32 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

What Republican in his right mind would "give" a homeless person anything before he started working? :angry:

But, the Democrat would do exactly that, so the bum could get a dime of crack, a microwave burrito, a bottle of Morgan David, a refill on his cell phone, and a #######.

You do know that the majority of homeless people are veterans, right?

Prove it. If half the homeless that called themselves Vietnam Vets actually were, we never would have lost in Vietnam.

In 2005, the U.S. Conference of Mayors' survey of 24 American cities found that 11% of the homeless population were veterans.

http://www.nationalhomeless.org/factsheets/who.html

Edited by Some Old Guy

Prove it. If half the homeless that called themselves Vietnam Vets actually were, we never would have lost in Vietnam.

Prove it? I don't need to. The statistics are out there, look it up. Just so you know, the studies that are done on homelessness to not rely on the personal anecdotes of the homeless to verify their vet status. ')

You do realiase that American armed forces have been involved in more than a few conflicts since Vietnam, don't you?

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Prove it? I don't need to. The statistics are out there, look it up. Just so you know, the studies that are done on homelessness to not rely on the personal anecdotes of the homeless to verify their vet status. ')

You do realiase that American armed forces have been involved in more than a few conflicts since Vietnam, don't you?

As usual, you have nothing to back up your claims.

Some interesting information. Does not back up MC's statement.

Are veterans more likely than other populations to be homeless?

Yes. About 40% of homeless men are veterans, although veterans comprise only 34 percent of the general adult male population, according to research on veterans by the National Coalition for Homeless. On any given night, 200,000 veterans are homeless.

What are some other demographics of homeless people?

Racial and ethnic minorities, particularly African-Americans, are overrepresented.

* 39% are non-Hispanic whites (compared to 76% of the general population)

* 42% are African-Americans (compared to 11% of the general population)

* 13% are Hispanic (compared to 9% of the general population)

* 4% are Native-American (compared to 1% of the general population)

* 2% were Asian

Note: The above figures are based on a 2006 study (pdf) by the US Conference of Mayors.

Homelessness continues to be a largely urban phenomenon.

* 71% are in central cities

* 21% are in suburbs

* 9% are in rural areas

Note: The above figures are based on 1996 data from Samhsha's National Mental Health Information Center.

People who are homeless frequently report health problems.

* 38% report alcohol use problems

* 26% report other drug use problems

* 39% report some form of mental health problems (20-25% meet criteria for serious mental illness)

* 66% report either substance use and/or mental health problems

* 3% report having HIV/AIDS

* 26% report acute health problems other than HIV/AIDS such as tuberculosis, pneumonia, or sexually transmitted diseases

* 46% report chronic health conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes, or cancer

Note: The above figures are based on 1996 data from Samhsha's National Mental Health Information Center.

http://www.pbs.org/now/shows/526/homeless-facts.html

Some interesting information. Does not back up MC's statement.

OK, 40% isn't a majority, but it is the majority of identifiable classifications, and it's a bloody big number to disrespect.

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

You didn't even read your own quoted website, priceless. :lol:

Read again.

OK, 40% isn't a majority, but it is the majority of identifiable classifications, and it's a bloody big number to disrespect.

40% of the men. Why are you disrespecting women and children?

Yes, it is a big number.

Also note that the 40% is among homeless men. The number would be smaller if one were to look at the entire homeless population.

Edited by \

Yes, it is a big number.

Also note that the 40% is among homeless men. The number would be smaller if one were to look at the entire homeless population.

Right, but men make up around 75% of all homeless people. It also says that a lot of women who are homeless made a choice to be homeless as apposed to live in an abusive household.

Read again.

40% of the men. Why are you disrespecting women and children?

How am I disrespecting anyone? I'm not the one who calls homeless people bums.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'd sure like to know this Republican who not only offered a homeless man a job but gave him a $20 bill, because there aren't any like that, that post here. If it were a Right Winger from VJ, he'd have shot the homeless guy in the back and claimed it was in self defense because they guy gave off a foul odor.

Wait a sec....this is one of them gay Republican jokes, right? A $20 #######. That is pretty funny. :lol:

Edited by 8TBVBN

Right, but men make up around 75% of all homeless people.

Wrong again. It is a word problem.

Most studies show that single homeless adults are more likely to be male than female. In 2007, a survey by the U.S. Conference of Mayors found that of the population surveyed 35% of the homeless people who are members of households with children are male while 65% of these people are females. However, 67.5% of the single homeless population is male, and it is this single population that makes up 76% of the homeless populations surveyed (U.S. Conference of Mayors, 2007).

(67.5% x 76%) + ( 35% x (100 - 76)% = 51.3% + 8.4% = 59.7% male, 40.3% female

ETA: Are there homeless couples with no children included somewhere in these numbers?

Edited by Some Old Guy