TheFantastics09

Which should I do first?

13 posts in this topic

Hey :),

Do you guys think its a better idea for me to become a nurses' assistant first, then go into a nursing program? Or just dive into a nursing program?

Also, both of these options require me to have a SSN. The SSN I get issued that does not permit me to work, will that be sufficient?

Thank-You >.<

Edited by TheFantastics09

UJaZm4.png

***Ever thine, ever mine, ever ours... xoxo***

Hey :),

Do you guys think its a better idea for me to become a nurses' assistant first, then go into a nursing program? Or just dive into a nursing program?

Also, both of these options require me to have a SSN. The SSN I get issued that does not permit me to work, will that be sufficient?

Thank-You >.<

If ur SSN says ur not allowed to work then u need to get a permit or EAD first before u can go on.

If ur SSN says ur not allowed to work then u need to get a permit or EAD first before u can go on.

I am not concerned with actually working (yet), because the program is just that - a program, you don't earn anything. But I was told by both of the programs' coordinators, that you need a SSN to register. So is the SSN that won't let me work the same one they are talking about?

Edited by TheFantastics09

UJaZm4.png

It depends. Look at the job market for nurse assistant, LPN and RN in your area. See what the demand is and what the projected demand will be. Also look at wages. Do the wages meet your needs. How soon do you need to be working? NA and LPN require less schooling. What pre-reqs are required for each and do need to take more courses before going into one of above mentioned career paths.

John

It depends. Look at the job market for nurse assistant, LPN and RN in your area. See what the demand is and what the projected demand will be. Also look at wages. Do the wages meet your needs. How soon do you need to be working? NA and LPN require less schooling. What pre-reqs are required for each and do need to take more courses before going into one of above mentioned career paths.

John

Thank-You!

I have checked both and they seem to be in high demand, but here is the problem - experience :/. Both the CNA and LPN require a minimum of 1 year experience. How do they expect me to obtain this, if I can not get hired?

UJaZm4.png

Almost all job postings will state that they require a minimum numbers of years experience. That does not mean that if you don't meet those requirements that you should not apply. After you complete your schooling, no matter what course of study you decide to go with, make sure that you submit a resumé that makes you stand out from the rest. A 1 year minimum requirements is still an entry level position. Sure, they would like to have it but if you went to a quality school and your GPA is in the top 5% of your class, and you have shown that you do a lot of volunteer work, you could move yourself ahead of those with more experience but less drive. You have to make them want to hire you even without the experience. Good luck to you in your future endeavors.

John

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

check out allnurses.com lots of info there

One could volunteer at a hospital to see if they like the atmosphere. Nursing isn't for everyone. I enjoy it some days, hate it others,lol but that could happen to any job.

Many will say their is not a shortage of nurses at the present time--but again that depends where you are. I know in the DC area a lot of new grads are having difficulty finding work. Lot of older nurses are not retiring because their 401k took a beating, management positions have been reduced, so they head back to the floor, etc etc!

Many hospitals are cutting back at hiring LPNs, so many times they end up working at retirement centers, which is nothing to look down on, but the better paying jobs are usually found in the hospitals. Starting wage for a new RN in the DC area is $24+ an hr + shift differential---varies from state to state

I know in the DC area--INOVA (hospital) will say 1 yr required, but still hire new grads!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

check out allnurses.com lots of info there

One could volunteer at a hospital to see if they like the atmosphere. Nursing isn't for everyone. I enjoy it some days, hate it others,lol but that could happen to any job.

Many will say their is not a shortage of nurses at the present time--but again that depends where you are. I know in the DC area a lot of new grads are having difficulty finding work. Lot of older nurses are not retiring because their 401k took a beating, management positions have been reduced, so they head back to the floor, etc etc!

Many hospitals are cutting back at hiring LPNs, so many times they end up working at retirement centers, which is nothing to look down on, but the better paying jobs are usually found in the hospitals. Starting wage for a new RN in the DC area is $24+ an hr + shift differential---varies from state to state

I know in the DC area--INOVA (hospital) will say 1 yr required, but still hire new grads!

Thanks!

Do you think I should go ahead and do the CNA first? or go straight for LPN? Any idea how much longer I would have to be in school to move up from an LPN to an RN? I will be living in PA.

Yeah, it is the same in Canada. Not that many people have the luxury of retiring when they wanted to, so they are still in the workforce eating up jobs. It sucks! :(

UJaZm4.png

Timeline

Personally, I would NOT go the LPN route. Many hospitals do not hire LPN's (and ya that varies from state to state) I kno wone local hospital in the DC are ahas told the LPN to get their RN's or they are out of a job. An associates degree (RN) is probably about the same length of time as a LPN, maybe a bit longer. and a RN is a RN!! The more education one has (BSN, etc)the more windows one opens.

Yes its good to start out as a CNA or nurses aide, nurse tech (many different names) as one has a better idea on what they are getting themselves into AND if people (supervisors) like ya, helps in getting a job. I know a fair # of nurses that hate their job, but have student loans to pay off so they are stuck!! If you can get some sort of glimpse into nursing, that would really help!

There are many different nursing programs--which vary in length. If you already have a BSN in another area, there are acclerated programs that takes around 1 year. There are accelerated ADN degrees as well (go staright thru the summer) and soem community colleges have programs where you complete your ADN degree with them then write the NCLEX exam then continue on with your BSN with an affiliated school. The beauty of that is it gaurentees you a spot. Best thing to do is check out the nursing programs in your area, sit down with an advisor and see what the pre-reqs are, each school wil have their own pre-req requirements. Lot of info on allnurses.com

And if ya ever plan on going back to Canada, one pretty much has to have a BSN, and then you have to write the Cdn nursing exam the CRNE.

I say to others, start with your ADN, get a job, then continue with higher education (BSN,MSN, etc) as most employers pay for education. maybe not all of it, but a good chunk of it! better out of their pocket than yours! best of luck

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Personally, I would NOT go the LPN route. Many hospitals do not hire LPN's (and ya that varies from state to state) I kno wone local hospital in the DC are ahas told the LPN to get their RN's or they are out of a job. An associates degree (RN) is probably about the same length of time as a LPN, maybe a bit longer. and a RN is a RN!! The more education one has (BSN, etc)the more windows one opens.

Yes its good to start out as a CNA or nurses aide, nurse tech (many different names) as one has a better idea on what they are getting themselves into AND if people (supervisors) like ya, helps in getting a job. I know a fair # of nurses that hate their job, but have student loans to pay off so they are stuck!! If you can get some sort of glimpse into nursing, that would really help!

There are many different nursing programs--which vary in length. If you already have a BSN in another area, there are acclerated programs that takes around 1 year. There are accelerated ADN degrees as well (go staright thru the summer) and soem community colleges have programs where you complete your ADN degree with them then write the NCLEX exam then continue on with your BSN with an affiliated school. The beauty of that is it gaurentees you a spot. Best thing to do is check out the nursing programs in your area, sit down with an advisor and see what the pre-reqs are, each school wil have their own pre-req requirements. Lot of info on allnurses.com

And if ya ever plan on going back to Canada, one pretty much has to have a BSN, and then you have to write the Cdn nursing exam the CRNE.

I say to others, start with your ADN, get a job, then continue with higher education (BSN,MSN, etc) as most employers pay for education. maybe not all of it, but a good chunk of it! better out of their pocket than yours! best of luck

I really have no problem going ahead and trying out my hand at being an RN, it's just that I wanted to get into the work force quicker. I feel bad not being able to help out my future husband with a well paying job. But if they are really cutting back LPN's, I will definitely check out other routes :).

Thank-you >.<

UJaZm4.png

Timeline

Most LPN's in the Dc area (only area that I know)end up working in the old folks homes!! Nothing wrong with that, if one wants to go that route,but the better paying jobs are in the hospitals. LPN are great nurses, but Rn's have a larger scope of practice than a LPN, so more flexibilty job wise. Make more $$$ as well. One could work as a tech while going to school for your RN's. Some places require NO experience or courses to be hired as a tech (or CNA) that varies from place to place. No use in forking out $$$ for school and then no job! Best of luck

I am not concerned with actually working (yet), because the program is just that - a program, you don't earn anything. But I was told by both of the programs' coordinators, that you need a SSN to register. So is the SSN that won't let me work the same one they are talking about?

They are incorrect. If you want you can give them a ITIN number, it's the same amount of digits but has a 9 as the starting number. Plus in the USA since we are loaded with so many Illegal Aliens they will have a form you can sign saying you don't have a SSN yet.

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

They are incorrect. If you want you can give them a ITIN number, it's the same amount of digits but has a 9 as the starting number. Plus in the USA since we are loaded with so many Illegal Aliens they will have a form you can sign saying you don't have a SSN yet.

Hmmmm, ok. I will write down the info you gave me and inquire :). *crosses fingers*

Most LPN's in the Dc area (only area that I know)end up working in the old folks homes!! Nothing wrong with that, if one wants to go that route,but the better paying jobs are in the hospitals. LPN are great nurses, but Rn's have a larger scope of practice than a LPN, so more flexibilty job wise. Make more $$$ as well. One could work as a tech while going to school for your RN's. Some places require NO experience or courses to be hired as a tech (or CNA) that varies from place to place. No use in forking out $$$ for school and then no job! Best of luck

Yeah, I am going the CNA route first and see where it takes me. Thank You for your awesome advice! >.<

UJaZm4.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.