Natashia

I-24 is already expired - Should I freak out????

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Mabuhay everyone!

Hi. The winter season made me feel even more anxious because of its ambiance plus my I-24 has been expired since December. I have met the requirement already marrying my fiance, who's my husband now. But it has been almost two months that I haven't applied the adjustment of status. I kept telling my husband that we should apply for it but he kept on saying we are still tight and it's just fine that we haven't applied the AOS yet coz there's a lot of cases like mine as long as it won't reach a year. Is it true? Should I really freak out? What should I do?

I would deeply appreciate any help for me to have more peaceful mind each day.

Thank you. God bless.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

FAQ: http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1k2visa-aos.html#6.1

6.1)...How soon after we get married should we apply for Adjustment of Status?

A..Right away, or at least right after your honeymoon. You should make every effort to get the Adjustment application filed within 90 days of the fiance(e) entering the United States, which is when the K-1 status expires, as indicated on the I-94.

Filing for Adjustment of Status within the 90 days protects your legal status. Your legal status as a K1 expires after 90 days, married or not. The only way to protect your legal status is to apply for Adjustment of Status, and the only way to maintain continuous legal status is to file for AOS before the K1 visa expires. On the practical side, it is often difficult to arrange for the marriage, and get all the paperwork ready in time to file for AOS within 90 days. Many newsgroup couples have filed for AOS a few days or weeks after the 90 day limit with no problems. Thus far, newsgroup experience has shown this is not a major issue with local USCIS (INS) offices.

File the AOS ASAP, you are accumulating out of status time, however it will be accepted. of out of status longer than 6 months then don't bother with I-130 and AP, the out of status time will prevent you returning to the USA even with AP doc.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Mabuhay everyone!

Hi. The winter season made me feel even more anxious because of its ambiance plus my I-24 has been expired since December. I have met the requirement already marrying my fiance, who's my husband now. But it has been almost two months that I haven't applied the adjustment of status. I kept telling my husband that we should apply for it but he kept on saying we are still tight and it's just fine that we haven't applied the AOS yet coz there's a lot of cases like mine as long as it won't reach a year. Is it true? Should I really freak out? What should I do?

I would deeply appreciate any help for me to have more peaceful mind each day.

Thank you. God bless.

Don't stress but you should try and get it done as soon as you can. As you have married and I-94 expired and all, you are in limbo can't work, can't travel and so on. So a good idea to get it done. A lot of people can't always get it done asap and leave it for ages but not recommended. Try and do it as soon as you can. Oh timeline would be great too so we can see where you're at.

Edited by Barbara J

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.