bob10

can i apply for k1 fiancee visa while i'm a student in the uk

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hii i'm a student in the uk and my gf is from the u.s. i want to apply for k1 fiancee visa but i'm not sure if i'm eligible to apply from the uk as i'm a student here( i have resident permit) but i'm not a british citizen nor a permanant resident! so my question is can i apply at the us embassy in london or shall i go back to my country ( Lebanon) and apply at the us embassy at beirut?? she wants to send out the I-129 form but we still haven't got an answer for that question yet. we called the us embassy in london but they didn't give us an answer , they gave us a us embassy link but it wasn't helpful. have anyone been in sucha situation ??? thanks in advance

I believe that as you are there for a long period of time with a permit you should be able to mark down London as your embassy of choice for interview.

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

I agree. Put down London if you will be in the UK another 8-10 months down the road. I know several foreign students who have interviewed in London. Keep in mind that most non-UK born applicants I have encounter in the UK forum have not gotten their K1 visa immediately after the interview. They have all been put in Additional Processing or Administrative Processing(?) and made to wait an additional 4-8 weeks before the visa is approved. It's extra optional security checks I believe. So don't be making any fancy wedding plans based on London timelines because you could be delayed.

And look at your approved stay in the UK and make sure it's not going to expire or have to be renewed during your K1 process. One of our regulars in the UK forum a while back MARM had an ordeal. Her fiance applied in November to extend his student visa through March to finish a course. The UK home office kept his application and passport for something like 7 months. He couldn't go to his interview for the visa without the passport so they kept re-scheduling. He couldn't leave the UK without a passport. They tried everything to get the UKHO to release his passport. Then once they got the passport back, there were processing delays. Just wanted to point out a potential problem if the UK student visa doesn't have plenty of time left on it.

Here's MARM's timeline with all her issues written in the comment section. http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=57966

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Thank you so much for your help. well i still have like 9 months left on my uk visa and my gf is going to send off the I-129 form in 2 weeks so i think i will be fine till then. but i still have some questions: and i hope that someone might be able to give me answers.

1_ what is gonna happen if my uk visa expried while my passport was at the us embassy in london ?? i mean what if they take a long time to issue the k1 visa for me after the interview and my uk visa expired while they have my passport at the us embassy!! am i gonna be in trouble with the uk authorities ?? or can i call the home office and let them know the situation and then they will understand my situation ??

2_ if my uk visa was about to expire or it did expire while my passport was at the us embassy. then they still would issue me the k1 visa regardless the validation of my uk visa ?? or they won't do that since i don't have a valid visa in the uk anymore!!? would the us embassy really care about my uk visa validation in this case?

3_ my gf lives and works in kentucky but when i go there we will live in florida as she has ownership of a house with her dad in florida. and she will take time off work next month to come and stay with me for 6 months here in the uk. she won't lose her job. she just will take leave to remain from her job for 6 months. will that affect the affidavit of support that she will do to sponsor me ?? or is it ok since she still has her job? and she is just on holiday?

there won't be no one to keep us updated and send us the USCIS letters in kentucky while she is here with me. so we don't want to recieve any updates from the USCIS to kentucky address. so can she put her home address as Florida as her dad will keep us updated while we are here in england and not even mention kentucky on the whole I-129 and G-325 forms?? or is it gonna be a problem if they did background check and found out that she has been living and working in kentucky the whole time?

i also read that her address and the address where i'm going to live when i get there should be the same. otherwise it will be suspecious! so what can we do about this ? shall she put 2 addresses or it doesn't really matter if she claims to live in a different state?

any help is highly appreciated and thanks again.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Thank you so much for your help. well i still have like 9 months left on my uk visa and my gf is going to send off the I-129 form in 2 weeks so i think i will be fine till then. but i still have some questions: and i hope that someone might be able to give me answers.

1_ what is gonna happen if my uk visa expried while my passport was at the us embassy in london ?? i mean what if they take a long time to issue the k1 visa for me after the interview and my uk visa expired while they have my passport at the us embassy!! am i gonna be in trouble with the uk authorities ?? or can i call the home office and let them know the situation and then they will understand my situation ??

2_ if my uk visa was about to expire or it did expire while my passport was at the us embassy. then they still would issue me the k1 visa regardless the validation of my uk visa ?? or they won't do that since i don't have a valid visa in the uk anymore!!? would the us embassy really care about my uk visa validation in this case?

3_ my gf lives and works in kentucky but when i go there we will live in florida as she has ownership of a house with her dad in florida. and she will take time off work next month to come and stay with me for 6 months here in the uk. she won't lose her job. she just will take leave to remain from her job for 6 months. will that affect the affidavit of support that she will do to sponsor me ?? or is it ok since she still has her job? and she is just on holiday?

there won't be no one to keep us updated and send us the USCIS letters in kentucky while she is here with me. so we don't want to recieve any updates from the USCIS to kentucky address. so can she put her home address as Florida as her dad will keep us updated while we are here in england and not even mention kentucky on the whole I-129 and G-325 forms?? or is it gonna be a problem if they did background check and found out that she has been living and working in kentucky the whole time?

i also read that her address and the address where i'm going to live when i get there should be the same. otherwise it will be suspecious! so what can we do about this ? shall she put 2 addresses or it doesn't really matter if she claims to live in a different state?

any help is highly appreciated and thanks again.

If you are going to live in Florida then she needs to put that address as to where you will be lviing when you get here.If her dad is going to collect mail for her then his address is for all postal mail. Then he can forward on to her

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Going to make this brief. The UK Home Office was intolerable to deal with when MARM was sorting out problems. Don't count on them for any help or understanding or to even reply to your queries. Just hope your visa lasts. It could be close. You can't afford any mistakes or delays with requests for evidence and forwarding to the UK. Research the entire process. The I-129F petition is just the beginning. Many more forms and fees until you are allowed to live in the US. Read the link in my signature while you wait on your NOA2 so you get your London part of the process done in a timely manner like getting a police certificate from you home country, your birth certificate translated, etc.

Your whole scheme of her moving to the UK for 6 months is letting hormones unnecessarily complicate your process and possibly delay it. My advice is for her to stay put and keep working so she has the income to qualify on the Affidavit of Support and she won't have address problems/questions.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

Thank you all, you were so helpful. we are writing the fiance letter of intent and we wonder where the USCIS service center address at??? is it the one where she is going to send the I-129 form to which is in texas ?? or is every state has an USCIS service center ? and if so which one shall we write in the letter ?? we will live in Flotida!

Thank you all, you were so helpful. we are writing the fiance letter of intent and we wonder where the USCIS service center address at??? is it the one where she is going to send the I-129 form to which is in texas ?? or is every state has an USCIS service center ? and if so which one shall we write in the letter ?? we will live in Flotida!

Bob, slow everything down and look around you. There is a LOT of information available from people who've been through the experience before you. Mistakes are made when people either don't read instructions properly, worry too much about their situation being incredibly unique or race ahead without taking time to make sure things are done right.

At the top, there's a thick blue line with the words Guides in it. Click it and you'll find the instructions on petitioning for a K-1. Read them slowly, several times, follow them to the letter and if there is something that you truly cannot understand. Ask.

Use the Texas address, they won't throw it back because you didn't put the right USCIS address on your letters of intent.

And again, slow down and do it properly or you'll waste a lot of time. Have you considered that you file the I-129F and at the moment they're taking 5-6 months to process. Then the London Embassy part is going to take 2-3 more months, that's now 9 total just to get to your visa interview date. You've been told, accurately, that because a Lebanese national is going to mean you being in AP (Administrative Processing) for several weeks, if not months. Won't that mean your student visa will have expired?

Read MARM's experience on her timeline. The whole situation was incredibly stressful and upsetting. Make sure you have a back-up plan in place if you get close to your visa expiring and still haven't gone to interview or received your NOA1. Be realistic, don't try and cram it all in or make concrete plans to be processed and married by a certain time.

Also start planning for things you will need for the visa application process. What police certificates are you going to need and what is involved in getting them, for example.

Familiarize yourselves with this process. Immigration is going to be a major part of your life for several years to come.

Finally, no. Don't give up the job. There's just a lot of waiting for the petition approval and then it gets busy. You might want to think about her coming over to be with you while you go through the embassy and likely AP process, as that's the most stressful part of it all.

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

Timeline

Thanks guys. i understand it's a long process. and i think i'm gonna put down "US consulate of Beirut" instead of london. but is it ok if i put my uk address on all forms, and put Beirut, Lebanon for the question: your fiance will apply abroad at the us embassy in which consulate !! my address will be in a different country than the country where i'm gonna apply!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.