Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Converting F1 Student Visa to green card?

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: Country: China

Hello. I tried looking in the forum and didn't find much on my situation....

I'm a US citizen, but I'm going to marry my GF who is a Chinese national. She is presently here in the US on a J1 student visa and has another year to go before she graduates with her PhD. Since she's already here, what does that do to her visa status?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


Follow this guide. Make sure she is not subject to a 2-year Home Residency Requirement. Also check out this forum.


Good luck!

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China

J1 is not an F1 as per your topic header.

J1 with China tends to have a 2 year home residency requirement, no AOS from that. And China wont issue a "No Object" to it, so no waiver.

LEE VD on Candle had to deal with a couple issues around a J-1 visa, Firstly the 2 year HHR, his fiancee returned home for the required 2 years, and they then did the K1 filing the I-129F about 8 months before the 2 year of Home residency was over, so that the interview would happen just outside the 2 years, they also had to deal with the CCP issue, that many people in the medical profession in China have to be a member of. CCP membership tends to be a condition of the medical professions in China, easily waived.


OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.



Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...