diverdon

Green Card travel and middle name dilemma

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

We were married in NY 0n 8 August 2009. The clerk who issued our marriage license told us that my wife could not change her middle name by marriage only her last name. My wife told me that this was going to be a big problem because in the Philippines your former last name becomes your new middle name. Sure enough when we went to the Philippine embassy to renew my wife’s passport they would not accept her legal name, and they issued her new passport as Jane B Doe not Jane A Doe.

So my wife has two different names Jane B Doe on her green card and Jane A Doe on her passport. This caused a lot of worry in our house. So I came up with a good solution, I hired a lawyer to help my wife legally change her middle name from A to B. $2000 later it is done. We go to the NYS DMV and the Social Security office and report the name change and get new documents. Then we go to the USCIS to get a new Green card, and that is where the trouble starts.

USCIS received this application 04 Nov 2010, and sent us a receipt number LIN**********. Subsequently my wife was scheduled for Biometrics on 20 December, 2010. We were on time and completed the Biometrics that day. We expected the new green card to arrive shortly thereafter. Alas this has not happened.

When we go to the USCIS website and attempt to check our case by putting our case number (LIN**********) into their system the only reply we get is:

[Your case can not be found at this time in My Case Status. Please check your receipt number and try again. If you need further assistance, please call the National Customer Service Center at 1.800.375.5283.]

My Wife and I and our infant son have tickets to visit her family in the Philippines 10 February, 2011 and returning home to NY 13 April, 2011.

As our travel date approaches I needed to find out what was going on with this. So I called the number. The agent we spoke with (Jonathan) was uniquely unhelpful. The only useful information he was able to give us was that the USCIS in Nebraska was having computer trouble with all case numbers beginning with LIN. He seemed to enjoy inferring that it might take years to solve this problem.

As my wife and I are traveling with our son John (a US citizen) who at the time or our return home will be less than six month old we cannot chance some bureaucratic snafu separating our family. I do not know what to do. We have really been looking forward to this trip, further John’s grandmother would be crushed if we had to cancel this trip.

Is there any way to ascertain for certain that my wife will be able to use the green card she currently has to be able to return home with us even though this green card does not have her current legal name and may have been replaced by mail while we were gone? If this cannot be determined we will have to cancel the trip.

I emailed our congressman yesterday, but as yet we have not received any reply

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Replacement/corrected green cards take 6 months or longer to be processed generally.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

Replacement/corrected green cards take 6 months or longer to be processed generally.

Thank you for your reply, but I am not sure how this information helps us.

Generally, after biometrics it takes only a few weeks to get an new green card. Our Biometrics were done on 20 Dec,2010 so generally we should have a new card by now. Generally, you should be able to see where your case is by putting your number into the USCIS site. We can not. Generally, when you call the USCIS they can at least tell you where your case is. In our case they can or will not.

What we need to know is if my wife's green card will be good for a trouble free return on 13 Apr 2011. Or if someone has a method by which that can be discovered.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Where is your replacement being processed at?

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Generally, after biometrics it takes only a few weeks to get an new green card. Our Biometrics were done on 20 Dec,2010 so generally we should have a new card by now. Generally, you should be able to see where your case is by putting your number into the USCIS site. We can not. Generally, when you call the USCIS they can at least tell you where your case is. In our case they can or will not.

What we need to know is if my wife's green card will be good for a trouble free return on 13 Apr 2011. Or if someone has a method by which that can be discovered.

Try to go to your local USCIS and talk to them about your concern.

I'd say call the airlines asap to see if having a different names on your wife's passport and GC won't cause her any problem of being able to return home.

Immigration Timeline Summary

10.21.2008 – CR-1 Visa Application Filed (By Hubby's Sec)
09.04.2009 – Visa Interview | Passed
09.10.2009 – Visa Packet Received
09.17.2009 – US Entry | Home
07.05.2011 – ROC Petition Filed
05.01.2012 – ROC Approved (No Interview)
05.18.2012 – 10-year GC Received
06.19.2012 – Eligible to apply for Naturalization
(procrastinated)
06.24.2013 – N-400 Application Filed
09.30.2013 – Civics Test / Interview | Passed
10.03.2013 – Oath Taking Ceremony | Became a USCitizen!
04.14.2014 – Applied for "Expedite Service" Passport (as PI travel date was fast approaching)
04.16.2014 – Passport Issued & Shipped
04.17.2014 – US Passport Received

Our timeline vanished into thin air.

I've contacted the admin several times but I got zero response.

https://meiscookery.wordpress.com

We were married in NY 0n 8 August 2009. The clerk who issued our marriage license told us that my wife could not change her middle name by marriage only her last name. My wife told me that this was going to be a big problem because in the Philippines your former last name becomes your new middle name. Sure enough when we went to the Philippine embassy to renew my wife’s passport they would not accept her legal name, and they issued her new passport as Jane B Doe not Jane A Doe.

So my wife has two different names Jane B Doe on her green card and Jane A Doe on her passport. This caused a lot of worry in our house. So I came up with a good solution, I hired a lawyer to help my wife legally change her middle name from A to B. $2000 later it is done. We go to the NYS DMV and the Social Security office and report the name change and get new documents. Then we go to the USCIS to get a new Green card, and that is where the trouble starts.

USCIS received this application 04 Nov 2010, and sent us a receipt number LIN**********. Subsequently my wife was scheduled for Biometrics on 20 December, 2010. We were on time and completed the Biometrics that day. We expected the new green card to arrive shortly thereafter. Alas this has not happened.

When we go to the USCIS website and attempt to check our case by putting our case number (LIN**********) into their system the only reply we get is:

[Your case can not be found at this time in My Case Status. Please check your receipt number and try again. If you need further assistance, please call the National Customer Service Center at 1.800.375.5283.]

My Wife and I and our infant son have tickets to visit her family in the Philippines 10 February, 2011 and returning home to NY 13 April, 2011.

As our travel date approaches I needed to find out what was going on with this. So I called the number. The agent we spoke with (Jonathan) was uniquely unhelpful. The only useful information he was able to give us was that the USCIS in Nebraska was having computer trouble with all case numbers beginning with LIN. He seemed to enjoy inferring that it might take years to solve this problem.

As my wife and I are traveling with our son John (a US citizen) who at the time or our return home will be less than six month old we cannot chance some bureaucratic snafu separating our family. I do not know what to do. We have really been looking forward to this trip, further John’s grandmother would be crushed if we had to cancel this trip.

Is there any way to ascertain for certain that my wife will be able to use the green card she currently has to be able to return home with us even though this green card does not have her current legal name and may have been replaced by mail while we were gone? If this cannot be determined we will have to cancel the trip.

I emailed our congressman yesterday, but as yet we have not received any reply

It would be a lot safer to cancel your trip and wait for her greencard. USCIS might have processed your wife's paper and possibly cancelled her old greencard. It would be hard to guess your wife's status with USCIS not telling you anything. Be on the safer side.

The normal approach in your case, passport married name different greencard married name, is just to have a document from Philippines consulate indicating "one and the same person". And just bring all supporting documents (i.e birth certificate, marriage certificate, driver's license) in case someone asked for them.

Or just fly to the philippines even though passport and green card names are different, and just bring all supporting documents such as birth certificate, marriage certificate and US driver license. Me and my friend, been there done that. Me using passport with my maiden name and greencard in married name following philippines rule while my friend has her passport in her maiden name and her green card in her married name following US rule. We both had no problem in the POE.

And as per USCIS consul, change of name is free after naturalization.

K1 Process:

May 1, 2008 Submitted I-129F to CSC

May 8, 2008 Received by CSC

May 9, 2008 NOA1

May 18, 2008 Touched

October 9, 2008 RFE

October 28, 2008 RFE Reply

October 29, 2008 Touched

October 30, 2008 Touched

November 1, 2008 NOA2 (HardCopy)

November 11, 2008 Letter from NVC (Hardcopy)

November 14 & 17, 2008 Medical (Passed)

November 26, 2008 Interview (Passed)

December 5, 2008 Visa Received

December 23, 2008 US Entry (POE: Hawaii)

February 7, 2009 Private Wedding

AOS Process:

March 9, 2009 Mailed AOS Application via Express Mail (I-485, I-765, I-131)

March 10, 2009 USPS confirmed that AOS application was delivered and received in Chicago

March 18, 2009 Received NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

April 8, 2009 Biometrics Done

April 27, 2009 AP Approved

May 1, 2009 AP received in the mail

May 2, 2009 EAD card received in the mail

May 29, 2009 AOS interview (Approved)

June 29, 2009 GC received

ROC Process

March 1, 2011 Mailed I-175 Application via Express Mail

March 4 ,2011 NOA for I-175

April 05,2011 Biometrics [Early Biometrics March 22, 2011]

April 21,2011 Approval

April 27,2011 10 Year Green Card Received

Naturalization Process

March 6, 2012 Mailed N-400 Application via Express Mail

[/size]

Timeline

Thanks to all for the advice. We got a infopass appointment in Buffalo USCIS and spoke to an office there who assured us there would be no problem so long as we took all the legal name chance papers along with us.

• 11 months later...
Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Could you please update if your wife did end up going and if she had to go through any trouble while returing to US?

That person hasn't been on the VJ in almost a year.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.