yassmine2878

A little trouble understanding DCF rules

6 posts in this topic

Ive been doing alot of research on the DCF guides in these last few days and Im a little confused. I understand Ill probably have to be living there for awhile first, we get married of course, and then we file. But to whom/where? USCIS? Consulate? Im lost, please help! Could someone give me a bit of a breakdown of how this (theoretically) plays out? Ahmed and I are considering bailing out on the K-1 and starting over on a DCF, but we are trying to learn more before we jump off this bridge. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I would wait a little longer for the K1, If you start a different process it will just take longer.

See the post just after yours;

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29427

They just got their NOA2 from CSC from filing in April. CSC got backed up by IMBRA.

You should see something soon. :yes:

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My suggestion is that you go to the web-site of the Consulate/Embassy for the country where you plan on getting married and check-out what they have to say about filing for a DCF. I know in a lot of countries there is no residency requirements except for both people. Only one needs to be a resident. And under some circumstances where the country does not have a Consulate/Embassy you would go to the nearest country that would handle that country. At least that was the way it was with me.

filing for a DCF is relatively easy. The trick is to make sure you have ALL the documents which the Consulate requires. If you are missing one single piece of paper they won't accept your package. A DCF is generally much faster and easier then filing anything in the States.

<span style='color:purple'>Marriage : 2005-04-30</span>

<span style='color:red'> I-130

I-130 Sent : 2005-05-19

I-130 NOA1 : 2005-05-23

I-130 Approval : 2005-08-25 </span>

<span style='color:blue'> I-129F (<!--WORD2URL-01--><!--END WORD2URL-01-->K-3<!--WORD2URL-02--><!--END WORD2URL-02-->

I-129F Sent : 2005-07-23

I-129F NOA1 : 2005-07-27

I-129F Touched : 2005/8/10

I-129F Touched : 2005/8/17

I-129F Touched : 2005/8/23

I-129F NOA2 : 2005-08-23 </span>

<span style='color:green'><!--WORD2URL-01--><!--END WORD2URL-01-->NVC<!--WORD2URL-02--><!--END WORD2URL-02--> Received : 2005-08-24

<!--WORD2URL-01--><!--END WORD2URL-01-->NVC<!--WORD2URL-02--><!--END WORD2URL-02--> Left : 2005-08-26</span>

The trick is to make sure you have ALL the documents which the Consulate requires. If you are missing one single piece of paper they won't accept your package.

YUP!!! this is very true.... there was a couple in front of my husband and I in Algiers who didnt have the husband's latest income tax returns and was planning on staying in the country for a while and had no clue how to get them... and the consulate wouldnt accept his file.

What REALLY helped me file my DCF was the constant emailing back and forth with the Embassy. the consular assistant in Algiers was really great about answering my questions and extremely helpful. without all the information they gave me i probably wouldn't have had everything exactly as i needed it, even though its pretty well spelled out on their website. try to get in touch with the embassy where you will be filing. you have to find out the EXACT requirements. in Algiera, i wasnt required to be a resident, but there are countries in which that is required. if that is the case and you are not already a resident, it would probably be just as quick to file in the US.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Ive been doing alot of research on the DCF guides in these last few days and Im a little confused. I understand Ill probably have to be living there for awhile first, we get married of course, and then we file. But to whom/where? USCIS? Consulate? Im lost, please help! Could someone give me a bit of a breakdown of how this (theoretically) plays out? Ahmed and I are considering bailing out on the K-1 and starting over on a DCF, but we are trying to learn more before we jump off this bridge. Any information is greatly appreciated.

hi yassmine,

I tried to break the steps out in the Guide for you, did you try these links yet?

I would also google 'morrocco dcf' and use the advanced VJ search to find others who have already done this. I believe that Casa has some particular rules for their DCF cases, so make sure you read that under their Immigrant Visa webpage section.

Casablanca does not have a USCIS Field Office, so you can tick that off your list.

How To Learn If You Can Do Direct Consular Filing for a Spouse

1. Find the website for your Consulate here: http://usembassy.state.gov/ and browse their information for Immigrant Visas. In particular, look for what they have to say about filing the petition. You want information about filing it with the Consulate, not in the US.

Often, the language on the websites is vague. Keep in mind that “resident” may mean something different than what you expect and may at its least simply mean, “physically present”. No matter the case, if you are going to file directly, you must be physically in the country to do so.

1b. doesn't apply.

2. Confirm directly with the Consulate in question that they will offer this service to you.

If you are not a resident of the foreign country, this is a courtesy, a favor, a little something extra from them to you, the USC. The Consulates are not required to do it and their policies and rules change from time to time, often when a new Consul General is appointed in a country.

Always double check the Consulate’s current policy before making your plans!

----------------------

Please see the DCF Guide for the rest of this section: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...om&page=dcf

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

hi yassmine,

I tried to break the steps out in the Guide for you, did you try these links yet?

I would also google 'morrocco dcf' and use the advanced VJ search to find others who have already done this. I believe that Casa has some particular rules for their DCF cases, so make sure you read that under their Immigrant Visa webpage section.

Oh thank you meauxna! I really appreciate this google idea, Ive been so hell bent on reading up VJ guides that I didnt even think about google. Much obliged to ya :) :)

Edited by yassmine2878

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.