UmmSqueakster

Ramadan internet finds thread

88 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Ramadan - It's not just a food fast - advice for muslims and non muslims

Ramadan: It's Not Just a Food Fast

Ramadan in America can be overwhelming. Here are five ways to simplify and be more spiritual for Muslims and non-Muslims alike.

By Dilshad D. Ali

Ramadan, the ninth month in the Islamic calendar, is special to millions of Muslims worldwide as a holy period dedicated to fasting, self-purification, and spiritual attainment. Every year the world’s Muslims redesign their life to focus on the goals of Ramadan: A whole-body awareness of God and a humble thankfulness for whatever blessings He has granted.

But Ramadan in non-Muslim countries can be more challenging, as Muslims try to navigate the requirements and recommendations of Ramadan--fasting from sunrise to sunset, fitting in the five daily prayers at their appointed times, attending special evening tarawih prayers at the mosque, and reading the Qur’an each day for an entire month--while juggling the demands of work, school, and family.

While I passed lunchtime in my junior high school guidance counselor’s office during Ramadan, or sneaked a date and water to break fast during an evening class in college, or grabbed five minutes in my editor’s office to pray at my first job, my cousins in the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, and in Pakistan enjoyed half-days at school and work and a week’s vacation for Eid-ul-Fitr, the holiday at the end of Ramadan.

But I figure, though it’s harder to fast and heighten spirituality when everyone around you isn’t joining in, it sure makes the inner striving more special. And 18 years of fasting in this country have taught me some valuable strategies for living a Muslim life in a non-Muslim society while enjoying both.

Here are five practices I’ve found helpful in simplifying and spiritualizing my Ramadan experience. And if you’re not a Muslim, these tips can be adapted to make your daily life a little more spiritual and uncomplicated.

1. Take the remembrance of God inward.

Do dhikr (reciting short du’as, or supplications) silently while you’re driving, waiting in line somewhere, or doing endless household tasks. Keep a thasbi (the equivalent of a Muslim rosary) in your purse or pocket and use it to count off du’as.

Not Muslim? Spending whatever downtime you have to remember God or peacefully meditate is a great idea for everyone. Thousands of hours go by every year in our work commutes, in chauffeuring our kids around, in keeping the house going. Why not try to use that time to quiet our minds, remind ourselves of a higher being, and appreciate what we’ve been given?

2. Appreciate technology, and then tune it out.

In past Ramadans I always went on a sort of technology crash diet--television, music, inane web surfing, and movies were all self-banned for 30 days. All the extra time was designated for reading Qur’an, praying, and reconnecting with my family. Well, crash diets never work in the long term, and technology does keep the world connected.

So the better thing to do is to use technology wisely: Use your email to stay in contact with friends and family and see how their month is going, get the news from television and the Internet, watch one favorite TV show to wind down, and use your ipod to listen to Muslim books or Qur’anic prayers. And then, when basic needs have been met, turn the technology off and take the extra time to pray and reconnect.

Not Muslim? The same rule can apply. Use the technology to do what you need to do for work and family. But then, instead of spending hours surfing the web or TV channels, fight the urge and tune out. Discover your family, and discover meditation and prayer. You can start slow--cut out an hour of web surfing (or one TV program) every week and build up.

3. Have iftar (the fast-breaking meal) together as a family a couple of times a week.

Having iftar as a family more often should be easier this Ramadan. Muslims follow a lunar calendar, which moves Ramadan back 10 days earlier each year. This year nearly half of the month will progress with iftar time being around 7 p.m.--late enough for the family to be home together. Breaking fast with the family is a great opportunity to appreciate one another’s holy efforts and discuss spiritual topics.

Not Muslim? The family dinner is a concept hammered home by family and social organizations. Even some television stations, like Nickelodeon, show promos advising us to “Make time for the family table.” A weekly or bi-weekly family dinner is a great time to reconnect, to learn about each other, and to discuss a designated list of topics that are of interest to your family.

4. Do new types of sadaqa (acts of goodness and charity), and take comfort that what you already do for family and friends is sadaqa as well.

I used to get discouraged each Ramadan (especially once I was a parent), that I couldn’t properly do those things recommended to Muslims during Ramadan: Go for tarawih prayers in the evening, or read the entire Qur’an. But my mom and mother-in-law gave me sound insight: Everything you do for the comfort of your family is sadaqa and a way of worshipping God.

That being said, Ramadan is still a great time to try new acts of charity and goodness: Put aside a can of food a day and donate it all when the month is up; Cook a few dishes and take them to your mosque for those come there to have iftar; Volunteer at your child’s school for the month and offer to do a Ramadan presentation to explain why your child is fasting.

Not Muslim? Recognizing the things you do for family and friends as acts of goodness that are acknowledged by God is a great step toward achieving inner spirituality. But take a step out of your comfort zone to tackle one small charitable project each month, whether it’s donating a little money each day to your favorite charity or taking charge of your office’s annual volunteer project.

5. Get to the mosque and reconnect with your community.

For many Muslim Americans, about the only time they can find to go to the mosque is for Friday prayers, or on Sunday when scores of kids take part in Muslim Sunday school. During Ramadan, why not make the mosque an integral part of worship? Go there for as many tarawih prayers as you can, especially the end ones when the Qur’an is being completed. Pick one day a week and go to your mosque for iftar. It’s amazing how good we feel to see others fasting and striving as much as we are, and it can renew our strength to face the next week of fasting with vigor and joy.

Not Muslim? If you are religious, try visiting your church, synagogue, or temple outside of worship services. You may meet different people and partake in different experiences that can replenish your spiritual well. If you don’t favor any particular house of worship, designate some spot--a park or your backyard at sunset--where you feel some calm and visit it with family or friends, free of mental distractions, and with a focus on each other.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline

ramadan music video

- trying to find out more information on the group CoTu

irhal.jpg

Timeline
Ramadan Roundup - another blogger gathering interesting Ramadan related stuff online

irhal.jpg

Timeline

Don't forget about Zakat ulFitr. This zakat is an obligation for the end of Ramadan, just as much as fasting is an obligation during Ramadan. Many masjids will have collections of zakat al fitr in the last weeks of Ramadan and at eid prayer. If you don't have a chance to give it at the masjid, consider donating to a reputable charity like Islamic Relief, which has a zakat ulfitr fund. It should be $8-$10 for each person in your household.

Various questions and answers about zakat in general can be found here.

irhal.jpg

Timeline

From one of my favorite books - The Inner Dimensions of Zakat

irhal.jpg

Timeline

Deenport Lessons

Specifically Imam Haddad on fasting

irhal.jpg

Timeline

Mozaffar posts daily Ramadan reflections on his blog

I especially like

How to Jumpstart your prayers - must read!

Donkeys carrying books

Perfection through Forgiveness

irhal.jpg

Timeline

irhal.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Assalamalaikum. I don't think I've ever posted much in the ME forum as my hubby is Pakistani! But I read your discussions often! :)

I enjoyed reading the materials posted here on Ramadan. Another important aspect as we all know is zakat. I don't know about you but I have struggled with how to pay zakat here and make sure a clean charity receives my money.

This year, GlobalGiving, an online portal for charity, has launched a Ramadan Giving initiative. This is a pretty new concept for a non-religious gorup to help Muslims in their charitable giving. It was undertaken in consultation with American Muslims and a site has been put up with these projects.

www.globalgiving.com/ramadan

You can donate to Sudan, Palestine, Jordan, Morocco, Indonesia, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Afghanistan. Please do check it out and consider donating a few dollars and SPREAD the word!

I-485 , I-765, I-130: NOA1 : 1/23/2006

Biometrics 2/23/2006

Temporary EAD given for 1 month ONLY b/c of Infopass appt: 5/1/2006

Went back to renew EAD through Infopass: EAD card was not given "due to reasons we can't disclose"

5/3/2007: Confirmation that EAD is delayed due to background checks. (started to use the senator, ombudsman and was just a royal pain in the neck)

5/30/2007: EAD production ordered (after over 400 days of waiting!!! woo hoo!)

AOS Interview: 5/12/2008!!! FINALLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7/29/2008: card production ordered...918 days..can't wait to see that card!

Timeline

JazakAllah khair for the link. My husband gets nervous over who we can donate money to without being considered a sponsor of terrorism, or having our donation frozen and never reaching anyone to do any good.

I don't have the source of this hadith, but it comes from a saudi embassy published book, and they're pretty good about only using sahih (sound) ahadith

The Prophet (saws) said: 'Charity is a necessity for every Muslim.' He was asked: 'What if a person has nothing?' The Prophet (saws) replied: 'He should work with his own hands for his benefit and then give something out of such earnings in charity.' The Companions asked: 'What if he is not able to work?' The Prophet (saws) said: 'He should help poor and needy persons.' The Companions further asked 'What if he cannot do even that?' The Prophet (saws) said 'He should urge others to do good.' The Companions said 'What if he lacks that also?' The Prophet (saws) said 'He should check himself from doing evil. That is also charity.'

Also, perfect for iftar viewing, an animated film about the life of the Prophet (saws)

irhal.jpg

Timeline

Should have gotten this before Ramadan, but alas. InshaAllah soon

Quran on DVD - excellent recitations with the english translation on the screen.

Anyone own any other quran dvds that they would recommend?

irhal.jpg

Filed: Timeline

The Payment of Zakaatul-Fitr in Money

Shaykh Muhammad Ibn Saaleh Al-Uthaymeen

(Professor at the College of Sharee'ah and Usoolud-Deen)

Q.1 Is it permissible to discharge the obligation of Zakaatul-Fitr on the first day of Ramadhaan? And is it permissible to distribute it in money?

Answer

As for the discharging of it on the first day of Ramadhaan - there is Ikhtilaaf (difference of opinion among the scholars) about it. The most correct opinion is that it's not permissible, because it is called Zakaatul-Fitr, and Al-Fitr (ending of the fast) does not occur except at the end of the month. Also, the Messenger of Allaah ordered that it be discharged before the people go out to the Prayer (Salaatul-'Eed). Along with that, the companions (Sahabah) used to give out the Zakaatul-Fitr one or two days before the 'Eed. As for discharging the Zakaatul-Fitr in MONEY, this is a point of Ikhtilaf (difference among the scholars). And the correct opinion - as I see it - is that it is not discharged except by (distribution of) FOOD.

This is because Ibn Umar said: "The Messenger of Allaah made obligatory (the payment of) Zakaatul-Fitr from a Saa' of dates or a Saa' of barley..."1

Abu Sa'eed Al-Khudree said: "We used to distribute it (Zakaatul-Fitr) in the time of the Messenger of Allaah as one saa' of food, and our food was dates and barley and raisins and cottage cheese..."2 So, it becomes clear from these two hadeeth that it (Zakaatul-Fitr) is not discharged except from FOOD. And the distribution of it in food displays it openly and shows it, and all of the members of the family know about it. In this way, there is an exhibition or manifestation of this aspect of the religion.

As for discharging it in money, this causes it to be concealed (unseen), and perhaps the person may favour himself, by discharging it in money, and thus reduce its amount.3 Therefore, strictly following the Law (al-Qur'aan and Sunnah) is best and it is blessed. Someone might argue that the distribution of food doesn't benefit the poor. (But, we say) the poor person - if truly poor - must definitely benefit from the food.

Q.2 Is it permissible to discharge Zakaatul-Fitr in money? - with mention of the evidences.

Answer

Zakaatul-Fitr is not permissible except (to be paid) from FOOD. And it is not allowed to discharge its value in money. This is because the Prophet made it obligatory (to be discharged) from a saa' of dates or a saa' of barley.

Abu Sa'eed Al-Khudree said: "We used to discharge it (Zakaatul-Fitr) in the time of the Prophet as a saa' of FOOD...)".4

Therefore, it is not lawful for anyone to discharge Zakaatul-Fitr from money (dirhams) or clothing or household furnishings. Instead, that which is obligatory is to discharge it in what Allaah has made obligatory on the tongue of the Prophet . There is no consideration (weight) for the Istihsaan [viewing of something to be good, without basis from the legal sources of Qur'aan and Sunnah] of those of the people who viewed the giving of money as a good thing. The Law (Sharee'ah) does not follow (i.e. it is not secondary to) the opinions of people.

No, it (the Law) is from the One Who is Wise, Knowing -Allaah - The Mighty, The Glorious, The Most Knowing, The Most Wise. So, if that which has been made obligatory by the tongue of Muhammad is a saa' of food, then it is not permissible to bypass (skip over) that, no matter what our intellects make us to view as being good. Instead, it is a must that the human being question and suspect his intellect and views if it conflicts with, or contradicts, the law of Allaah.

Q.3 What is the ruling in the case of someone compelled to discharge Zakaatul-Fitr by money? And does it fulfill for him his obligation?

Answer

It appears to me that if someone is compelled to discharge the Zakaatul-Fitr by money, then he should give them the money, and not openly disobey those in authority. But, as far as that which is between him and Allaah, he should discharge what he has been commanded by the Prophet to discharge. So, he should discharge a saa' of food as the Prophet commanded. Their compelling you to discharge it from money is compulsion to do something which Allaah has not legislated. In that case, you must fulfill what you believe to be obligatory.

Q.4 Is it permissible to discharge Zakaatul-Fitr from meat? Some of the desert dwellers don't have food to distribute for Zakaatul-Fitr, so is it permissible for them to slaughter some of their animals and distribute it to the poor? Answer

This is not correct, because the Prophet made it obligatory to give one saa' of food, while meat is measured by weight (not by volume).

Ibn Umar t said: "The Messenger of Allaah made obligatory the Zakaatul-Fitr as a saa' of dates or a saa' of barley..."5

And Abu Sa'eed al-Khudree t said: "We used to discharge it (Zakaatul-Fitr) in the lifetime of the Prophet as a saa' of food, and our food was dates, and barley, and raisins and cottage cheese "6

For this reason, the strongest opinion of the sayings of the scholars is that Zakaatul-Fitr is not fulfilled by paying (distributing of) money, nor clothing, nor furnishings (furniture). There is no weight to the sayings of those who say that Zakaatul-Fitr is fulfilled by payment of money; this being so because as long as we have in front of us a text of the Prophet ( then there is no opinion (in the matter) after his, nor accepting as good what the intellect considers good while negating the Law (the Qur'aan and Sunnah). Allaah U will not ask us about the opinion of so and so on the day of Resurrection. He will only question us about the saying of the Messenger ( as in His (Allaah's U) saying :

And ( remember) the Day (Allaah) will call to them and say: what answer gave you to the Messengers?7

Just imagine yourself standing before Allaah on the day of Resurrection while it had been made obligatory on you to fulfill the payment of Zakaatul-Fitr from Food. Will it be possible, if you are asked on the day of Resurrection: How did you answer the Messenger of Allaah in reference to the obligation of this charity? Will it be possible for you to defend yourself and say: By Allaah! this is the opinion of so and so, and this is the opinion of such and such? The answer: No! and even if you said that, it would not benefit you (at all). The truth, without doubt, is that Zakaatul-Fitr is not accepted except from FOOD; and any food which is the staple food of the country fulfils this obligation.

If you see the opinions of the scholars in this issue, you will see that they are on two extremes and one in the middle. One (extreme) side says: Pay it (Zakaatul-Fitr) from food or pay it from cash (money). The other (extreme) side says: Don't pay it from money, and don't pay it from food except five types only, that is : wheat, dates, barley, raisins, cottage cheese. These two opinions are the extreme opposite of each other.

As for the middle opinion, it says : Pay it (Zakaatul-Fitr) from every food which the people are fed from, and not from that which the people are not fed from. So, pay it from wheat, dates, rice, pearl millets (dukhn), corn - and whatever is similar to that, - even to the extent if we accepted the idea that there is a place where the staple food of the people is meat, then we would pay it from meat. Based on this, it becomes clear that what the questioner mentioned about the people of the desert giving meat in place of (a saa' of those staple items which are normally given as) Zakaatul-Fitr, does not fulfill the obligation of Zakaatul-Fitr.

The preceding Fataawaa (Legal Decisions) were taken from the book entitled "Fataawaa Ash-Shaykh Muhammad Ibn Saaleh al-Uthaymeen (Hafizahu'llah -May Allaah Protect and Preserve him).

Footnotes

1 Bukhaaree 2:579 One Saa' is equal to four (4) Mudd, and one (1) Mudd is equal to the amount held by cupping the two hands together. It is a measure by volume not by weight

2 Bukhaaree 2:582

3 As the amount would differ if we compare the value of one saa' of dates to one saa' of barley for example. Since a saa' of barley is about 7 riyals ($2.00), while a saa' of dates ranges -according to quality - from 25 riyals ($7.00) for a lesser quality to 42 riyals ($12.00) for a medium quality, to 175 riyals ($49.00) for the best quality per saa'.

4 Bukhaaree 2:582

5 Bukhaaree 2:579

6 Bukhaaree 2:582

7 Al-Qasaas : 65

Link

Timeline

Some allow the payment of zakat ul fitr in the form of money. I guess people should follow those they feel comfortable with

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?HD=...86&CATE=434

Is it permissible for a Shafi’i to pay his zakat al-fitr in the form of money?

Answered by Shaykh Amjad Rasheed

Is it permissible for a Shafi’i to pay his zakat al-fitr in the form of money?

It is a known fact that our school and the school of the majority of scholars, does not permit giving zakat al-fitr in the form of money, rather one must pay it in food, as exposited in the hadiths, such as wheat.

The Hanafi scholars have differed, so they have permitted paying it in money, and this is a highly deemed ruling that is permissible for a Shafi`i and others to follow and act upon, along with the condition that they know the details of the Hanafi school in that.

Amjad Rasheed

(Translated by Shazia Ahmad)

السؤال: هل يجوز للشافعي أن يدفع زكاة الفطر نقداً ؟

الجواب : لا يخفى أن مذهبنا ومذهب جمهور العلماء عدم جواز إخراج صدقة الفطر نقداً بل تخرج من الطعام المبين في الأحاديث كالبُرّ ، وخالف في ذلك السادةُ الحنفية فأجازوا ذلك ، وهو قول معتبر يجوز تقليده والعمل به للشافعي وغيره بشرط أن يعلم تفصيلَ مذهب الحنفية في ذلك .

irhal.jpg

Timeline

Ramadan is drawing to a close :crying: But, depending on when you started the month, either today or tomorrow signals the last 10 days, and there are a million different ways to gain benefit from this time :dance: Our Prophet (saws) used to go into seclusion in the masjid during these last 10 days, devoting them to worship of Allah (swt). Although you don't have to hide away in the masjid, do take advantage of these blessed days by upping your acts of ibadah (worship). And, one of these nights is Laylat ul Qadr, the night of power, the night when Gabriel first came to the Prophet (saws) and gave him the Qur'an.

In the name of God, the Beneficent the Merciful

Indeed We sent it [the Holy Quran] down on the Night of Power.

What will convey to you what the Night of Power is like!

Better is the Night of Power than a thousand months

in that Night the angels and the Spirit descend

by the permission of their Lord for every affair.

Peace it is, till the break of dawn.

[Quran, Chapter 97]

Things to do

Read Quran (in arabic and/or english) and reflect on it's meaning

Recite Quran

Make Dhikr

Attend Taraweeh Prayers

Make Tahajud - night prayers

Pay Zakatur Fitr

Make frequent dua

Webpages with resources about the last 10 daysIslam Online's articles

Laylat ul Qadr

When is Laylatul Qadr

Don't let this time slip away from you! inshaAllah ta'ala, if we establish ourselves firmly during this month, we can continue it throughout the year.

irhal.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.