misseverything2u

Showing Ties to Canada

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I've been having trouble entering into the us.. Oct 13 2010---I drove from Canada.. planning on visiting my bf- however I mentioned boyfriend and how we meet - was on the internet - they brought me inside- he asked me how long I was going for... I didnt have a return date set as I was aware I could stay in the US for 6 months. I got denied entry as it didnt show I had any ties to Canada. I returned home and purchased a plane ticket (money that I didnt need to spend)... came back to the poe- was pulled inside again. After attempting to call my work many times.. he finally allowed me in until Dec 4- I return Nov 30 2010

I attempted to go shopping state side and was again pulled over.. I had my niece with me and stamped my passport saying I had to be back that day.

My problem is I would like to go back and visit my boyfriend for Christmas holidays New years-- our birthday and a trip to FL in Feb. to visit my parents who vaction there for months. Here are the problem:

I have no job - I gave up a 9 year job to focus on me.

I have no children.

I live with my parents to save money.

I have no utlity bills under my name.

I am looking for ideas to show ties to Canada...I have a master card going to this address. I can get rent reciepts, I can get a letter from my parents to say I live there and have my belongings here. I have a lawyers appt for a divorce in March ( I could get a letter).

Does anyone have any ideas that will help me. I really want to spend the holidays with my boyfriend.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This would be better suited to be in the Canada region section not the tourist section.

Looks like your going to have a very hard time with showing ties. The first time I tried entering with no job was the last time. I got a job and was never bothered again about it.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I never had much of a problem with this but I guess I was VERY lucky.

I did not have a job and I lived with My nana the last year before I moved. although on my first few trips I did have my son at home with my mom so That might have been why I didnt have much trouble at the start.

I brought with me anything i could find with my address on it, such as taxes,letters from Any mail, letters from friends and family, bank account statements, doctors appointment cards or other appointments that I had to show I would be back. I brought all my immigration paperwork with me.

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Timeline

The problem you have is that you've already been denied entry for not showing ties and now, still without ties, you want to return to the US. This will be difficult

Can you get a letter from your parents stating when they expect you to return? Do you have a car note that you have in Canada? What about a Canadian cell phone? Bank account?

Bring anything and everything you can

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I think, until you are able to show some very strong ties to Canada (paystubs, letter from work on when they expect you back, utility bills, rent reciepts) you will face extra scrutiny from CBP. Especially because you have been refused entry before. In my opinion, the strongest ties you could show to CBP that you have a reason to return is either of the NOA's. After all, why would someone pay allll that money to just screw it all up by not returning?

Anyway OP good luck with everything.

The problem you have is that you've already been denied entry for not showing ties and now, still without ties, you want to return to the US. This will be difficult

Can you get a letter from your parents stating when they expect you to return? Do you have a car note that you have in Canada? What about a Canadian cell phone? Bank account?

Bring anything and everything you can

Good luck

Thank you for your reply... I have gained entry and I have returned twice when they asked. I will get a letter and show a return date.. No cell phone.. I do have a bank account.. and I have upcoming doctors appts.

Thanks for your help.

Timeline

Bring proof of the doctor's appointments. Bring proof of the lawyer meeting re: the divorce; When do you renew your car insurance - that shows an ongoing commitment in Canada especially if you recently renewed it. What about bills for telephone service or internet service? You might want to get one of those at least into your name as these are generally billed in advance. Car loans to a Canadian bank? Any loans at all that you are making and paying regularly? Pets that you are leaving in Canada - proof of ownership from veterinarian works.

Always have a specified return date and never pack more clothes than you need for that length of time, nor bring in clothing inappropriate to the season. While Canadians are allowed to visit for a maximum of 6 months it isn't an automatic and the more you can show you have no intention of remaining in the US the more likely it is for you to be given that permission. Having no job, no financial ties that can't be relocated, no children, an American boyfriend and wanting to 'visit' for 6 months are definitely red flags. It sounds like you are trying to use the visitor status as a way to 'live' in the US without going through immigration - at least that is the way the border guards will see it. Every person who presents themselves at the US border for admission as a visitor is presumed to have immigration intent unless they can prove otherwise. You might want to try and establish more ties to Canada if you wish to keep continuing to visit the US. Good luck,.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Bring proof of the doctor's appointments. Bring proof of the lawyer meeting re: the divorce; When do you renew your car insurance - that shows an ongoing commitment in Canada especially if you recently renewed it. What about bills for telephone service or internet service? You might want to get one of those at least into your name as these are generally billed in advance. Car loans to a Canadian bank? Any loans at all that you are making and paying regularly? Pets that you are leaving in Canada - proof of ownership from veterinarian works.

Always have a specified return date and never pack more clothes than you need for that length of time, nor bring in clothing inappropriate to the season. While Canadians are allowed to visit for a maximum of 6 months it isn't an automatic and the more you can show you have no intention of remaining in the US the more likely it is for you to be given that permission. Having no job, no financial ties that can't be relocated, no children, an American boyfriend and wanting to 'visit' for 6 months are definitely red flags. It sounds like you are trying to use the visitor status as a way to 'live' in the US without going through immigration - at least that is the way the border guards will see it. Every person who presents themselves at the US border for admission as a visitor is presumed to have immigration intent unless they can prove otherwise. You might want to try and establish more ties to Canada if you wish to keep continuing to visit the US. Good luck,.

Those are great suggestions.. and in time we do want to be married.. however I am getting a divorce-- so I cant do the K1 yet... :(

Timeline

Those are great suggestions.. and in time we do want to be married.. however I am getting a divorce-- so I cant do the K1 yet... :(

When you do get around to filing for the K-1 visa, one of the best bits of evidence of ties to Canada that you can bring, interestingly enough, is a copy of your application and the various approval notices you receive from US immigration. It shows that you are aware of and are following the correct procedure for immigration and lends credibility to your statement that you are unlikely to jeopardize your chances by doing something inappropriate.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.