year rule)

Local District office - Indianapolis, IN

08/25/2010-01/06/2011

Do you think it takes much longer?

In my case I think it's worth it even if it takes a little longer. lol :luv:

It depends. I got my citizenship within 5 months with name change.

Trust me, it's totally worth it!

Best of luck on your naturalization journey.

08/25/2010-01/06/2011

Name_form.jpg

Just Bob, your alien number is on the document you just posted... you may need to remove it ASAP....

Timeline

unless you consider $680 to be nothing, you never legally change your name in this country for free. With that said, naturalization is probably the easiest route for immigrants to legally change their names once and for all (I did and I am happy).

And I agree with Bob, you can change your name to whatever you want, add as many as given names/surnames you want through naturalization. Actually I am curious if there is anyone apply to change their names to names on the No Fly List.

I think what Sand meant by "for free" is that we have to pay $680 anyways so it's a good deal to use this opportunity so you don't have to pay more later. ;)

Thanks for posting your experience too and about the No Fly List I'd never heard about it so I looked it up on Google but didn't find a list with names. It would be awful changing the name to one on that list by accident. lol :jest:

It depends. I got my citizenship within 5 months with name change.

Trust me, it's totally worth it!

Best of luck on your naturalization journey.

Thank you very much! :star:

yPnbm4.png

2003i9szfhw0aa.jpg

f2MWm5.png

View my Timeline

Timeline

Just Bob, your alien number is on the document you just posted... you may need to remove it ASAP....

OMGSH! It's true! :o

yPnbm4.png

2003i9szfhw0aa.jpg

f2MWm5.png

View my Timeline

Filed: Other Timeline

Born on Alderaan, Lucas Skywalker was an alien. Thus, he has an alien number. Nobody escapes the fangs of the United States immigration force, not even an extraterrestrial from a galaxy far, far away.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

OMGSH! It's true! :o

I think you folks worried for nothing. That piece of paper does not look legitimate whatsoever. I have one of those myself and I can tell you it's a fake.

08/25/2010-01/06/2011

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.