Sign in to follow this  
Johnny and Mor

Want to start K1, questions about J1

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Laos
Timeline

I have a friend that wants to start the K1 process. He wants to get engaged, but his girlfriend was recently in the States under a J1 visa.

Under J1 requirements,

"Upon their departure from the USA, many J visa holders are required to complete a mandatory two-year home-country physical presence prior to reentry to the United States under dual-intent visas, such as H1-B." -got this from Wiki

Has anyone been in a situation like this? Are there any ways to lift this requirement (besides proving hardship, persecution, as mentioned on wiki)? Or is he going to have to just wait it out?

Any insights appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

i was on a j1 visa last summer too and now i am going through the k1 process because i don't have the two-year residency requirement. Does she have that? It usually says on the visa - not subject to the two-year rule or subject to the two-year rule.

0041ss.jpg

event.png

K1 Visa
Nov 16, 2010 - I 129f sent
May 25, 2010 - NOA 2
June 6, 2011 - NVC received our petition
June 7, 2011 - case number assigned, petition sent to US consulate in Bucharest
June 27, 2011 - interview - approved
June 30, 2011 - POE Boston
August 14, 2011 - married

AOS journey
September 30, 2011 - filled for AOS and EAD
October 4, 2011 - NOA1
October 26, 2011 - Biometrics
October 26, 2011 - Case moved to CSC
November 23, 2011 -Email from USCIS - card production
November 28, 2011 - Email from USCIS - I485 approved!!!
November 29, 2011 - Welcome letter in the mail
December 5, 2011 - Green card in the mail - date issued 11/16/2011

Lifting Conditions

September 17, 2013 - Sent application

September 20, 2013 - NOA1

October 11, 2013 - Case moved to CSC

October 18, 2013 - Biometrics

January 3, 2014 - Approved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

What program did she participate in? If it was Summer Work & Travel she is fine. Mostly 2-year rule applies to those, who participates in government-funded exchange programs or people who pursued graduate-level education or training etc.

And gandacel is right - it says on the visa if the 2-year rule applies.

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

I believe you can find a Waiver for the 2 year home requirement, file it on the basis of wanting to get married.

TIMELINE

2 0 1 1

3rd Feb - 129f Sent

10th Feb - NOA1

16th May - NOA2

8th August - Interview in London. APPROVED!

29th August - POE at SFO

7th Oct - Married

10th Oct - AOS Filed

17th Oct - NOA Letter(s)

20th Oct - Biometrics Letter (for 14th Nov)

28th Oct - Biometrics (walk-in)

2 0 1 2

3 Jan - Service Request Put In

13 Jan - EAD Approved

17 Jan - Interview Notice Received

24 Jan - EAD in hand

16 Feb - Interview Date. APPROVED!

2 0 1 3 / 2 0 1 4

21 Nov - ROC Filed

2 Dec - NOA

6 Jan - Biometrics (walk-in)

15 May - Card Ordered / Approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.