^_^

20% of transgenders are either in the military or are veterans

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Well, that is less than the rate of the population at large, where 34% of the men are veterans. I wonder what the percentages were for the various services. We do know the Presidio of Monterey, DLIFLC, seems to attract an unusually high percentage of LBGT's.

Edited by Some Old Guy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, that is less than the rate of the population at large, where 34% of the men are veterans. I wonder what the percentages were for the various services. We do know the Presidio at Monterey, DLIFLC, seems to attract an unusual percentage of LBGT's.

Actually, if you read it, you would see that it is more than the population at large, which is 10%. You can't compare just to men when there are both male and female trans people in the military. I don't really see what the point is regardless, but it is higher than the general population.

AOS (from tourist w/overstay)

1/26/10 - NOA

5/04/10 - interview appt - approved

ROC

2/06/12 - NOA date

7/31/12 - card production ordered

N-400

2/08/13 - NOA date

3/05/13 - biometrics appt

6/18/13 - interview - passed!

7/18/13 - oath ceremony

Actually, if you read it, you would see that it is more than the population at large, which is 10%. You can't compare just to men when there are both male and female trans people in the military. I don't really see what the point is regardless, but it is higher than the general population.

Huh? What is 10%?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Huh? What is 10%?

10% of the general population have been or are currently in the military vs. 20% of trans people

AOS (from tourist w/overstay)

1/26/10 - NOA

5/04/10 - interview appt - approved

ROC

2/06/12 - NOA date

7/31/12 - card production ordered

N-400

2/08/13 - NOA date

3/05/13 - biometrics appt

6/18/13 - interview - passed!

7/18/13 - oath ceremony

10% of the general population have been or are currently in the military vs. 20% of trans people

So much for discrimination in the military, then, if they are over represented. What percentages of transgenders are biological males?

If 34% of the male population are veterans, I question your 10% number. I couldn't wait for AJ's link to load. I gave up after a couple minutes.

Census 2000 counted

208.1 million civilians

18 and older in the

United States.

Within

this population,

approximately

26.4 million or

12.7 percent were veterans. Census data

define a civilian veteran as someone 18 and

older who is not currently on active duty,

but who once served

on active duty in the

United States Army,

Navy, Air Force,

Marine Corps, or

Coast Guard, or who

served in the

Merchant Marine during World War II.

This

definition includes

people who served for

even a short time

Although women made up only

6.0 percent of the total veteran

population in 2000, their numbers

have steadily increased, as shown

in Figure 2. Of the 26.4 million

veterans in the United States in

2000, 24.8 million were men and

1.6 million were women.

http://www.census.gov/prod/2003pubs/c2kbr-22.pdf

In 2000, there were approx 1.4 million Active Duty Military personnel.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0004598.html

Your 10% number is not unreasonable. The number is probably closer to 13%, still lower than the 20% stated in the OP post.