Matt and Evieve

ITIN

36 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Aw! Really? Sorry to hear about that. My husband indicated that the refund will be directly deposited to his US account. We had the refund earlier than expected. Hope everything goes well for your check this year. God bless!

We did likewise apply for an ITIN with the Jim Boyd Foundation. A bit of a haul for the wife but they were very nice and easy to work with. I just sent our taxes, after I signed them, to the wife and she took them to Angeles City and they filed them and filled out the forms after certification on the W-7. Then about 8 weeks later the check came. Best of luck!.....A note, if you file jointly and your spouse is in agreement, have the funds direct deposited into the USC's account. We got a check and it was made out to both of us, which is totally worthless because my wife isn't on my account and no one would cash a check sight unseen by one of the parties. I had a power of attorney and everything. Still have the check for last year unused.

Bob

Aw! Really? Sorry to hear about that. We filed jointly and my husband indicated that the refund will be directly deposited to his US account. We had the refund earlier than expected. Hope everything goes well for your check this year. God bless!

"Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised" Proverbs 31:30

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate all of the replies in this thread!

Back to the acceptance agents - I'm closer to Manila, so I'm not sure it's a good idea to mail an original passport to the Jim Boyd office in Angeles City (and flying or taking a bus there from Manila seems a bit much), so we'll just hope that the Michael Miller Brown acceptance office in Manila is simply not answering the phone, and head down there during business hours with the hope they are open.

However, first I need to finalize my return, and after completing my U.S. tax return on TurboTax.com, I ran into several ambiguities, such that it seems unlikely I have prepared my return correctly. (Non-resident spouse with a child of her own).

I also found conflicting advice online about whether a form W7 can be filed for both the non-resident spouse as well as her child. One CPA I found online claims that a form W7 can be filed for the child of a non-resident spouse which then treats her child as a legal resident *for tax purposes only*, but it requires making an "election" which involves a form for an IRC 6013:

Living in the Philippines - Just a little more tax talk

However, when I tried to set that up in TurboTax, it didn't understand that filing circumstance. Turbotax also doesn't seem to like blanks where the social security numbers go, and is further confused to have both my spouse and her child with "applied for", thinking those are duplicate social security numbers.

Please, can anyone recommend a CPA or a reputable tax preparation service in Manila NCR who is competent to prepare an otherwise simple U.S. tax return?

Edited by Cathay Pacific

Filed: Country:
Timeline
We got a check and it was made out to both of us, which is totally worthless because my wife isn't on my account and no one would cash a check sight unseen by one of the parties. I had a power of attorney and everything. Still have the check for last year unused.

Have you tried depositing it into an ATM?

Have you tried depositing it into an ATM?

Yes! on the advice of a bank branch manager and it resulted in them issuing us a counter check after crediting and then withdrawing the funds two days later leaving us returned check fees. Bottom line we have an ITIN this year and if you don't have one, have it direct deposited on your original return, don't get a check! The IRS is the most awful mess you ever dealt with. I took a day off work, waited in their lobby for 9.75 hours finally got in and the guy said he'd "make sure" the check was reissued in my name only after getting the power of attorney, and all forms we had. 8 weeks later a shiney new check arrived with.....both our fricking names on it........:ranting: .

We're filing electronically and having it direct deposited....I hope the nightmare is over!!!!

Bob

• Married in Manila: 08/20/2010
  • I-130 Sent to lockbox: 10/01/2010
  • I-130 Received: 10/03/2010
  • NOA-1 Received: 10/04/2010
  • NOA-2 Received: 02/01/2011
  • Received NVC: 02/08/2011
  • AOS Bill Generated: 02/10/2011
  • AOS Bill Paid: 02/10/2011
  • DS 3032 Emailed: 02/10/2011
  • IV Bill Generated: 02/14/2011
  • IV Bill Paid: 02/14/2011
  • IV Packet Received @ NVC:02/22/2011
  • NVC Completed 03/08/2011
  • Interview Date Post Sputum results May 17
  • Results negative, Interview scheduled 6/13
  • Placed in A/R 06/13/2011
  • I-601 required 07/18/2011
  • I-601 filed 11/9/2011
  • I-601 approved 11/29/11
  • 2nd Sputum test ordered 12/21/11
  • 2nd Sputum Test passed 02/21/12
  • Visa Approved!! 03/15/2012
  • Visa In Hand 03/17/2012
  • POE SFO 03/24/2012

CP, if the IRS acceptance agent in Manila is unavailable, I would advise on making the trip to Angeles to the Jim Boyd Foundation. Buses ply EDSA (usual stops near Cubao, Muñoz & Balintawak) with Dau signboard. Aircon bus runs maybe P100 and the trip is about an hour, depending on traffic. You can take a tricycle from the Dau bus station or walk past Jollibee to McArthur Highway for a jeep going south (left) to the arch. Jim Boyd charged P500 to review the civil documents with the W7. We tried applying for W7s for our children in October 2010, but ran into the eligibility requirement of needing to be residents in north America (Mexico, US or Canada). If we had applied 2 years before, there would have been no problem for them to have gotten their ITINs, allowing them to be listed as dependents. Now we've applied for CR2s so that we can do that later this year. You should have no trouble with your spouse. Yes Turbo Tax & other software are picky about SSNs. I just used the standard paper forms. You might try a dummy number and then use white out on the printout over your spouses SSN fields?

05/17/08 Sent I130 to Chicago Lockbox, 05/23/08 NOA1 VSC

11/06/08 Transferred to CSC, 12/10/08 NOA2 CSC

12/16/08 NVC sends AOS fee letter & DS3032

12/20/08 Get in mail with IIN/Send DS3032(wife emails)

12/22/08 Pay AOS bill online Processed 12/23/08

12/23/08 Pay IV bill online Processed 12/26/08

12/29/08 Sent I864 & DS230 to NVC, In system 1/2/09

01/12/09 NVC Case Complete, 02/13/09 Case leaves NVC, arrives in Manila 02/17/09

03/04/09 Packet 3 is received by Anabelle at new home

03/06/09 St. Luke's medical 03/28/09 Pregnancy test positive

03/12/09 First interview at 7AM US Embassy

03/30/09 Air21 telegram dated 03/24/09 Interview #2 appointment letter arrives

05/05/09 Second interview at 8AM US Embassy lasts until 3PM: visa DENIED

06/??/09 Vaccinations at SLEC

10/27/09 Case sent to USCIS California for review

04/02/10 NOA3 Intent to Revoke RFE dated 3/25/10 received in mail with 4/24/10 deadline

04/21/10 Priority mailed 21oz package to USCIS California

04/23/10 Package received, RFE online update seen 4/29/10, touched 4/26/10 after call

07/27/10 USCIS California reaffirms approval, sends letter & file to DOS/NVC. Email update received 7/28/10

08/02/10 received USCIS NOA4 dated 7/27 reaffirming previous decision

8/21/10 got NVC notice dated 8/19/10 that reaffirmed petition forwarded to Manila with old case number.

8/23/10 case delivered to Manila Embassy 11:54AM by DHL

9/1/10 Embassy sent letter to old address for 10/12/10 interview #3 10AM

10/12/10 Interview rescheduled to 12/3 10AM, waiting for children's NVC CC

10/25/10 Sent I-130 for children to Chicago lockbox, NOA2 1/25/11 online

Thanks smithmm.

Just a quick update - the Manila Acceptance Agent (Michael Miller Brown) finally started answering the phone, but they want 7500PHP!! (that's about $175USD!!) to certify the requirements for the Form W7 and then mail the return to the U.S. by FedEx. After taking away 1000php for the fee, FedEx is nowhere near 6500php to mail a letter-sized envelope with a dozen or so sheets of paper, so there is some serious price gouging going on there.

In contrast, the Jim Boyd office in Angeles City only charges 1100php *including mailing and preparing the Form W7*, so it's actually cheaper to take a bus from Manila to Angeles City and back again. Heck, we can even stay in a nice hotel to enjoy a night in Angeles City and still come out ahead.

The Jim Boyd office explained that they can provide such a large cost savings by express mailing returns to the IRS in batches at the end of each week, so they don't need to charge the marked-up FedEx fee that the Manila office is charging.

We're going to Angeles City.

Also, to follow up on preparing the actual return, TurboTax was willing to print our 1040 tax return despite my spouse's missing social security number - just ignore the warnings and "print with errors" and it's fine.

And here's the I.R.C. 6013 Election (names and addresses redacted) we are attaching to the front of our return:

--------

<date>

Department of the Treasury

Internal Revenue Service Center

Austin, TX 73301-0215 USA

To whom it may concern,

I, <wife's name>, a non-resident alien, choose to be treated as a U.S. resident for the entire 2011 tax year.

My spouse, <husband's name>, was a U.S. citizen as of December 31, 2011. Please see his enclosed 2011 Income Tax Return.

<wife's name>

<wife's address in the Philippines>

ID number: see enclosed Form w-7

<husband's full name with middle initial>

<U.S. mailing address>

Social Security Number <000-000-000>

Signed & dated:

-------

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.