VetsWife328

Driver's License in WA State?!

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

OK here's my question,once I move to the USA next year we will be living in WA State.And-I will need to get a Drivers Lisence....... :help:

Never had one.......so what do I have to do to get one? Do I HAVE to go to a Driving School or can my (by then) hubby or my best friend teach me and I only have to do the Driving Test (written and practical)?

Also what does the State of Washington require? SSN only? SSN and NoA1 for AOS or Green Card all done?????

Will need to be driving soon after getting to the US since my man is a Truck Driver and pretty much never home :crying: .(With a littly luck he may get a different job real soon and would be home every day!!!! Keep them fingers crossed for us!!!!)

TY

Nat

Met on May 17,2005

Got engaged on Sep 15th,2006

Came to the US for good on Jan 27th,2009

and we got married on March 28th,2009

GOD , grant me the serenity

to accept the things I can not change

the courage to change the things I can

and the wisdom to know the difference!

I passed my test in Vancouver, WA. I showed my UK passport, UK license my SSN and a marriage certificate as I recall. I went in the morning, and sat the computer test, and passed 100%. They then asked if I would like to come back that afternoon for my drive. Its a short drive, and took around ten minutes.

I totally recommend www.driversed.com to help with learning the theory part, I found that really useful in helping me prepare for the written test.

Good luck! :D

01/10/05 - Arrived back in US

01/26/05 - Got Married! WooHoo!

02/14/05 - Had Medical Exam

02/22/05 - Filed for AOS in Seattle, in person

03/31/05 - Got EAD!!

04/02/05 - Biometrics and Fingerprinting

05/19/05 - AOS Interview - awaiting decision...

08/24/05 - (conditional) Permanent Resident

09/08/05 - Passport stamped in Seattle

09/19/05 - Recieved actual Greencard! YAY!!!

05/24/07 - 90 days to remove conditions starts!

06/02/07 - Filed I-751, California Service Center

08/09/07 - Biometrics and Fingerprinting

08/28/07 - I-751 Approved & conditions are removed!

09/12/07 - Recieved 10 year Greencard! YEAH!!!

*now contemplating N-400 and citizenship*

I passed my test in Vancouver, WA. I showed my UK passport, UK license my SSN and a marriage certificate as I recall. I went in the morning, and sat the computer test, and passed 100%. They then asked if I would like to come back that afternoon for my drive. Its a short drive, and took around ten minutes.

I totally recommend www.driversed.com to help with learning the theory part, I found that really useful in helping me prepare for the written test.

Good luck! :D

Just wondering if you know whether or not it is legal to drive in Washington with a European driver's license? My husband is anxious to be driving and wants to practice before taking the test. I'm wondering what you did to prepare for the driving part of the test?

Thanks!

I129-F

Packet sent............10/12/05

NOA 1....................10/17/05

NOA 2....................11/07/05

Received packet 3...12/16/05

Interview date.........04/20/06

Visa received..........04/20/06

Date of US entry......04/30/06

Wedding.................05/28/06

I-485/I-765

AOS/EAD packet sent.........6/02/06

NOA1 AOS.........................6/14/06

NOA1 EAD.........................6/16/06

Biometrics.........................7/03/06

Interview date...................7/28/06

AOS approved !! ...............7/28/06

"Welcome to the USA" letter.....8/04/06

Greencard arrives!!..............8/14/06

AOS approved in 45 days!!

I-751 Removing conditions

Packet sent................4/26/08

Check cashed.............5/02/08

Biometrics..................5/27/08

Approved..................10/17/08

I move to Olympia on September the 1st and I will have to do that too, i don't have a driver's license either :-/

How much is it?

Check out this website - I know there is a section that goes over fees, etc.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/gettingalicense.html

I129-F

I-485/I-765

Filed: Timeline
Just wondering if you know whether or not it is legal to drive in Washington with a European driver's license? My husband is anxious to be driving and wants to practice before taking the test. I'm wondering what you did to prepare for the driving part of the test?

It is legal for up to one year to drive with a European drivers license. I have a UK driving license and a WA driving license. I did ask all these questions and more when I went to the license place.

3dflagsdotcom_us_wa_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_ukeng_2fawm.gif

It is legal for up to one year to drive with a European drivers license. I have a UK driving license and a WA driving license. I did ask all these questions and more when I went to the license place.

Thanks for that information - we didn't realize it was legal for him to use his European license as a Washington resident. We thought it was only legal if you were here visiting.

Edited by saraandiffy

I129-F

I-485/I-765

Filed: Timeline

Happy driving to you and your husband lol it is gonna be fun, the test is easy once you go over the book a few times (this is free from your local license office) it tells you everything you need to know.

You can take the written test and book an appointment for the driving test on the day but cannot take both on the same day, hmmm does that make sense to you!!!!! Anyway the tests cost $20 and $25.

3dflagsdotcom_us_wa_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_ukeng_2fawm.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.