csoul

Immgrant Visa for parents approved in Caracas Embassy, now what?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Hello guys,

Finally my mom and dad completed the visa process for the green card (my sister did the I-130 petition about a year ago).

The US Embassy approved them and they took their passports (receiving the passport with the visa in 5 business days) saying that the immigrant visa will be good for 6 months.

Now the question is... we never fill any I-485 because they are living in Venezuela (not adjusting status) but now we are confused what is the process to get the actua Green Card. They gave a very basic instruccions saying that once they come to US they need to contact USCIS to get the Green Card...

I am thinking that they obviously need to come to US before the expiration of that 6 month immigrant visa and once here they need to fill a I-485 (about $1000 more per person!????) and wait here for the Biometrics appointment?

After the next travel to US they need to return to Venezuela to sell everything and prepare to come in a definitive way so we need to know how long they need to stay the next time they will come with the 6 monhts immigrant visa.

Thank you

05/25/10 - N-400 package delivered in Phoenix, AZ

06/04/10 - Check cashed

06/10/10 - NOA received

06/16/10 - Case available online

06/17/10 - Case online showing RFE (Biometrics notice) sent on 06/16/10

06/21/10 - Biometrics Letter Received

07/08/10 - Biometrics appointment

07/07/10 - Walk in Biometrics

08/06/10 - Email / Text for for new case status: "Test and Interview"

08/09/10 - Interview Appointment letter received for 09/13/10

09/13/10 - Interview Approved!

09/13/10 - Same Day Ceremony! I am a US Citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

They greencard will be sent to the US address they gave, usually within a month but it can take up to three months.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Thank you!

They greencard will be sent to the US address they gave, usually within a month but it can take up to three months.

05/25/10 - N-400 package delivered in Phoenix, AZ

06/04/10 - Check cashed

06/10/10 - NOA received

06/16/10 - Case available online

06/17/10 - Case online showing RFE (Biometrics notice) sent on 06/16/10

06/21/10 - Biometrics Letter Received

07/08/10 - Biometrics appointment

07/07/10 - Walk in Biometrics

08/06/10 - Email / Text for for new case status: "Test and Interview"

08/09/10 - Interview Appointment letter received for 09/13/10

09/13/10 - Interview Approved!

09/13/10 - Same Day Ceremony! I am a US Citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.