brika

Establishing U.S. domicile/Getting a job

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Japan
Timeline

Here's my situation: I'm looking to file the I-130 with my wife, then as soon as its approved, I'll move back to the U.S. by myself, secure a job and place to live, and then have my wife go for her visa interview and eventually move to the U.S.

So, for those of you who've been in a similar situation and have already gone through this kind of situation, I'm just curious to know how long it took you to go from the I-130 interview to finally settling down with the family back in the U.S. Would love not have to be separated from my wife and kids for too long, but can people out there tell me what kind of experiences they've had?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

A lot of that will depend on where you want to settle down and what kind of work you are looking for. You could start applying for jobs now via craigslist, monster and other job sites, as many will take a while until interview are arranged. I wouldn't put an address abroad though, use a friend or family member's mailing address in the USA so as not to put off potential employers.

We had a place to live before any of us moved, as we transfered our savings to the USA and then my USC husband went over twice for a couple of weeks to house hunt (I didn't go with as we had newborn twins at the time). Owning a house also helped with the domicile and affidavit of support issues. We moved to NW Arkansas partially because my husband has family here, and partially because it has low unemployment (Walmart HQ, and other large multi-nationals). Not wanting to scare you, but two years in and my husband, who is in IT, still has not found permanent work.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.