hattia86

K-1 Pictures

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hello, I met my fiance in Egypt just this past summer. I want to apply for a K-1 visa for him to marry him here. But because of our culture, we may have different standards for what constitutes a genuine relationship. We have phone records of our relationships, but no photos of us together. We both come from a conservative Muslim background and "conventional" dating is discouraged.

The way marriages are done for us is sort of in reverse of western marriages. The man asks as her father for the girl's hand in marriage, then upon approval from the parents, family, and the girl, the couple begins to discuss whether they are compatible enough to continue to relationship, as well as marriage plans. Since the whole process is with the intent of marriage, the courtship period is usually much shorter. For us, it was a little over 4 months.

I saw him in Egypt and I have plane tickets to prove I was there. Also, we have phone records of the relationship. Since everything was discussed over the phone, there were no emails discussing the relationship. However, there are records of blood and DNA tests that were done to rule out any genetic disorders that might come up in children. These tests were done because my fiance and I happen to be half-cousins, a practice that is very common in the Middle East. I am hoping these genetic tests will indicate the seriousness of the relationship since they are in regard children in the future.

I plan to explain the cultural conditions of our engagement as well was explain the evidence given, or lack thereof. I am also planning to get my parents and his parents to write letters of our relationship.

I am hoping and praying this will be enough. What do you think?

PS: We will be married in California and half-cousin marriages are legal here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I think that explaining the situation will help to some degree however I know with many petitions photos are vital. But if you don't have them, you don't have them. I would provide as much other proof as possible that can show you did meet. Maybe letters from your parents and his parents? Explaining in the situation?

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Timeline

Photos can be of you and his family or your family or friends. They don't have to show you on "dates".

But you must have photos and without them you most likely will have a very difficult time getting a k1 visa I know someone who tried it.

They are not asking you to date just have photos of when you were there proving you actually did meet in person.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

The US embassy is very aware of the traditions of engagements and marriages in the countries that they reside. I would think that if you and your fiance are both Egyptian that the embassy would understand your situation more so if the US citizen was not Muslim or Egyptian. From what I have read here on VJ, I know that some people where approved at the application stage with out photos. Just be prepared at the interview in the Embassy to explain your case. Letters from the parents would be a good idea as someone else stated.

Meriem (F)

glitterfy200428648Z.gif

Timeline

One other issue that might come up - just to prepare you for this possibility - is that even though it may be traditional to marry a cousin there..it's not here. The CO may look at your relationship as a way to get a family member into the US and not as a valid fiance relationship. Without pictures of the two of you it may compound this. You will need to provide as much evidence as you possibly can to show them that it is an actual relationship and not just a means for your fiance to enter the US.

One other issue that might come up - just to prepare you for this possibility - is that even though it may be traditional to marry a cousin there..it's not here. The CO may look at your relationship as a way to get a family member into the US and not as a valid fiance relationship. Without pictures of the two of you it may compound this. You will need to provide as much evidence as you possibly can to show them that it is an actual relationship and not just a means for your fiance to enter the US.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.