Matt and Evieve

ITIN

36 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Anyone got successful enrolling their spouse in filing for taxes? Please share.

Thanks!

A man shall leave his father and his mother, and be joined to his wife; and they shall become one flesh. – Genesis 2:24

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone,

Anyone got successful enrolling their spouse in filing for taxes? Please share.

Thanks!

Whiskey

Tango

Foxtrot

English Please...........

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Oh okay. Sorry.

We were wondering if Matt can file his 2010 tax and put me as dependent. We understand that we have to file ITIN for it. So we want to know if anyone out there experienced it. :)

I thought the first post was understandable considering that we are in Cr-1 route :) Maybe you guys forgot to check it or it's not familiar to you since you both are in K-1s, I believe.

A man shall leave his father and his mother, and be joined to his wife; and they shall become one flesh. – Genesis 2:24

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

my husband filed first amended tax return -1040X along with my ITIN application. just follow the instructions and requirements in the form.

Oh okay. Sorry.

We were wondering if Matt can file his 2010 tax and put me as dependent. We understand that we have to file ITIN for it. So we want to know if anyone out there experienced it. :)

I thought the first post was understandable considering that we are in Cr-1 route :) Maybe you guys forgot to check it or it's not familiar to you since you both are in K-1s, I believe.

It the way you structured you phrase, We call it pidgeon english in USA. Very very difficult for a Native American to understand

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Yes he can claim you as a dependent if he applies for your ITIN. I was reading into it and tried to get the right authenticated passport copy for my wife. After reading on here it didnt sound like the DFA gave us the right thing. So I just filed Head of household and amended my tax return this last october. The ITIN can be a little tricky depending on the country you are from (PI seemed to be more tricky from reading). I needed the money fast, so filing other than married (whatever applies in your husband's situation) works the best. If he files married you will have to sign the w-7, send it to him, and he will have to paper file his return (no electronic filing). Paper filing will take at least 8-10 weeks if not more to get a refund back. I never got a warm fuzzy about just using a photocopy of my wife's passport, so I didnt want to try, wait forever to get a return, and not get it because they wouldnt accept the photocopy.

here are the instructions on how to apply: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw7.pdf

For the notorized copy the country has to be part of the Hague convention..see second page on the left side under "How to apply"...PI is not one of those countries and supposidly the US Embassy in Manila will not authenticate a copy of your passport (we didnt try...you need an appointment for almost everything now). They will tell you to go to the DFA.

In the end I didnt feel it was worth the hassle or waiting. If you guys do it, post on here your experience. I dont think I have read too many successful journeys on this. In the end most people do what is easiest.

Edited by Scott and Mhay

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

I am working on the same thing. Filed an 2009 tax year amended return with the W-7 and submitted a high resolution scan of passport data page along with red ribbon certified copy of passport, red ribbon copy of marriage certificate and red ribbon copy of BC. This was about 6 weeks ago. Will post follow up on the results good or bad.

I am working on the same thing. Filed an 2009 tax year amended return with the W-7 and submitted a high resolution scan of passport data page along with red ribbon certified copy of passport, red ribbon copy of marriage certificate and red ribbon copy of BC. This was about 6 weeks ago. Will post follow up on the results good or bad.

It might be awhile...I filed my amended return around the 30th of October. Still waiting for the refund. Got a letter from the IRS because I had a 1099C that I couldnt find when I first filed (part of the reason for the amended return). Anyway, I called the IRS when I got that letter last week. They told me that my amended return was accepted and to wait 2 weeks for another letter stating that they accepted my amended return. They told me that the refund would take another 4-6 weeks after that letter. Glad I dont need the money anytime soon (not that I cant use it).

Anyway, it was the red ribbon passport copy that we didnt get. The DFA just basically gave us a letter stating that my wife was issued a passport from them and data off of it with her picture and a raised seal over the picture that was glued to the paper. It didnt look too offical for me. I could have done better on my own. Good luck.

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

Yes he can claim you as a dependent if he applies for your ITIN. I was reading into it and tried to get the right authenticated passport copy for my wife. After reading on here it didnt sound like the DFA gave us the right thing. So I just filed Head of household and amended my tax return this last october. The ITIN can be a little tricky depending on the country you are from (PI seemed to be more tricky from reading). I needed the money fast, so filing other than married (whatever applies in your husband's situation) works the best. If he files married you will have to sign the w-7, send it to him, and he will have to paper file his return (no electronic filing). Paper filing will take at least 8-10 weeks if not more to get a refund back. I never got a warm fuzzy about just using a photocopy of my wife's passport, so I didnt want to try, wait forever to get a return, and not get it because they wouldnt accept the photocopy.

here are the instructions on how to apply: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw7.pdf

For the notorized copy the country has to be part of the Hague convention..see second page on the left side under "How to apply"...PI is not one of those countries and supposidly the US Embassy in Manila will not authenticate a copy of your passport (we didnt try...you need an appointment for almost everything now). They will tell you to go to the DFA.

In the end I didnt feel it was worth the hassle or waiting. If you guys do it, post on here your experience. I dont think I have read too many successful journeys on this. In the end most people do what is easiest.

Thank you so much for this information. I've read some ITIN topics but it's not applicable for PI. So this is really a great reply, Scott and Mhay!

We did some research and we also called the IRS and found out that yes, Matt can claim me as dependent if he applies an ITIN for me. From the requirements in the US Embassy Manila website, it says there that I need a photocopy of my passport be notarized in the Embassy for a fee of $50 provided that I have an appointment which can be done online. And I need to send it along with the W7 form with my signature in it. You mentioned about DFA, I don't understand the connection of this department in acquiring the requirements. Will you explain this part, please? And yes, we found out it has no electronic filing as it will take 6-8 weeks for them to finish the process. That's pretty long!

We thought it's a hassle too. Matt thinks that if we'll pursue applying for ITIN, I might get the GC in the mail before the ITIN process will be all over as we are expecting my arrival in US on March or April the least (cause the expedite was granted).

So, later on, when I'm in US already, is it possible for Matt to amend his 2010 tax? Please also share your thoughts about our situation.

Thank you!

Edited by Matt and Evieve

So, later on, when I'm in US already, is it possible for Matt to amend his 2010 tax? Please also share your thoughts about our situation.

I am only a K1 I wish I could help :bonk::rofl:

JNL

For the red ribbon on passport and BC, would you share your experience on applying for those papers. Thanks.

K1 Process:

May 1, 2008 Submitted I-129F to CSC

May 8, 2008 Received by CSC

May 9, 2008 NOA1

May 18, 2008 Touched

October 9, 2008 RFE

October 28, 2008 RFE Reply

October 29, 2008 Touched

October 30, 2008 Touched

November 1, 2008 NOA2 (HardCopy)

November 11, 2008 Letter from NVC (Hardcopy)

November 14 & 17, 2008 Medical (Passed)

November 26, 2008 Interview (Passed)

December 5, 2008 Visa Received

December 23, 2008 US Entry (POE: Hawaii)

February 7, 2009 Private Wedding

AOS Process:

March 9, 2009 Mailed AOS Application via Express Mail (I-485, I-765, I-131)

March 10, 2009 USPS confirmed that AOS application was delivered and received in Chicago

March 18, 2009 Received NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

April 8, 2009 Biometrics Done

April 27, 2009 AP Approved

May 1, 2009 AP received in the mail

May 2, 2009 EAD card received in the mail

May 29, 2009 AOS interview (Approved)

June 29, 2009 GC received

ROC Process

March 1, 2011 Mailed I-175 Application via Express Mail

March 4 ,2011 NOA for I-175

April 05,2011 Biometrics [Early Biometrics March 22, 2011]

April 21,2011 Approval

April 27,2011 10 Year Green Card Received

Naturalization Process

March 6, 2012 Mailed N-400 Application via Express Mail

[/size]

I will be filing next week as single & I will then amend at a later date. My wife will be here soon & by the time I am ready to amend she should have her SS card in hand.

USCIS

07-20-2010: I-130 package mailed.

07-22-2010: I-130 Package Received - Priority Date.

07-29-2010: Received text & email from USCIS - Notice Date.

07-30-2010: Check Cashed by USCIS.

08-02-2010: Received NOA1 hard copy.

08-02,04,05: Touched.

09-28-2010: Received text & email - petition approved.

10-04-2010: Received NOA2 hard copy.

NVC

10-13-2010: NVC Case# Received (after calling).

10-15-2010: Emailed DS-3032 to NVC.

10-16-2020: Received the DS-3032 package, IIN number & AOS bill via email.

10-22-2010: Paid AOS bill ($88) - showing IN PROCESS

10-25-2010: AOS fee PAID.

10-27-2010: Express Mail AOS Package.

10-27-2010: Paid IV bill - showing IN PROCESS.

10-28-2010: AOS package delivered.

10-28-2010: IV fee PAID.

10-29-2010: Express Mail IV package.

11-01-2010: IV package delivered.

11-08-2010: AOS packages entered into NVC system.

11-15-2010: IV package entered into NVC system.

11-23-2010: SIF.

11-24-2010: Case Complete.

CONSULATE

12-21-2010: Medical at SLMC - Passed

12-22-2010: Immunization at SLMC

01-04-2011: Interview @USEM ~ Approval

OTHER

02-05-2011: POE at JFK

N-400

05-01-2017: N-400 Sent

05-09-2017: Case accepted

05-15-2017: Biometric appointment scheduled

05-30-2017: Biometric

06-05-2017: Inline for interview

08-15-2017: Interview scheduled

09-19-2017: Interview (approved).

01-19-2018: Oath Ceremony

JNL

For the red ribbon on passport and BC, would you share your experience on applying for those papers. Thanks.

As far as I know, all my wife did was take the documents that she wanted to be authenticated with red ribbon to the DFA. I believe the cost was 300PHP per document and took about

As far as I know, all my wife did was take the documents that she wanted to be authenticated with red ribbon to the DFA. I believe the cost was 300PHP per document and took about

As far as I know, all my wife did was take the documents that she wanted to be authenticated with red ribbon to the DFA. I believe the cost was 300PHP per document and took about 1 week to get back.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.