sarah&rob

Evidence - Affidavits from friends/family

6 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!! Back on VJ after 2 years, we should be filing for ROC next month so I am currently gathering together everything we'll need.

My question about the sworn affidavits needed...do they only have to be from one person per affidavit? Or could my brother & sis-in-law sign one together. They traveled with us to Las Vegas and were there when we got married and we were invited to their wedding as husband and wife so the affidavit would say ..."blah blah blah.......We traveled with Sarah and Robert to Las Vegas, NV and we were both present at their wedding. We invited them to our wedding as a married couple." Then they would both sign it in presence of a notary.

Anyone know if that would allowed or if they would have to each do one separately?

Sarahusaukflag.jpgRobbie

Our ROC Journey

Feb 23, 2011: ROC packet sent to VSC

Feb 24, 2011: Packet rec'd at VSC

Feb 25, 2011: NOA date

Mar 04, 2011: Rec'd NOA dated 2/25

Mar 18, 2011: Rec'd Biometrics Appt letter

Apr 08, 2011: Biometrics Appointment

Aug 26, 2011: Approval letter rec'd dated 8/22

I'm sure it is allowed, even more so because these affidavits are only secondary evidence (which makes sense because it VERY easy to fake these) and not required at all if your other evidence is strong (for example, we didn't file them). The only thing matters is that they actually declare something, how it is written doesn't really matter imho :)

N400 Timeline:

12/14/11 - Sending out N400 package

12/19/11 - Received by USCIS

12/21/11 - NOA date

12/22/11 - Check cashed

12/27/11 - Received NOA

02/06/12 - Received yellow letter (pre-interview case file review)

03/13/12 - Placed in line for interview scheduling (3 yr anniversary)

03/17/12 - Received interview letter

04/17/12 - Interview - No decision, application under further review

04/17/12 - Biometrics

04/25/12 - Placed in line for oath scheduling (so I'm approved yay!)

04/27/12 - Received oath ceremony date

05/09/12 - Oath ceremony!!

Have them sign one each, separately. That's what I did. Also, to save you time and effort: no need to have a notary sign your affidavits. Instead, you can entitle the rubric as "Sworn Statement of ______". That's what I did; that's what the lawyer recommended. Good luck.

100% Naturalized U.S.D.A. Prime American

proud_filipino_american_trucker_hat.jpg?

I'm sure it is allowed, even more so because these affidavits are only secondary evidence (which makes sense because it VERY easy to fake these) and not required at all if your other evidence is strong (for example, we didn't file them). The only thing matters is that they actually declare something, how it is written doesn't really matter imho :)

Yeah, we don't really have STRONG evidence... we live with my mother and pay her rent, no utilities. She will be writing an affidavit as well stating that we live with her and pay rent and have done so as a couple since he arrived on his K-1 in 2008.

The only phones we have are cell phones with a family plan and the account is under my name with him as the second line. This totally doesn't prove anything though :/

I was able to get print outs of my Pension & Life insurance beneficiaries with him listed as "spouse" and "primary" beneficiary. I was also able to get a print out of my State Health Benefits with him listed as "spouse" and saying they got proof of that with our wedding date listed and that it was approved.

My job also just switched their dental insurance so I have a copy of the application for that with him listed as my spouse. The only thing with that is that it only has *my* part filled out and not the Employer part. Reason for that is because I work in my town's public library and for things like health insurance and dental insurance we are covered under the town, though we stand alone on other things, like the payroll. We filled out our portion and the application was whisked away to the municipal building so I don't even know if I could get a copy of it completely filled out or if that doesn't even matter.

I also have transcripts of our taxes from 2008 and 2009 when we filed jointly and could possibly have 2010's copy if he gets his W-2 in time.

We have bank statements for our joint checking and savings accounts that we opened shortly after we were married.

Right now off the top of my head I can't think if we have more.

We haven't taken any trips - can't afford it

He doesn't drive because we can't afford to add him to the car insurance. He has a car that was a gift from my aunt & uncle but the title & insurance are in my name. We would pay the extra $60 to have his name added to the title if it would make a difference, but I don't know if only doing that NOW would be suspicious.

I am in a debt management program so I would not be allowed to open a joint credit card account with him, so we don't have that.

Neither of us like our picture being taken so we don't have many of us together :(

Sarahusaukflag.jpgRobbie

Our ROC Journey

No worries, you'll do fine. From what I read, you have about the same evidence as we send in and I'm not worried at all. My wife owns three houses but doesn't pay mortgage or utilities and the houses are in her name only, so we couldn't use those either. We do own two cars though, shared ownership, and if I were you, I would just add him to the title for the sake of it.. I mean, it wouldn't hurt if you did and it is only extra evidence that he is listed on the title, meaning he actually owns half of it :)

I think that especially the financial things are good for them to see in joint owner ship. We don't have joint credit cards either but a joint bank account is good to have instead.

If he has a state ID with address on it, you can also copy that one together with a copy of your driver license. That way you have another way of proving that you live on the same address.

N400 Timeline:

12/14/11 - Sending out N400 package

12/19/11 - Received by USCIS

12/21/11 - NOA date

12/22/11 - Check cashed

12/27/11 - Received NOA

02/06/12 - Received yellow letter (pre-interview case file review)

03/13/12 - Placed in line for interview scheduling (3 yr anniversary)

03/17/12 - Received interview letter

04/17/12 - Interview - No decision, application under further review

04/17/12 - Biometrics

04/25/12 - Placed in line for oath scheduling (so I'm approved yay!)

04/27/12 - Received oath ceremony date

05/09/12 - Oath ceremony!!

No worries, you'll do fine. From what I read, you have about the same evidence as we send in and I'm not worried at all. My wife owns three houses but doesn't pay mortgage or utilities and the houses are in her name only, so we couldn't use those either. We do own two cars though, shared ownership, and if I were you, I would just add him to the title for the sake of it.. I mean, it wouldn't hurt if you did and it is only extra evidence that he is listed on the title, meaning he actually owns half of it :)

I think that especially the financial things are good for them to see in joint owner ship. We don't have joint credit cards either but a joint bank account is good to have instead.

If he has a state ID with address on it, you can also copy that one together with a copy of your driver license. That way you have another way of proving that you live on the same address.

Thank you :)

He does not presently have a State ID, but since it is all done through the Motor Vehicle Commission, he can do that the same time we do the title change. Probably a good idea for him to have one anyways since presently his only forms of ID are his GC and his passport and it's doubtful we'll be able to afford for him to get his license anytime in the near future.

I hope everything we will have will be enough!

Sarahusaukflag.jpgRobbie

Our ROC Journey

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.