EasternDE

Teleworking for a Foreign Company and SS Taxes

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

I'm not sure where to post my question, I'll start here.

If you do telework for a foreign company but you did not maintain a residence in your home country and you do have a green card.

How do you declare those incomes?

As foreign income? or as self employed and then pay for the Social Security and Medicaid tax?

This is the french treaty:

http://www.ssa.gov/international/Agreement_Pamphlets/france.html

This treaty is pretty much the same as the one with Canada. I know they are a bunch of canadian people who keep on working by distance for their canadian company.

I have been reading a lot about this topic lately, had a conversation with the tax guy from my embassy here in the US, he is not even sure...

This seems to fall in a grey zone... There is no clear rules for teleworking....

Does any of you has knowledge on that topic?

What I'm concerned is how am I going to report my income next year.

Since I won't have any presence time in France for 2011, I will not be able to use the foreign income exclusion.

Do you canadian people who telework for a canadian company report your income every year as foreign income and then use the foreign tax credit?

Or just as self employed?

Pffff...

Last significant immigration event:

ROC: Approved : 04/17/2013

USCIS works in mysterious ways...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I'm not sure where to post my question, I'll start here.

If you do telework for a foreign company but you did not maintain a residence in your home country and you do have a green card.

How do you declare those incomes?

As foreign income? or as self employed and then pay for the Social Security and Medicaid tax?

This is the french treaty:

http://www.ssa.gov/i...ets/france.html

This treaty is pretty much the same as the one with Canada. I know they are a bunch of canadian people who keep on working by distance for their canadian company.

I have been reading a lot about this topic lately, had a conversation with the tax guy from my embassy here in the US, he is not even sure...

This seems to fall in a grey zone... There is no clear rules for teleworking....

Does any of you has knowledge on that topic?

What I'm concerned is how am I going to report my income next year.

Since I won't have any presence time in France for 2011, I will not be able to use the foreign income exclusion.

Do you canadian people who telework for a canadian company report your income every year as foreign income and then use the foreign tax credit?

Or just as self employed?

Pffff...

Teleworking for a foreign company while residing in the U.S. means that your income will be subject to U.S. taxation since you are performing the services in the U.S. In order to avoid double taxation you will have to claim the foreign tax credit or foreign tax deduction if the French government also taxes you on that income. If you are self employed then you will also have to pay the self employment tax in the U.S.

Edited by CarlosAndSveta

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

I am really employed with a contract, and my employer is paying the french social security.

I get salary bills.

I understand that no matter what my income will be taxed in the USA, with exclusion or not.

My concern is the american social security.

According to the Social Security site, if the work is performed in the USA, you have to pay the american SS.

My company is not paying the american social security tax.... and would not even be able to do so...

Income taxes are not accrued in France.

To be honest, I'm not really sure if I will be taxed in France or not...

I will only know like in august for sure.

So the other people who work as teleworker for another company do they pay the SS or no....?

Last significant immigration event:

ROC: Approved : 04/17/2013

USCIS works in mysterious ways...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.