Zack88

paperwork moving Canadian wife to the US

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I figured I would join this community since I have seen nothing but helpful posts towards members' situations while I have been browsing, and figured I would ask a question of my own. I am currently in the process of trying to move my wife, who is a Canadian citizen, into the United States to live with me. We are going to file all her paperwork at once, meaning we would be filing the I-130 to petition her as my alien relative (spouse), the I-485 to register her for Permanent Residence, and the I-765 to allow her to apply for employment. Are there any other forms that I would/should include to get as many parts of the process done as quickly and efficiently as possible? Any input above and beyond what I have listed would be greatly appreciated, as I cannot seem to get a completely straight answer no matter how many different pages I have been reading.

If she is in Canada, then you only need to file the I-130 which is the beginning of a path leading to a spousal visa, either CR-1/IR-1 (which one is granted depends on how long you have been married). When that is granted, her entering the US on that visa will trigger her Permanent Residence Status which allows her to work. No I-485 or I-765 is needed for spousal visas. Also, check the guide in the menus up top. Good luck!

Edit: Here is the VJ guide:

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

Ignore all references to a K-3; that option is basically unattainable.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Hi, good luck on your journey. I'm a Canadian and married a US citizen (my wife) - it took us about 7 months although we were somewhat lucky given that others had more delays etc. Have a good look guide on here and it'll give you step by step information on what and how to file etc. Ask questions as you are. People on this site are very helpful as well. Get familiar with the guides and all the steps.

Best of luck to you guys :thumbs:

2007 Nov 30: Met in Las Vegas, Nevada

2009 Jul 13: Proposed/Engaged in Sedona, Arizona

2009 Dec 26: Married in Tucson, Arizona

USCIS

2009 Dec 30: Filed I-130

2010 Jan 02: I-130 delivered

2010 Jan 07: NOA1 - email - CSC

2010 Jan 11: Received NOA1 hardcopy

2010 Mar 24: NOA2 - email & text - NVC

2010 Mar 29: Received NOA2 hardcopy

I-130 was approved in 76 days from NOA1 date

NVC

2010 Mar 30: NVC received - case# assigned - emails given to NVC

2010 Mar 30: Opted in - DS3032 emailed to NVC

2010 Mar 31: Received AOS bill & DS3032 - paid AOS

2010 Apr 05: Online payment portal confirms paid AOS(Apr 2 processing date)

2010 Apr 05: Sent I-864 package

2010 Apr 15: EP confirmation email

2010 Apr 15: IV bill generated & paid

2010 Apr 15: Email confirmation - receipt of DS3032

2010 Apr 16: IV bill confirmed paid - sent DS230 package

2010 Apr 19: NVC operator confirms I864 & DS230 documents have been received

2010 Apr 21: AVR confirms all documents received Apr 19th

2010 Apr 23: Email from NVC: case complete - confirmed by NVC - sign in fail

Completed in 24 days

CONSULATE

2010 May 27: Email from NVC - consulate received file - interview Montreal Jul 27th

2010 Jun 16: Medical @ Woking Medical Centre, Vancouver, Canada - APPROVED

2010 Jul 27: Interview @ US Consulate in Montreal, Canada - APPROVED

Your interview took 201 days from your I-130 NOA1 date

2010 Aug 13:POE Washington - APPROVED

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

2012 May 14 - mailed I-751

2012 May 16 - delivered @ CSC

2012 Jun 18 - I 551 stamp

2012 Jun 28 - biometrics appointment NOA notice date Jun 7

2012 Dec 20 - approved

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you for the help so far! from what I have been reading in those guides you had both mentioned I would be filing the I-130 before I would be able to file another of the following paperwork? When I was looking on the USCIS website the average time of approval of the form was about 5 months. If that is true, I would be waiting 5 months before I would be filing for one of the visas which would take on average another 7 months? Hopefully I am wrong in thinking this, as this regretably compounds the amount of time that I am going to be seperated from my wife. =/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Most of us are in the same boat. We waited 5 months for the USCIS to approve our petition, then another month or so at NVC. That can move quickly if you have everything prepared in advance. We thought we would have to wait another 5 months for our interview at the Montreal Consulate, but we are blessed to have our appt. on Feb 24th. Way ahead of schedule. It is time consuming and the separation difficult at times, but it surely will happen if you have your paperwork perfect and no issues.

Good luck on your journey. This site has been excellent for us and saved us thousands of dollars not having to hire a lawyer.

Feb 14, 2010 - Engaged :-)
Apr 17, 2010 - Married
May 24, 2010 - I-130 Sent to USCIS
Oct 20, 2010 - : I-130 NOA2 APPROVED..GOD IS GOOD!!!!! smile.png
Oct 26, 2010 : NVC Received
Dec 06, 2010 - Case Complete at NVC
Jan 24, 2011 - Medical exam
Feb 24, 2011 - Passed, welcome to USA
Mar 04, 2011 - POE - Detroit, MI
Mar 14, 2011 - SSN# Rec'd
Mar 24, 2011 - smile.png GC and Welcome Letter
Sept 19, 2011- Filed I-130 for my son (his step son)
June 14, 2013-APPROVED, 10 YR GC IN THE MAIL

Mar 3, 2014- N-400

May 12, 2014 Interview for Citizenship- PASSED!

June 12th, USA citizen - Oath Ceremony...all done here!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.