Chasen.s

Our K-1 Fiance visa

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

OK so got a question, for anyone in the military going threw the same thing we are. Once our K-1 is accepted, does my fiance have to stay in the states? Or can she come with me to my next duty station to germany? im talking once its approved and she comes to the states and we are married?

K-1 Filed - Feb 09

NOA1 - Feb 14

NOA1 hardcopy - Feb 18

NOA2 - On its way to us :D

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Does she have authorization to go on the orders with you as a spouse and reside on base with you?

She will need to file for AOS and get her green card before leaving and must live ON the base.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Does she have authorization to go on the orders with you as a spouse and reside on base with you?

She will need to file for AOS and get her green card before leaving and must live ON the base.

Not yet, once we married then she will. But this is just a question for down the road alittle

K-1 Filed - Feb 09

NOA1 - Feb 14

NOA1 hardcopy - Feb 18

NOA2 - On its way to us :D

Timeline

Not yet, once we married then she will. But this is just a question for down the road alittle

She will need to be listed on the orders and she will be fine, she can apply for removal of conditions from Germany (if you guys still live there at that time) as long as she has her 2yr conditional green card and she stays living on the base with you.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Exactly as long as she lives with you in germany (doesnt have to live ON base)and is command sponsored, you will have no issues. Biggest thing is the command sponsored thing...get her on your orders.. I am hoping to go to Italy by the end of the year. The time your wife will spend with you will count toward her citizenship clock too.

Overseas Naturalization for Spouses of Military Members

The National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2008 added Section 319(e) to the INA which allows certain eligible spouses of service members to naturalize abroad without traveling to the United States for any part of the naturalization process and also treats qualifying residence abroad as residence and physical presence in the U.S. for purposes of naturalization.

In general, to be eligible for naturalization abroad pursuant to section 319(e) of the INA, the permanent resident spouse of a member of the U.S. armed forces must:

Be authorized to accompany the service member abroad pursuant to the member's official orders

Be residing abroad with the member in marital union

Meet the requirements of either Section 316(a) or 319(a) of the INA at the time of filing the naturalization application, except for the residence and physical presence requirements.

Section 319(a) applies to spouses of U.S. citizens who have been permanent residents for 3 years immediately preceding the date of filing the naturalization application and who have lived in marital union with their citizen spouses for at least those 3 years. Section 316(a) applies to spouses who have been permanent residents for 5 years immediately preceding the date of filing the naturalization application.

For more information, including how to apply, see the “Fact Sheet: Requirements for Naturalization Abroad by Spouses of Members of the U.S. armed forces” link to the right.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=8aa13e4d77d73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=8aa13e4d77d73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Edited by Scott and Mhay

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

Timeline

Exactly as long as she lives with you in germany (doesnt have to live ON base)and is command sponsored, you will have no issues. Biggest thing is the command sponsored thing...get her on your orders.. I am hoping to go to Italy by the end of the year. The time your wife will spend with you will count toward her citizenship clock too.

We were told by the immigration help on base that you have to live on the base, with your husband, and your 2yr green card to maintain legal US presence.

No you dont....call the military helpline. Italy has no on base housing...so just being command sponsored is all you need. Also, not everyone can live on base...on base housing is limited.

For naturalization purposes, the time eligible spouses have spent abroad on official military orders may count for both continuous residency and physical presence in the United States.

Individuals applying for naturalization abroad as the spouse of a member of the armed forces must live in marital union with that member of the armed forces. However, involuntary separations due to circumstances beyond their control, such as military deployments, do not prevent naturalization.

A spouse of a member of the armed forces must have official military orders authorizing them to accompany their spouse abroad, and must accompany or live with that member of the armed forces as provided in those orders.

Note that only those eligible spouses who prefer naturalization abroad should apply for that option. Those who prefer to apply for naturalization in the United States may still elect to do so. Eligible spouses who live abroad and want to naturalize abroad should follow these instructions

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=198e27964cebc110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD&vgnextchannel=68439c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Edited by Scott and Mhay

For our Full timeline

event.png

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

also check the instruction out on the bottom of the first page for military residing overseas:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-751instr.pdf

For our Full timeline

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.