Linha87

K-1 - Brazil time line

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello! My fiance and I are going through the K-1 process and I would like to know if anyone would know what is the process average time line for brazilians...Thanks!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Olá! Meu noivo e eu estamos passando pelo processo do K-1 (visto de noivo) e eu gostaria de saber se alguém saberia me dizer quanto tempo em média leva o processo para brasileiros... Obrigada!

* Love conquers all *

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

for nessa and i it was about 6 months from submission to interview. you can check for more recent info in the brasileiritchas thread:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/99253-brasileiritchas/

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

for nessa and i it was about 6 months from submission to interview. you can check for more recent info in the brasileiritchas thread:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/99253-brasileiritchas/

I'll definitely take a look! :) Thank you very much and congratulations for your victory! :)

* Love conquers all *

Timeline

I'll definitely take a look! :) Thank you very much and congratulations for your victory! :)

It took us around 5 1/2 months. Once you get your NOA2, the process goes pretty fast (at least for us it did). The interview was scheduled for about a month after NVC sent our case on to the embassy. That gave us just enough time to get a flight to Rio to do the medical and interview. Good luck to you!

event.png

Timeline

It took us around 5 1/2 months. Once you get your NOA2, the process goes pretty fast (at least for us it did). The interview was scheduled for about a month after NVC sent our case on to the embassy. That gave us just enough time to get a flight to Rio to do the medical and interview. Good luck to you!

Thank you for replying! :) I have been so anxious and nervous about it all, been far from my fiancé is killing me and right now all my life is on hold! But I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about once you passed through the same! We got our NOA1 last week and now we are waiting on the NOA2 so I decided to start getting everything ready asap so when we get to the next step we will be good to go! I already started the medical exams today and tomorrow I'll call the federal and state police to see how do I do to get the police reports that they require! Anyway, I tend to talk a lot, specially when I'm impatient lol Thank you for the support you all give to us who are starting the process! It is really important to know we have people to count on! :)

* Love conquers all *

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Congrats on the NOA1. Be patient. Vermont is (unfortunately) not moving very fast right now. They are running about 5 to 5 1/2 months to approve NOA2's. :angry:

We received our NOA1 Sept 21, 2010. There are people with NOA1's dated in July that are just starting to show up with their NOA2's.

Maybe they will start moving faster...???? I certainly hope so for everyone's benefit.

Just start reading all you can about the process and what is needed. I have seen that a majority of setbacks are due to simply not being prepared or informed. Take it upon yourself to read and re-read all the instructions and also to read any post related to this process.

There is a lot of valuable information to be read here in forums.

Good Luck :thumbs:

John and Mari

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

Timeline

Congrats on the NOA1. Be patient. Vermont is (unfortunately) not moving very fast right now. They are running about 5 to 5 1/2 months to approve NOA2's. :angry:

We received our NOA1 Sept 21, 2010. There are people with NOA1's dated in July that are just starting to show up with their NOA2's.

Maybe they will start moving faster...???? I certainly hope so for everyone's benefit.

Just start reading all you can about the process and what is needed. I have seen that a majority of setbacks are due to simply not being prepared or informed. Take it upon yourself to read and re-read all the instructions and also to read any post related to this process.

There is a lot of valuable information to be read here in forums.

Good Luck :thumbs:

John and Mari

Thank you! Congrats for your NOA1 too! I did read some other topics and they were saying that seems like from times to times the USCIS starts looking into the other type of visas and that makes them to leave the K-1 aside, according to what I read they are most likely to start speeding up the K-1 processes now during winter! I really hope so, all this waiting is killing me and the time we spend waiting is the time we could be with the ones we love starting our lives!

I'm already getting everything together for when we get the packet from the Embassy here in Rio, I already went to the doctors, got my gynecologist's report, blood test and I'm about to get my vaccines because I lost my vaccination card...then I'm gonna start getting the police reports and so, when we get the packet I wanna be ready to send it back next day to make the appointment! Good luck for all of us! :)

* Love conquers all *

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

When my husband went through the process last year, there was no packet 3 for Brazil - they just made your appointment.

My husband's timeline went something like this:

• 80 days from NOA1 to NOA2 approval. This is where it varies by location (CSC vs VSC) and how busy they are and how much they're working on the K1s. I've seen it pop out in 60 days, I've seen it pop out in 7 months, all without problems or AP.
  • 7 days from NOA2 to arrival at the NVC. This is pretty typical, though a bit on the long side (we had a federal holiday, Martin Luther King Day, in that timeframe).
  • 5 days at NVC. Again, pretty typical.
  • 4 days from NVC to receipt in Rio. Pretty typical for Rio.
  • 7 days until they assigned the interview date (by letter) and 11 until electronic notice was given. I really don't know if this one is long or short or average for Rio - I had had the impression from others that within a few days of receiving, you can inquire about an interview date and get one, but they claimed they hadn't gotten it when I emailed the day after my interview date was scheduled. Typical government efficiency, left hand doesn't really know what the right hand is doing.
  • 42 days from electronic notice / 49 days from consular receipt to interview. Fairly typical for Brazil

So, usually, it takes 3-5 months to get to the NOA2 approval. And with Brazil, the interview will be normally be around 9 and 11 weeks later. The consulate's pretty good about letting you reschedule (we rescheduled from our original interview twice), though it's got to be for a pretty special reason to go past 4 months of approval.

I-129F Petition Mailed: 26 Oct 2009 ♥ NOA1: 27 Oct 2009 ♥ NOA2: 15 Jan 2010

K-1 VisaNVC: 22-27 Jan 2010 ♥ RdJ receipt: 1 Feb 2010 ♥ Packet 3/4: 12 Feb 2010 ♥ Interview: 4 May 2010

»-(¯`·.·´¯)-> Married (17 Aug 2010) <-(¯`·.·´¯)-«

AOS (I-485)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ To CSC: 20 Sept 2010 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Oct 2010 ♥ RFE: 10 -16 Nov 2010 ♥ Approved: 18 Nov 2010

AP (I-131)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ Approved: 20 Oct 2010

EAD (I-765)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Oct 2010 ♥ Approved: 20 Oct 2010

ROC (I-751)Mailed: 6 Nov 2012 ♥ NOA: 7 Nov 2012 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Dec 2012 ♥ Approved: 15 May 2013

Naturalization (N-400)Mailed: 03 August 2015 ♥ NOA: 07 August 2015 ♥ Biometrics: 3 Sept 2015 ♥ Interview: 13 Nov 2015 ♥ Oath: 8 Dec '15

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

For my husband it seemed to go pretty fast during the whole process.

I submitted everything on April 14th of last year. It took about 63 days from the NOA1 to NOA2. No RFEs or touches during that time, just went from initial processing to approved. It spent about 4 days at the NVC and then was received in Rio about 5 days later. Once we had confirmation that they had received it we emailed the consulate asking about our interview date. We received an email response with the date and time and then on the 15th of July we received the packet 4. His interview date was on August 24th. It took about 127 days or 4 months from the NOA1 until the interview.

event.png

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Hello, Thank you for all the helpful questions and answers on this forum. It's been helpful as well as reassuring. My attorney Just mailed our 1-29 (03/08/2011 at the California office. My fiancee is petrified at the idea of the interview. She was denied a tourisat Visa in Sao Paulo last February. Can anyone that has gone through the K 1 interview in Rio, give any feedback from the interview. I realize each case is different. However, any feedback would be helpful. Also, a question I was wondering, am I allowed to be at the interview? If I am, I was also wondering if it's a good idea. Thanks in advance for any feedback. Regards, Robert

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

Being denied a tourist visa is not going to be a problem for the K1 if it was due to an inability to show ties to Brazil. (Other reasons, like previous misrepresentation / illegal presence in the US, will of course impact the whole visa process differently).

Like your fiancée, my husband L (the Brazilian half) was denied a tourist visa prior to our K1 application. When you get to the interview stage, one of the forms will ask if she has ever been refused admittance to the US, and the answer is YES - but explain that it was due to a denied tourist visa, and that she couldn't show ties to Brazil. They will look in their records (which they'll do anyway, so don't lie - material misrepresentation can lead to a lifetime ban!) and confirm that it was a denial based on insufficient ties. They may ask about it at the interview -- L's CO did -- and they may not. If your fiancée still has the paperwork from the visa denial, she will want to bring it to the interview. L's CO didn't want it (he had his own copy), but seemed pleased that he had brought it.

Regarding attending the interview: you are absolutely allowed to go to the interview! When L interviewed, most of the people there were couples with both parties. They look favorably on the petitioner being there (after all, what better proof of relationship than a willingness to fly to the interview?), but it is unlikely to hurt your petition in Brazil if you (the American) does not attend. (There are other countries, like Ecuador, where the same cannot be said.) I attended L's interview, and the CO actually asked *me* more questions than he asked L! So be prepared, they will ask you questions as well if you are there. (You can have the interview in Portuguese or English or both, whatever suits your mutual needs - in our case, I knew *some* Portuguese, but not enough to follow and certainly not enough to respond, so L requested it be in English.)

ETA: If you have any questions, feel free to PM me! I don't check my notifications often now that we're done 'til it's time to renew L's green card, but I get an email when I've got a PM. :)

Edited by K and L

I-129F Petition Mailed: 26 Oct 2009 ♥ NOA1: 27 Oct 2009 ♥ NOA2: 15 Jan 2010

K-1 VisaNVC: 22-27 Jan 2010 ♥ RdJ receipt: 1 Feb 2010 ♥ Packet 3/4: 12 Feb 2010 ♥ Interview: 4 May 2010

»-(¯`·.·´¯)-> Married (17 Aug 2010) <-(¯`·.·´¯)-«

AOS (I-485)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ To CSC: 20 Sept 2010 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Oct 2010 ♥ RFE: 10 -16 Nov 2010 ♥ Approved: 18 Nov 2010

AP (I-131)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ Approved: 20 Oct 2010

EAD (I-765)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Oct 2010 ♥ Approved: 20 Oct 2010

ROC (I-751)Mailed: 6 Nov 2012 ♥ NOA: 7 Nov 2012 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Dec 2012 ♥ Approved: 15 May 2013

Naturalization (N-400)Mailed: 03 August 2015 ♥ NOA: 07 August 2015 ♥ Biometrics: 3 Sept 2015 ♥ Interview: 13 Nov 2015 ♥ Oath: 8 Dec '15

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.