daboyz

Thailand Thread

1,485 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

BANGKOK, April 5 (Xinhua) -- Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva Sunday said he would discuss about the border dispute issue with Cambodian Prime Minister Hunsen during the ASEAN Plus Three summit to be held next week in Thailand.

Meanwhile, Abhisit expressed condolence to families of the two Thai soldiers, who died after Thai and Cambodian troops exchanged fire on the disputed border area on Friday.

Abhisit vowed to quickly solve the ongoing border dispute, which had prolonged since both sides had had different views on the line of demarcation, the website by Bangkok Post reported.

The Thai Prime Minister said as he respected the International Court's ruling after it awarded the 900-year-old Preah Vihear temple to Cambodia in 1962, however, he conceded the situation had intensified after Cambodia applied to list Preah Vihear as a World Heritage site.

Abhisit said he would at the same time ensure that Thailand would not lose its territorial right on Thailand's northeastern province of Si Sa Ket, which borders Cambodia.

Also, Thai Deputy Prime Minister overseeing security affairs Suthep Thaugsuban and Defence Minister Pravit Wongsuwan were continually coordinating with Cambodian authorities, Abhisit said. Thailand will hold the Association of Southeast Asian Nations or ASEAN Plus Three summit from April 10 to 12 in beach resort Pattaya of Thailand's central province of Chonburi.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-04/...nt_11134375.htm

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

Timeline

Negotiations involving overlapping claims to undersea oil and natural gas fields in the Gulf of Thailand are likely to drag on as both Thailand and Cambodia still need to seek agreement on the disputed border area, says Krairit Nilkuha, the director-general of the Department of Mineral Fuels.

The two countries had opened negotiations in 1995 in a bid to tap into potentially rich reserves.

The talks led to a memorandum of understanding signed in 2001 by the Thai and Cambodian prime ministers.

Under the pact, they agreed in principle to join in development and share profits from a total of eight blocks of petroleum fields in the overlapping claims area (OCA).

The 2001 agreement still needs approval of the Thai House of Representatives to comply with provisions in the 2007 Constitution governing international agreements and treaties.

However, the main obstacle centres on two petroleum blocks, designated Block 5 and 6, where clarification of the disputed sea border is still sought.

Since the memorandum of understanding was signed in 2001, only five meetings have been held with no real progress made, even though both sides have clearly expressed their willingness to reach a conclusion as soon as possible.

Committees and working groups are working to seek an agreeable solution for the whole 26,000-square-kilometre OCA.

Leaders from both countries last failed to hammer out a formal arrangement in 2006 during a visit to Cambodia by former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

However, Mr Krairit said he was optimistic that negotiations could be concluded soon, with a goal of seeing production from the areas begin within 10 years.

''All state agencies related to the OCA are accelerating efforts to seek the best solution that could help resolve the disputed sea border between the two countries, so we could resume talks,'' he said.

Thailand first awarded exploration licences to work in the areas in 1968 to Idemitsu, Chevron, British Gas and Mitsui Oil.

However, the dispute first arose in 1972 when Cambodia claimed its overlapping sea border. The Phnom Penh government also later awarded the licences over the exact same areas in 1997 to Conoco Phillips, Shell and Idemitsu.

As the dispute remains, those licence holders are unable to gain access to the areas in question.

Mr Krairit said he believed that resources in the area were plentiful, based on results from blocks nearby in the Pattani basin in Thai territory, where there are proved reserves of 5.4 trillion cubic feet of natural gas by US-based Chevron and Thailand's PTT Exploration and Production.

No data on petroleum reserves within the disputed areas have been revealed due to the extreme sensitivity of the border claims.

Mr Krairit said the talks should rely on the International Territory Law following the model of a Thai-Vietnamese sea territory clarification in 1997, or the Malaysia-Thailand Joint Development Area (JDA) in 1990.

Viraphand Vacharathit, the Thai ambassador to Cambodia, agreed that the prospects for the talks seemed brighter, adding that the two governments had agreed in principle that the benefit-sharing model of the Thailand-Malaysia JDA was the best solution.

''What has yet to be concluded is sharing ratio for the spilt of the resources,'' said the ambassador.

Authorities on both sides have discussed OCA issues occasionally. Talks have been positive so far because both parties want to reap benefits from the untapped gas deposits. ''It is believed that the OCA has more natural gas reserves than oil. However, the amount of reserves has yet to be confirmed,'' Mr Viraphand said.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/290808_Business...g2008_biz30.php

K-1 Timeline

AOS Timeline

I-751 Timeline

N-400 Timeline

Timeline

Thanks for digging up that article roi_aggie. It's interesting how stories always have deeper layers and how most people get distracted by the topical area, never comprehending the underlying issues. For example, although the article supports the claim that the Thai-Cambodian border dispute is over more than simply rights to a temple a few hundred kilos away, it does not discuss who in government, or (ahem) the royal family, is behind the claims on both sides. Ah, politics; It's something I know not to discuss with my fiancée, as she is not interested.

Timeline
Thanks for digging up that article roi_aggie. It's interesting how stories always have deeper layers and how most people get distracted by the topical area, never comprehending the underlying issues. For example, although the article supports the claim that the Thai-Cambodian border dispute is over more than simply rights to a temple a few hundred kilos away, it does not discuss who in government, or (ahem) the royal family, is behind the claims on both sides. Ah, politics; It's something I know not to discuss with my fiancée, as she is not interested.

No problem. It was good for me to brush up on the topic as well.

Really? My wife doesn't mind talking about politics; it’s just that she says it gives her headache thinking about all the problems!

I have seen the King and Queen in person, leaving in a motorcade from the Grand Palace, and I have been in Chiang Mai when they close down all the roads because someone from the royal family is coming to town. I try not to get into discussions over "who does what", since most of it is just rumors. I have heard a lot of rumors about the King's son, and all his "playboy" behavior, and don't know what to believe. I will say however; I don’t like him!

When people ask "why doesn't the King say anything or get involved", I think that most of it has to do with that is how the government was set up, and because the King must remain neutral. By speaking out, he risks the chance of being seen as "taking a side". Makes me think about how our own Supreme Court justices never applaud or stand up during a "State of the Union" address, as they must remain neutral.

K-1 Timeline

AOS Timeline

I-751 Timeline

N-400 Timeline

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
-Yellow shirts are dumb for shutting down the airport and making the economy worst during a worldwide recession. Red shirts are dumb for stopping the asean meeting and causing riots and chaos in bangkok. Sorry I am just putting in my opinion about Thailand.

-The only way I think it might work is if you divide Thailand into 2 like north and south korea, The north can go to the Red shirts where they are all from anyways and the central thailand on down will belong to yellows. But this probably won't ever happen.

-I work in both Thailand and in Vietnam, my company has a plant in Laem Cha Bang (near pattaya), and one Saigon. My wife and I visit Thailand quite frequently because of my work there and we love the place. We see it as out "get a way" from Vietnam cause there are so many things to do there. I still think Thailand is better than Vietnam in everyway, but I just don't like it as much now as I did back then before whenever all this political ####### started when they started the coupe in 2006. I don't understand stand why the King doesn't step in and stop all this mess? He has the power too because everything on both sides love and respect the king so much. Why doesn't he just tell everyone to stop protesting. The king is so quiet in all this. Doesn't he love his people enough to lift a finger or say something?

The yellow shirt didnt actually 'shut down' the airport, they were in fron of the airport causing the traffic jam, but the airport official (please dont ask me to go get his name) was the one who announce that the airport to be closed. It is not good either way, but I just pointing out the fact.

I really hope for all my heart Thailand remain as one. Aphisit said over and over thathe's a PM of everybody in Thailand, while Thaksin always said he'll help only the one who votes for him.

Way back in Thai history one of the Kings decided to let some of the people form a government that would represent the people. Thailand became the only constitutional monarchy in the world.

Its been down hill since then. The people arent represented by the government as much as oppressed by it. The corruption is rampant in the govenment & bleeds into the whole population.

The King or any of the Royal family will not take any tangible steps to controll the corrupt govenment or business because he & his family are part of it . If he did make any attempt to correct the situation he would take a chance that the result would be a further erosion of his influence.

The King doesnt love his people enough to lose his own unique way of life. Its just Royal smoke & mirrors .

As someone alredy pointed out about the King's position in Thailand... what ever he does, there will always be someone to blame him for something.. he doesnt prevent the curruption means he has benefit from it, he doesnt prevent protest or riots means he doesnt love Thai people enough or even he's on their side and paid for the protest... etc. Whis is rediculas

Abhisit has a chance to be a good leader. He would be wise to to go to Udon Thani or Khon Kaen, and spend alot of time there. He will surely not be welcome there, but he needs to do it. If he does that, he will truly be a leader of all Thais, not just the rich in Bangkok.

He is a good leader. He is very honest and patient. If it were other PM, there would be a civil war by now. Too bad that his own people tried 3 times to kill him but fail. Somebody backstab him at the Asian summit - they should be sack and jail for life.

These quotes are from SAWASDEE

The reason they don't want to wait out Abihisit is because of the military type regime they understand he represents and they are afraid he will change laws to make Thailand return to a dictorship type goverment. If they kick him out now their thought is to prevent that. Take care,

Noi

Really? where did you hear this? Aphisit doesnt have any back ground in military or police, how can he represent them? At the Asian summit, he was backstabed by those police and military in charged, that's why a lot of people said he's a good person but might be too weak. But he proved to be very patient and a good leader.

Thaksin is the one who is was practicing a dictatorship, canceled any programs that dare reports differently, killed people without trial and said he will take good care of only the people who voted for him, etc..

He didnt plan the sky train btw, I dont know who wrote that but the skytrain was planned long before him.

She said the poor farmers are extra motivated since the PM announced in 4 days full permission with no recourse for the army and police to "kill em all". It only angered the red shirts because only 6 months ago the yellow shirts hijacked all the airports and government offices for a month with no repercussions at all...matter of fact they were able to overthwow the government but no one likes the farming class Isaan (because they're not lucky enough to have lighter skin). Such thoughtful Buddhists they are!

Where ever she gets her information from, it is wrong. PM NEVER said to kill anybody, EVERy time he came out to speak he asked the protester to go home and that the military is not allow to use force to harm the people. it is on EVERY natinal news and some paid TV.

The red shirt closed Anusawree circle and that caused a lot of problems for people including me since my place is just right there near the palace. there were attempts to talk but they refused and started hijacked buses and gas truck, made fire bomb and brought in their own guns and threaten to set the gas trucks on fire near local communities.

But even with the redshirts sunning buses through the military and throw bombs at them, the PM still said not to use force against them.

There were proved that the redshirts who got shot werent shot by M-16 used by military but by normal gun.

And at the end, the government even arranged bus for them to go home!!!

Forgot I'm not on Thaivisa.com so i can say the princess funded the yellow shirts to overthrow the government which is why the king did nothing when they took over all the airports

Give me the actual prove not just 'gossip'. Dont claim to hate the gossip but actually believe in them.

And I think Noi was saying that the queen gave money to the suiside bomber.... where did you hear this? she was a victim from the police attacked!! that's why the queen helped out.

I need some ice cream :wacko:

You know a lot more about the Thai King than I do. I say the King benefits from the corruption but I dont mean anyone writes him a check. He is part of the Thai system & that system is corrupt. He benefits by doing nothing which makes his job & life easy. I'd like to see him take a stand on the corruption & sick governmental system. If he cant help the people who can?

You are asking some people for some proof of some of the statements. Where do you get the proof for your positions? I mean that with respect. What sources do you use to obtain reliable information on the activities of the government or the King? I'd like to know more about how it all works.

How was the ice cream?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
When people ask "why doesn't the King say anything or get involved", I think that most of it has to do with that is how the government was set up, and because the King must remain neutral. By speaking out, he risks the chance of being seen as "taking a side". Makes me think about how our own Supreme Court justices never applaud or stand up during a "State of the Union" address, as they must remain neutral.

US Supreme Court justices are not really comparable. They can, and do, and should take active positions on important issues, and speak out publicly. They certainly make rulings which reflect their leanings (liberal/conservative), and they will on occasion speak out in the media and in public.

The more direct comparison would be to the Queen of England (and of Canada, Australia, Bahamas, and the other countries of her realm). And other constitutional monarchs in countries such as Spain, Holland, Denmark etc. Also constitutional heads of state such as the Governor General of Canada. All of these figures are intended to be ceremonial, and not policy making. The role of the Thai monarchy is hardly unusual and similar institutions exist in many countries.

Timeline
You know a lot more about the Thai King than I do. I say the King benefits from the corruption but I dont mean anyone writes him a check. He is part of the Thai system & that system is corrupt. He benefits by doing nothing which makes his job & life easy. I'd like to see him take a stand on the corruption & sick governmental system. If he cant help the people who can?

You are asking some people for some proof of some of the statements. Where do you get the proof for your positions? I mean that with respect. What sources do you use to obtain reliable information on the activities of the government or the King? I'd like to know more about how it all works.

How was the ice cream?

To say she knows more than you, is an understatement! Where is YOUR proof? How is it you can attack the King of Thailand, when you aren't even a Thai citizen? By Thai LAW, the King has to refrain from involvement in Thai politics, and remain neutral. (See my post above)

Don't trash the King of Thailand, if you don't have any proof. How does your wife feel about your views?

K-1 Timeline

AOS Timeline

I-751 Timeline

N-400 Timeline

Timeline
US Supreme Court justices are not really comparable. They can, and do, and should take active positions on important issues, and speak out publicly. They certainly make rulings which reflect their leanings (liberal/conservative), and they will on occasion speak out in the media and in public.

The more direct comparison would be to the Queen of England (and of Canada, Australia, Bahamas, and the other countries of her realm). And other constitutional monarchs in countries such as Spain, Holland, Denmark etc. Also constitutional heads of state such as the Governor General of Canada. All of these figures are intended to be ceremonial, and not policy making. The role of the Thai monarchy is hardly unusual and similar institutions exist in many countries.

You're right... using the US Supreme Court wasn't a good example, other than that during speaches by the President, they can't and don't show any emotion, one way or the other.

K-1 Timeline

AOS Timeline

I-751 Timeline

N-400 Timeline

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

How was the ice cream?

To say she knows more than you, is an understatement! Where is YOUR proof? How is it you can attack the King of Thailand, when you aren't even a Thai citizen? By Thai LAW, the King has to refrain from involvement in Thai politics, and remain neutral. (See my post above)

Don't trash the King of Thailand, if you don't have any proof. How does your wife feel about your views?

Couldn't have said that any better myself!

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Timeline

Thanks, Scott. That means a lot to me, because I think we have very similar views and experiences of Thailand.

Because of the Thai laws regarding disrespectful speech towards the King, I tend to get up in arms when someone says anything bad about the Royal family, because I respect those laws, and I respect the King. American's forget that our "freedom of speech" is not upheld worldwide! Even my wife, when I had her read some of the posts, was shocked and worried that "someone" would track the IP address and go after anyone saying anything negative towards the King!

I fully believe in the adage “when in Rome, do as the Roman’s do”, which means when I’m in another country, I learn their language, customs, and laws, and abide by them. It amazes me how anyone would go to a foreign country to find a wife, without any regard for that countries laws, customs, and culture, just so they can fetch themselves a “trophy wife” that wouldn’t necessarily be possible for them in the US. Respect is a two way street.

K-1 Timeline

AOS Timeline

I-751 Timeline

N-400 Timeline

Timeline

gettin a little ugly in here. Can't we all just get along?

USCIS

08/21/2008- Mailed I-130 today

08/23/2008- I-130 recieved at chicago lock box

08/27/2008- NOA1 notice date

01/05/2009- recieved NOA2 approval e-mail from CRIS

NVC

2009-01-16 : NVC Received and Case Number Assigned (don't know exact date)

2009-01-16 : DS-3032 and AOS bill generated

2009-01-25 : DS-3032 sent (by e-mail)

2009-01-28 : AOS bill invoiced (paid online)

2009-02-02 : AOS bill PAID and cover sheet printed

2009-02-02 : AOS package sent to NVC (sent overnight)

2009-01-29 : DS-3032 Choice of Agent accepted

2??? : AOS entered into NVC system (NVC recieved AOS 03-feb-2009)

2009-02-01 : IV bill invoiced(paid online)

2009-02-03 : IV bill PAID and cover sheet printed

2009-02-23 : Medical completed

2009-03-13: DS-230 and Packet 3 sent to NVC

2009-03-17: DS-230 and packet 3 recieved by NVC

2009-03-27: RFE to correct a date on DS-230

2009-03-30: Corrected DS-230 recieved by NVC

2009-04-06 : case complete at NVC

Embassy

2009-05-01 : Forward the case to Embassy in Bangkok, Thailand

2009-06-03 : Interview at Embassy APPROVED!!!

Timeline
Thanks, Scott. That means a lot to me, because I think we have very similar views and experiences of Thailand.

Because of the Thai laws regarding disrespectful speech towards the King, I tend to get up in arms when someone says anything bad about the Royal family, because I respect those laws, and I respect the King. American's forget that our "freedom of speech" is not upheld worldwide! Even my wife, when I had her read some of the posts, was shocked and worried that "someone" would track the IP address and go after anyone saying anything negative towards the King!

I fully believe in the adage “when in Rome, do as the Roman’s do”, which means when I’m in another country, I learn their language, customs, and laws, and abide by them. It amazes me how anyone would go to a foreign country to find a wife, without any regard for that countries laws, customs, and culture, just so they can fetch themselves a “trophy wife” that wouldn’t necessarily be possible for them in the US. Respect is a two way street.

Wow! Agreed. That'll probably bring some replies. I learned the hard way with that. My first girlfriend in Thailand was a 19 year old hottie. At the end of the day, that's all I had... a 19 year old hottie. Don't get me wrong, I had a good time, but I never would've married her. Especially due to how I met her if you know what I mean.

;)

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Timeline
gettin a little ugly in here. Can't we all just get along?

On the contrary Bill, it’s not getting ugly at all. Just some spirited discussion. The only people getting ugly would be anyone disrespecting the King of Thailand that has a Thai spouse or plans to marry a Thai citizen.

Only if there is name calling is it getting ugly! :lol:

Okay... group hug for Bill! ;)

K-1 Timeline

AOS Timeline

I-751 Timeline

N-400 Timeline

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

One of my former colleague have said to me that everyone in Thailand loves their king. They even have a giant picture of him at the Savanpumi Airport.

I was the only Cambodian on board the flight from Phnom Penh to Bangkok, Thailand. The rest were Jap, Chinese, other foriegners. The reason I'm suspecting is that the Cambodians are biased people so that's probably why there was no Cambodian on the flight. I know it's not right to talk negative about my own people, but, they are biased towards the Thai.

Anyway, the Thai King has very high powers. Try insulting the King in public indirectly will definitely get you straight to jail. I wonder if you goto Jail in England for doing that. The king does have powers, but, he doesn't use it ever.

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.