I AM NOT THAT GUY

Obama Laying Low on Egypt, Reporters Complain

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

White House reporters complain Obama is shutting them out

White House reporters criticized President Obama on Wednesday for providing too little information and access to the media during the crisis in Egypt.

In a letter to White House press secretary Robert Gibbs, the White House Correspondents' Association said its reporters have been left in the dark too often in recent days.

“Prior to the president's statement Tuesday night, the press corps had not received a substantive update from the White House all day on the situation in Egypt,” the letter read. “In addition, the press corps did not have an on-camera briefing, or an off-camera gaggle, with you yesterday to ask the White House about its decision-making process during this major foreign policy crisis.

“Now for two straight days the full press pool is being shut out of events that have typically been open and provided opportunities try to ask the [president] a question."

The letter also took issue with the White House's decision to only allow a small group of photographers into the Oval Office on Wednesday when Obama signed the New START treaty.

“The START treaty was held up as one of the president’s most important foreign policy priorities for almost a year dating back to the trip to Prague last spring,” the letter said. “We are concerned that now his signing of it is open to still photographers but closed to editorial, including print and wire reporters and television cameras.”

Gibbs, who is preparing to leave his position this month, responded at Wednesday's daily briefing, saying that events in Egypt have been “fluid and dynamic” and that has made updates difficult.

“We'll continue to keep you up to date as best we can on what goes on, knowing, quite honestly, that some things in foreign policy have to be done away from TV cameras,” Gibbs said. “Those are the types of direct and frank talks that the president had last night with President Mubarak.”

Gibbs defended the decision to allow only photographers into the treaty signing Wednesday, saying those decisions are “part of the coverage plans that have been in place for a bit now.”

He insisted that the decision to keep reporters out of the signing was based on fear of reporters shouting questions about Egypt to Obama.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/141745-white-house-reporters-complain-obama-is-shutting-them-out-on-egypt

Edited by Some Old Guy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

did you read it? :rolleyes:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

did you read it? :rolleyes:

Yes I did Charles. However, I seem to miss the part of the story that deals with the democratic congressional leadership, because the story I read was about the president withholding access to journalists and not updating them in intervals that they approve of.

Timeline

you obviously missed obama in that pic, standing next to the podium marked "honest leadership open government"

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Timeline

you obviously missed obama in that pic, standing next to the podium marked "honest leadership open government"

Sorry charles, maybe had you included text in addition to your fail pic it would make more sense. I would think a picture of the president with the press corps would be appropriate. But you took the lazy route. :devil:

Timeline

certainly not my fault you need readers to spot who is in the pic. :hehe:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Timeline

certainly not my fault you need readers to spot who is in the pic. :hehe:

Still a poor pic charles. I think something like this one would have been much better. It only took me 15 seconds to find it too. You're just lazy, or you have some sick fetish for nancy pelosi :P

20090325_obama_560x375.jpg

Timeline

Still a poor pic charles. I think something like this one would have been much better. It only took me 15 seconds to find it too. You're just lazy, or you have some sick fetish for nancy pelosi :P

20090325_obama_560x375.jpg

what are you, the pic police? :rofl:

eta: your pic does not have the front sign on the podium visible, so fail :hehe:

Edited by charles!

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Timeline

what are you, the pic police? :rofl:

eta: your pic does not have the front sign on the podium visible, so fail :hehe:

I think it's more on point to show the president addressing the media, whom this article is about, not the democratic leaders of congress. So you haven't denied it yet.....CHARLES LOVES NANCY PELOSI!!!!!

Timeline

I think it's more on point to show the president addressing the media, whom this article is about, not the democratic leaders of congress. So you haven't denied it yet.....CHARLES LOVES NANCY PELOSI!!!!!

good thing lunchtime is already over vomit-smiley.gif

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Timeline

A Charles/Pelosi/Franken sandwich? Wonder who is in the middle of that one :rofl:

i see your sordid imagination has taken over this thread. :unsure:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *