Radvill

How to get married in the USA, even if we live abroad

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello Visa Journey Friends,

I am currently a missionary in the Philippines, but I am from the USA. About a year and a half ago, I met a very special Filipino man. I want to spend my life with him. He has not met my family except through skype, but, as the female that I am, I really want my family to know him and to be present at the wedding.

I am required to leave the Philippines for a short period of time by law this fall because of my short term visa status. They require me to leave and reenter the Philippines.

I will be to raising funds from local churches in the USA at that time. I want him to go with me, meet my family there, and have a small wedding. We would then return to the Philippines and continue working in missions. What is the best way to do this? Should he just get a visitor visa to the USA? Can we marry then?

I know that a fiancee visa really only make sense if we were going to LIVE in the USA. Am I right?

I'm new at this, so any help would be wonderful!

Thank you so much in advance for your help,

Radvill

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

This IS one of the functions of a K-1, to allow entry to USA for marriage, you are not required to remain in the USA and adjust status, you can always return to home country and later file an I-130 for a spouse visa when the time comes.

From what I see getting a visitors visa in high visa fraud countries is quite hard.

Moving to regional.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

hi Radvill,

maybe you could check this out: http://www.visajourney.com/content/dcf

Direct Consular Filing...

You petition him there in US Embassy Manila.

Here's a thread that did it successfully: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/278604-dcf-manila-philippines-we-did-it/

Good luck and God Bless...

Oooppss didn't quite read it right, you want your family to meet him... so it's either tourist visa or K1 first before you marry..

Edited by J.W.

USCIS: IR-5

03/22/2010 - Sent I-130 for Both Parents via Express Mail

03/23/2010 - I-130 RCVD by USCIS

03/31/2010 - NOA 1 Receipt Date

04/14/2010 - NOA 1 RCVD

09/22/2010 - Approved

09/28/2010 - RCVD NOA 2

NVC:

10/06/2010 - NVC RCVD our Case from USCIS

10/12/2010 - All Day trying to Call NVC; line is sooo BUSY.

10/13/2010 - @ 1:28 AM CT I RCVD an email from NVC for my Mom's Case# & to pay AOS fee bill of $88. Haven't RCVD any yet for my Dad's petition.

10/13/2010 - @ 3:49 AM CT I RCVD an email from NVC for my Mom's DS-3032

10/13/2010 - @ 5:08 AM CT Emailed NVC to registered our respective Email Add'es.

10/13/2010 - @ 2:47 PM CT Finally got thru to NVC & registered our Email Add'es & Got my Dad's NVC Case#. Yey!

10/14/2010 - Paid AOS fee of $88.00 for Both Parents

10/14/2010 - Emailed DS 3032

10/15/2010 - @ 10:30 PM RCVD an email from NVC for my Dad's ACL Universal

10/16/2010 - @ 12:53 PM RCVD Signed DOCS package from my Parents

10/19/2010 - @ 12:33 AM AOS shown as PAID & Printed the AOS Cover Sheet

10/20/2010 - Sent DS 3032 Hard Copy

10/25/2010 - DS 3032 Delivered

10/28/2010 - Sent I-864 (AOS) on the Mail

10/28/2010 - @ 4:49 AM DS 3032 Accepted

11/01/2010 - IV Fee Bill Generated

11/02/2010 - AOS Delivered

11/15/2010 - My Parents RCVD their NEW Passports, PAID IV Fee Bill of $404 for each Parent

11/16/2010 - IV Fee Bill shown as PAID & Printed the coversheet

12/02/2010 - DS 230 Mailed

12/30/2010 - NVC emailed me Case Complete

01/18 & 19/2011 - Medical DONE

02/03/2011 - Interview @8:30 AM APPROVED!!!

02/09/2011 - Visa on Hand

03/11/2011 - Fly out, POE: San Fo

yep K-1 is your best bet since you are not planning on staying in the US. You could try for a tourist, but most likely it will get denied (but you wont know if you dont try). How long until your trip to leave the PI? You can probably bet on waiting for 5-8 months for the K-1.

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I won't be leaving until the Fall which is why i want to plan ahead. Thank you for all of your advice. This is all very confusing :)

yep K-1 is your best bet since you are not planning on staying in the US. You could try for a tourist, but most likely it will get denied (but you wont know if you dont try). How long until your trip to leave the PI? You can probably bet on waiting for 5-8 months for the K-1.

It is at first until you read and understand the process. Yeah you will want to apply as soon as you can so hopefully the visa will be issued by the end of summer. Good luck! There are many knowledgeable people on this forum to help along the way.

For our Full timeline

event.png

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

How about try for a tourist visa first.. and if it is unsuccessful go for a k1?

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

I'm not certain, but I don't think it's allowed to use a tourist visa to enter the U.S. with the intention of getting married.

Also, if your fiancé uses a K-1 visa to enter the U.S. and get married, I believe there are restrictions on the amount of time he can remain outside of the U.S. when he has his conditional (two-year) Green Card. You might want to check into this.

I'm not certain, but I don't think it's allowed to use a tourist visa to enter the U.S. [i]with the intention of getting married.[/i]Also, if your fiancé uses a K-1 visa to enter the U.S. and get married, I believe there are restrictions on the amount of time he can remain outside of the U.S. when he has his conditional (two-year) Green Card. You might want to check into this.

the OP has stated that there is no intent to immigrant, so as long as the then husband returns to the Philippines before his I-94 expires, then I don't think there would be a problem. getting a tourist visa could prove to be difficult.

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

I'm not certain, but I don't think it's allowed to use a tourist visa to enter the U.S. with the intention of getting married.

Also, if your fiancé uses a K-1 visa to enter the U.S. and get married, I believe there are restrictions on the amount of time he can remain outside of the U.S. when he has his conditional (two-year) Green Card. You might want to check into this.

I was going to suggest the tourist visa, but that is a sticky situation...Unfortunatly the only good answer is to do the K-1 since it is intended for marriage, but there is no law about getting married on a tourist visa....you arent supposed to use that as a stepping stone for immigration. We know that isnt what the OP is trying to do, but they have to convince the consulate and immigration officer when they enter the US of their intentions.

They arent planning on filing for adjustment of status...just come to the US and get married. Then return back to the philippines.

For our Full timeline

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.