Danno

Study: Most high school biology teachers don’t endorse evolution

58 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I know what you mean. But when you are studying certain things, the entire focus is not how it came to be that way. You learn the theory of how it came to be, then you focus on what it actually does at present. If you get a job that relates to one area of science that does not deal with discussing evolution every day, then it wouldn't be a hard thing. I have known several Christians who were creationists that did well at their scientific jobs. Did everyone else at their job know what they believed? Possibly.

It really isn't as hard as some here try to make it. If you learned nothing else in college, you learned how to regurgitate the facts as the instructor deemed them to be, and how to regurgitate a contrary set of facts for the next professor.

It really isn't as hard as some here try to make it. If you learned nothing else in college, you learned how to regurgitate the facts as the instructor deemed them to be, and how to regurgitate a contrary set of facts for the next professor.

I don't know what science classes you were in, but the ones I was in didn't test you on the ceoncepts, they tested you on your understand of the concepts by applying them to something.

some things I thought were silly for a pre-med student...

botany - does your doctor really need to know how to draw tons of pictures of flowers and label them? *vom*

zoology - ok I guess I can understand this but being required to name all the muscles on a cat I skinned isn't going to help me with humans (and the smell of embalming fluid does not make skinning a cat any easier to stomach :dead: )

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

I don't know what science classes you were in, but the ones I was in didn't test you on the ceoncepts, they tested you on your understand of the concepts by applying them to something.

Exactly. Even there, I had couple professors that I disagreed with, but still gave the solutions in the way expected. Combinatorics and Senior Seminar come to mind. I had a Physics professor that got tossed out of Berkeley, and had to teach at the junior college I attended for lower division. The whole class rebelled against him, and the Department Head reprimanded him in front of the class.

Math and Computer Science, mostly, with lower division Biology, Physics, and Chemistry tossed in.

Exactly. Even there, I had couple professors that I disagreed with, but still gave the solutions in the way expected. Combinatorics and Senior Seminar come to mind. I had a Physics professor that got tossed out of Berkeley, and had to teach at the junior college I attended for lower division. The whole class rebelled against him, and the Department Head reprimanded him in front of the class.

Math and Computer Science, mostly, with lower division Biology, Physics, and Chemistry tossed in.

how the hell did I make so many f'ing typos in my post! I blame my phone.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Must be a Protestant thing. I attended parochial (Catholic) school grades 5-9, and nary a word about creationism. The rest was in public schools. I took Biology in grade 10, had a crush on the biology teacher, and I don't remember much else. I took biology in college 12 years later, and things sure changed a lot since 1972, when we only had a basic understanding of cell structure.

Ya...its really a Protestant thing. I took some classes at a Protestant University and the definitely shot down evolution and stuck to Christ on Dinosaurs :wacko: As a Catholic, I was really surprised by this cuz it ain't what we learned...but it was intersting to see another point of view.

“Acquire the spirit of peace and a thousand souls around you will be saved.” Saint Seraphim of Sarov

jesus-animated-gif-image-0110.gif

“The love of one’s country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?” Pablo Cassals

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Ya...its really a Protestant thing. I took some classes at a Protestant University and the definitely shot down evolution and stuck to Christ on Dinosaurs :wacko: As a Catholic, I was really surprised by this cuz it ain't what we learned...but it was intersting to see another point of view.

Dumb really. Christians should have jumped in it and claimed "Of course God created evolution, do you think he is stupid?" But they missed that boat a long time ago.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

:lol: my friend works with a guy who preaches to them about that. this guy is also super lazy and lies about the other workers to make himself look better. he blames all the lack of work on them. so one day they were having a meeting to discuss what was going wrong and the guy lied again. my friend looked at him and said something like 'now...are you sure that's how it happened? what would jesus do?' :lol:

Timeline

Dumb really. Christians should have jumped in it and claimed "Of course God created evolution, do you think he is stupid?" But they missed that boat a long time ago.

Nah...Christians didn't miss the boat. There are plenty of Christians who believe in either Deistic or Theistic Evolution...which basically say that God kicked off evolution...something along those lines. However, this type of sensible thought process doesn't grab as much media as the creationist's stance, which is obviously much more fun :star:

I like Buddhism's theory of the creation of all 'known things'. In short, Buddhist are the only religion which does NOT have a creation (Genesis) story in their theology. They basically consider it a waste of time to ponder that which we can never know...probably not a bad position, logically speaking... :help:

“Acquire the spirit of peace and a thousand souls around you will be saved.” Saint Seraphim of Sarov

“The love of one’s country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?” Pablo Cassals

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Nah...Christians didn't miss the boat. There are plenty of Christians who believe in either Deistic or Theistic Evolution...which basically say that God kicked off evolution...something along those lines. However, this type of sensible thought process doesn't grab as much media as the creationist's stance, which is obviously much more fun :star:

I like Buddhism's theory of the creation of all 'known things'. In short, Buddhist are the only religion which does NOT have a creation (Genesis) story in their theology. They basically consider it a waste of time to ponder that which we can never know...probably not a bad position, logically speaking... :help:

I thought I was not religious at all and now I find out I am Buddhist.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I thought I was not religious at all and now I find out I am Buddhist.

:rofl:

:thumbs:

They are not wrong, at least in terms of there being no point in asking why the universe exists. How it exists however is a very interesting and not in the least waste of time question.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .