Erroneous

No case updates. Asking for a "immigration officer" a good idea?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

I have read in a couple of posts that people recommend that others call and ask for an "immigration officer" which will answer questions beyond what the scripted operators can answer for you (if you are having issues). Is this true? Is it looked down upon when they view your case in the future? The reason I ask is because I had my interview with my wife on November 3rd, and other than a touch on November 4th there has been no updates, responses, etc.. I have called and gotten the scripted response before stating to wait 90 days since the interview has taken place (they said 60 until they noticed my interview had taken place).

The wait is killing us, but I would not like to piss anyone off when they do finally get to my case. Any advice is appreciated.

-

Erroneous

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

On that same note. I looked at the Salt Lake City processing times for I485 requests, and it states 4 months. What is the 4 months based on? When it is transferred from the service center, or after the interview?

Just curious.

Thank you.

-

Erroneous

The 4 months means from the initial receipt date. If you have your interview in November and haven't gotten a decision yet, then it sounds like there is some additional processing needed on your case.

Yes, you can ask for an IO on the phone; it will not harm your case. I think a better option for you would be to make an Infopass appointment at your local office and talk to the people there.

I am a bit confused though, you say that you had an interview on Nov. 3, but you are waiting for someone to "get to your case." Someone already got to your case and interviewed you... if there is no positive decision made yet, then there is something in the way of a positive decision. What happened in your interview? Can you think of something negative that your Interviewer was focused on? What happened when the interview was over... did you get a reason for delay? Did you/she enter on K-1 visa?

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

I don't know how efficient would it be to call and ask for an "immigration officer".

The only thing that officer could do is place a service request and then they will ask you to wait (again) a minimum of 30 days before you could follow up again. I've done that in the past and the only thing I got was an email confirming the service request, however my case didn't move.

Once I made an infopass appointment and talk face to face to somebody, I found out what the issue was and the person at the desk helped me fix the problem. If I hadn't scheduled the infopass, my file would've been sitting in the Fairfax, VA office for a long time getting all dusty while it was supposed to be transferred to Baltimore, MD due to my address change.

Don;t wait anymore and schedule an infopass. Good luck!

Edited by juliava

My N-400 Journey

06-02-2017 - N-400 package mailed to Dallas Lockbox

06-06-2017 - Credit card charged; received text and email confirming that application was received and NOA is on its way

06-10-2017 - Received NOA letter from NBC dated 06-05-2017

06-16-2017 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter for 06-28-2017

01-19-2018 - Interview Letter sent

02-27-18 - Interview and Oath Ceremony. Finally US CITIZEN! 

My ROC Journey

03-08-2012 - I-751 package mailed to VSC

03-10-2012 - I-751 package delivered

03-14-2012 - Check cashed

03-15-2012 - NOA received, dated 03-12-2012

04-27-2012 - Biometrics appointment

11-23-2012 - ROC approved

11-28-2012 - Approval letter received

12-06-2012 - 10 years Green Card received

My AOS Journey

04-17-09 I-130&I-485&I-765 received by USCIS

04-19-10 AOS Approved

04-29-10 Green Card received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.