sharky

"new" guidelines rules for I-864, not being followed by USCIS?

56 posts in this topic

I am curious to find out how many VJ members have recently submitted their I-864's in line with the so-called "new" guidelines introduced by USCIS as of July 21st, 2006.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...c=23173&hl=

........ and have received an RFE for more evidence for their I-864 (therefore going back to the old guidelines and making these so called "new" rules obsolete)

I got exactly that and it seems a heck of a lot of people are getting RFE's about their I-864's recently.......

so please post here if you had a similar situation

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Nothing these people do amaze me anymore. :wacko: I submitted my AOS before the new I-864.

Good luck,

Peter Miami

Johanna & Peter

Colombia / U.S.A.

I-129F / K-1 Fiancee Visa

08-20-02 - Met Johanna in Armenia, Colombia

10-05-05 - K-1 Sent to TSC

10-14-05 - Received NOA1 by E-Mail (Day 9)

12-22-05 - Reveived NOA2 By E-Mail & Mail (Day 78)

03-03-06 - Interview Date! (Day 149) Approved

03-10-06 - Johanna Arrived

05-27-06 - Married

I-485 / AOS (Did not applied for EAD or AP)

06-05-06 - Sent I-485 application to Chicago via USPS (Day 1)

06-06-06 - AOS Package Delivered at 12:29PM

06-12-06 - Received NOA1 by Mail

06-14-06 - Check Cashed

06-22-06 - Received Appointment Notice for Biometrics

06-26-06 - "Request for Additional Evidence" Online, waiting for letter

06-29-06 - Biometrics Done!

06-30-06 - Received RFE Letter by mail. (Missing Birth Certificate)

07-10-06 - Sent RFE by Express Mail USPS

07-11-06 - RFE Delivered @ 10:54AM Sign by D. Atwell

08-28-06 - AOS Transferred to CSC E-mail & USCIS Website (Day 85)

08-30-06 - Touched #1

08-31-06 - Touched #2

08-31-06 - E-Mail from CRIS & USCIS-CSSO - CSC received AOS Application

09-01-06 - Touched #3

09-01-06 - NOA by Mail Regarding Transfer to CSC

09-05-06 - Touched #4

09-07-06 - Touched #5

09-13-06 - Touched #6

09-15-06 - AOS Approved by Online Status & E-mail

09-21-06 - Received GC and Welcome Letter (Day 109)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Bahamas
Timeline

i submitted after the new rule... and so far, so good. :unsure:

they have 3 years of taxes with them in our k-1 file, should they need the additional information.

but *shrugs* there have been RFEs for a multitude of reasons... in some cases, for information they already HAVE. so i guess it just depends on how the person viewing your case is feeling that day.

Adjustment of Status

July 1 2006 - Sent EAD & AOS packet

Sept 19 2006 - EAD APPROVED

Sept 22 2006 - AOS APPROVED

Sept 23 2006 - EAD card arrived

Sept 29 2006 - GC arrived!!!

Removal of Conditions

Jul 9 2008 - Filed @ VSC

Feb 25 2009 - Transferred to CSC

June 20 2009 - Card production ordered

NATURALIZATION

Aug 24 2009 - Mailed N-400 priority mail

Aug 26 2009 - rec'd at TX Lockbox

Aug 27 2009 - NOA1 (rec'd 8/31)

Aug 28 2009 - check cashed

Sept 4 2009 - biometrics notice [rec'd Sept 9]

Sept 25 2009 - Biometrics

Oct 17 2009 - Email about file transfer for interview

Oct 21 2009 - Interview Letter Rec'd

Dec 8 2009 - Interview - PASSED!!!!!!

Dec 19 2009 - Oath Letter rec'd

Jan 14 2010 - OATH CEREMONY!!!!

Jan 15 2010 - Passport app.

Jan 21 2010 - Nat. cert. returned

Jan 22 2010 - Passport rec'd

We have an RFE coming in the mail and submitted the new form with 3 yrs tax returns for my cosponsor (and 1 for me) and nothing else (then again, nothing else was required), so I'll let you know if they messed me up too.

Naturalization

=======================================

02/02/2015 - Filed Dallas lockbox. Atlanta office.

02/13/2015 - NOA received

03/10/2015 - Biometrics

03/12/2015 - In-Line for Interview

04/09/2015 - E-notification for Interview Letter

05/18/2015 - Interview - passed!

I agree that it seems I read in many timelines lately "RFE" for I-864, and was wondering the same thing. I wonder if the new rules aren't being explained to the people reviewing, or they are just on robot mode and used to seeing certain things and just RFE'ing their little hearts out.

Married 12-30-05

Started our visa journey Jan 06.

01-06 - I-130, K3 shortly after

04-06 - switched to Canada Immigration

07-06 - Moved to Canada (PR almost complete)

07-06 - Changed again, back to US imm.

09-06 - Landed as Canadian PR

10-06 - DCF Toronto, Approved in 1.5 hrs!

11-06 - Interview Montreal (success!)

I-130

10-05-06 DCF in Toronto - Approved

10-19-06 Packet 3 received & sent back

10-20-06 Montreal receives P3

11-03-06 Packet 4 received

11-06-06 Medical

11-22-06 Interview / Visa approved

11-26-06 heading home, 6 day drive, my oh my

HOME SWEET HOME

10.24.08 - Mailed I-751 to CSC

Delivered at 9:03 AM on October 25, 2008

10.29.08 NOA1

10.30.08 Check cashed

12.06.08 Biometrics Appt.

12.19.08 Received new Drivers License extended to 2011

03.12.09 Received CONGRATULATIONS letter - Card on the way!!

03.20.09 Received his SHINY new card. WOO HOOOOOOO

YAY!! We can take a break from this madness until Citizenship.

I tell you I soooo tempted just to send back the RFE letter with a print out of the new regulations telling them chopf*cks to get of their sh*t together!!! :angry:

of course I could kiss my I-485 good bye then, as I'm sure it will be accidently lost in the USCIS system for a few years!! :P

something is going seriously wrong here though........ and I'm sure there will be many other poor VJ members who have to go through this sh*t......!

Edited by Paul C

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

I'm in the exact same positoon as you, i just received an RFE for my I-485 application and it was for the I-864. I called the USCIS and was put on hold for an hour (i don't know how i managed to handle that music so long) and finally spoke to an immigration officer who told me that they are in fact not rules but guidelines and that they can ask for whatever they want as many times as they want. I pointed out that the I-864 states that if you send in an IRS transcript you do not need to send them copies of your W-2 and that is why I got RFE'd so i guess they do really have the power to ask for anything. She also admitted that they do lose things so it's best to send in the whole I-864 package again not just what they asked for, and label it as 'duplicate copy.' Another thing to be aware of is that although the form tells you to keep all originals, where you can they do want originals, the immigration officer told me that i should have sent in the original version of the employment letter etc and just kept a photocopy for myself, when i did the opposite and retained the originals so she suggested i send in the original of that also if i wanted to avoid another RFE. It's so complicated, if they just had a transparent system and followed rules it would be so much easier. How are we supposed to comply and give them what they want when each officer may want something different? I guess it's just luck of the draw as to which officer you get....and if you wait long enough to be put through to the immigration officer on the info line they really are quite helpful.

I called the USCIS and was put on hold for an hour (i don't know how i managed to handle that music so long) and finally spoke to an immigration officer who told me that they are in fact not rules but guidelines and that they can ask for whatever they want as many times as they want.

PWNED!!111

(sorry)

A good point though this. If the officer doesn't believe your meeting whatever the requirements are, they will ask for more evidence. This is why they say what the minimum requirements are, but state you may add more stuff if you feel it will help your case.

Thank f*** I got away with the minimum.

my god....... the more threads I read about this the more I realize what a floored system USCIS has!! :(

I tell you I'm lost for words...... :unsure:

Why are you all so bothered by this? Fact is, the system is run by people, not machines, and they are trying to evaluate 'bona fide' marriages which is hardly an exact science, unlike tax returns.

Sure, it sucks if you have to send in extra info. It would annoy me, but one thing is for sure, no ammount of moaning is going to change the system.

Best advise I heard in all this is send in exactly what they ask for, when they ask for it and move on.

Edited by Purple_Hibiscus

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

I just got an RFE for the exact same thing. Have to send them proof of citizenship (I assume for me and my joint sponsor, I wouldn't think they would want mine since I'm OBVIOUSLY a citizen if we got the visa, but I'm not going to count on them to be smart enough to understand that), W-2's and 1099's, Tax transcripts, and employer letter. I hope my cosponsor (my dad) understands what exactly they are asking for because on some of it I don't have a damn clue. He does my taxes so I know nothing :P

Naturalization

=======================================

02/02/2015 - Filed Dallas lockbox. Atlanta office.

02/13/2015 - NOA received

03/10/2015 - Biometrics

03/12/2015 - In-Line for Interview

04/09/2015 - E-notification for Interview Letter

05/18/2015 - Interview - passed!

James and miranda,

I sympathize with your situation getting that RFE. As it turns out, from getting advice from other VJ members, I was told that I had filed my I-864 stuff incorrectly. I filed an I-864 for my wife and then an I-864A for my mother in law, as we're living at home at the moment. I have now been informed that I should have filed two seperate I-864's and the I-864a is for permenant residence in the same house, and not TEMPORARY residence (which is our case).............and so

now I have to wait for transcripts etc to come through and send back the whole package again!!

this stuff in enough to drive anyone crazy.... :P

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.