akatagirl

Ghanaian Embassy Experience

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Just wanted share my brother in law experience being at the Ghana Embassy today...

He went this morning and got there before 7am as instructed by many who have gone there..finally got in around 9am and the security guard would not let him thru.

My brother in law went there with a signed statement from my husband written on his football club letterhead giving his consent for him to have all our documents which were: a letter from NVC about our case being on the way to Ghana and details that NVC could not do a change of address since it was already on its way to Ghana, NOA2 letter for the i129f both front and back side, and copy of my husband's passport. (FYI, we scanned all this info and had his brother print it out online.)

My brother in law calls me all distraught and I think the guard heard him talking to me because in the midst of us talking on the phone, the guard calls him over, so he hangs up with me talk with the guard who then allows him to talk with an immigration officer. This person takes a look at his papers and tells him that they received our case but have not finished processing it. My brother in law then tells them to note the change in address for the beneficiary. Whether they cared to note that in our file is unclear to me at this point because they did not take the letter that noted all this information. They then telll him that

the way they handle this petitions is different than in America. (Ok I dont know what they were trying to imply by that statement!) They said when they have finished processing our petition, they will send me, the USC, packet 3 so I can send it to my husband who now resides in Greece.

My brother in law then takes down their contact information which I am not sure if its the same as on their website but here are the numbers: 7010163 or 776601 and for me to call them today or tomorrow after 3pm their time to make any further inquiries.

I have emailed them for the past 2 weeks now trying to inform them of my husband's new address in Greece but have not gotten any response or anything indicating that they have rec'd those emails!

All in all, I would have to say that my brother in laws experience at the Ghanaian Embassy today lived up to all the hype about Ghana being a not so friendly Embassy! So now I am will just have to try my best and call them to see if I can reach anyone and continue to hope and pray that they will keep their word and send me packet 3....

March 8, 2010 N-400 priority filing date

April 21, 2010-biometrics apppointment

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Liberia
Timeline

What a frustrating situation! You have such a great brother in law to take the time to go check on the paperwork and endure such rudeness. Thumbs up to him. I really do hope they stick to their words and I hope you can get some info out of them soon. Keep your head up, girl! This will all be over soon enough.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

We had to change DHs address when he was at that stage as well. We faxed a letter to them stating his new address.

Remember that the people your BIL gets to talk to are only the guards, not the actual consulate workers.

K-1 (more detail in profile):

05-25-05 - Applied for I-129F

06-07-05 - Approved

12-01-05 - Picked up visa!!

AOS:

12-25-05 - Flight lands at JFK - EAD stamp

05-15-06 - Green card received!! Woo-hoo!!!

05-09-07 - Our first son born!

Removal of Conditions

01-29-08 - Mailed Removal of Conditions Application (overnight)

02-07-08 - Check Cashed

02-08-08 - NOA1

03-12-08 - Biometrics

12-12-08 - Card production ordered! Yay!

12-30-08 - 10 year card received! Yay!

Naturalization

01-12-10 - Mailed application

01-20-10 - NOA

02-16-10 - Biometrics

04-21-10 - Interview

04-21-10 - Oath ceremony - US CITIZEN!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I also had to change Wilmot's address during this stage. When I called the embassy they said he needed to mail them a letter with the address change. We did so and everyone thing has been moving okay since then. Of course this was at a different embassy. I hope you are able to hear something when you talk to them today. I was a nervous wreck, in case they mailed our packet 3 to the wrong address and it would hold up the process even more than it has been because of IMBRA.

Timeline

Thanks everybody for the good advice and well wishes...I called the embassy today but it was closed by the time i got thru since its friday..Go figure...lol oh Well, I will remain optimistic about the Ghana Embassy...On the one hand if they just cause to go thru so much drama our i130 may end be the better, less stress route since they picked Cyprus as the embassy where he will get to do his cr-1 interview and the interaction my husband has had with the cyprus embassy, they have been nothing but nice and accomodating with fast service so we are blessed in that sense for that portion of our visa..I am happy to hear great things about Nigeria..hope they keep up the speedy service!!! :star:

Timeline

Hi there, sorry to hear that you weren't able to get through. Thanks for posting the phone numbers, too.

Question for everyone re address used in Ghana: did you use a PO Box that they can mail packet 3 & 4 or is it a residential address? I used a PO Box, but perhaps if they are sending the packets they won't deliver to a PO Box in Ghana? And maybe it's not secure to have something mailed to a PO Box?

--------------------------

Becoming a U.S. Citizen

2/15/10 Sent N-400 packet via Fedex to Lewisville TX

2/19/10 Received text message and email notification of application received, check cashed

2/27/10 Received biometrics appointment letter

3/19/10 Biometrics appointment

3/25/10 Received email notice that case will be sent for interview scheduling at local office

3/26/10 Received yellow letter asking to being more tax records/info to interview

3/27/10 Received interview letter (dated 3/24/10)

4/28/10 Interview appointment

6/5/10 Received oath letter (dated 6/1/10)

6/29/10 Oath ceremony date

Timeline

Hi again Akatagirl,

Just wanted to ask if your brother in law (or anyone else reading this) felt like the guards at the Accra consulate wait for bribes before letting people in? Bribery is of course a way of life here, so I wonder how much bribing matters with the consulate guards. It is such a mob scene over there on a daily basis: I am already nervous about how it will go for Osman, since he is a very shy and quiet man who will find it difficult to be vocal and aggressive to get through once the time comes. I wonder what it was your brother in law said on the phone that made them change their minds?

Anyway, keep us all posted. I'll br crossing my fingers for you. Also, I know your brother in law is here to help you but if there is any local information you need that I could gather since I'm here in Accra for the time being, let me know.

a&o

--------------------------

Becoming a U.S. Citizen

2/15/10 Sent N-400 packet via Fedex to Lewisville TX

2/19/10 Received text message and email notification of application received, check cashed

2/27/10 Received biometrics appointment letter

3/19/10 Biometrics appointment

3/25/10 Received email notice that case will be sent for interview scheduling at local office

3/26/10 Received yellow letter asking to being more tax records/info to interview

3/27/10 Received interview letter (dated 3/24/10)

4/28/10 Interview appointment

6/5/10 Received oath letter (dated 6/1/10)

6/29/10 Oath ceremony date

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
Thanks everybody for the good advice and well wishes...I called the embassy today but it was closed by the time i got thru since its friday..Go figure...lol oh Well, I will remain optimistic about the Ghana Embassy...On the one hand if they just cause to go thru so much drama our i130 may end be the better, less stress route since they picked Cyprus as the embassy where he will get to do his cr-1 interview and the interaction my husband has had with the cyprus embassy, they have been nothing but nice and accomodating with fast service so we are blessed in that sense for that portion of our visa..I am happy to hear great things about Nigeria..hope they keep up the speedy service!!! :star:

We used a post office box and it went fine.

From I-130 to Visa: Total process took 13 mos exactly

I751 Received at TSC 10 October 2007

Check cashed 02 November 2007 Case transferred to CSC

NOA or Biometrics letter never received

Infopass appointment December 18, 2007. Received stamp in passport and completed Biometrics

I-751 APPROVED 29 February 2008. Green card received 8 March 2008

N-400

Mailed December 12, 2008

NOA received December 23, 2008

Biometrics completed January 21, 2009[

CITZENSHIP GRANTED MAY 15, 2009

Timeline
Hi again Akatagirl,

Just wanted to ask if your brother in law (or anyone else reading this) felt like the guards at the Accra consulate wait for bribes before letting people in? Bribery is of course a way of life here, so I wonder how much bribing matters with the consulate guards. It is such a mob scene over there on a daily basis: I am already nervous about how it will go for Osman, since he is a very shy and quiet man who will find it difficult to be vocal and aggressive to get through once the time comes. I wonder what it was your brother in law said on the phone that made them change their minds?

a&o

I wouldn't try bribing one of the consulate guards. There is too much at stake for that. What I did consider, is coming down the line eating donuts or something, and offering him one of my donuts. Therefore it is being friendly instead of bribing. Anyway, I didn't end up doing that. It did help to joke around with him though. There was one really nice guard and one not so nice guard. I don't think he'll have any problems being quiet. They will probably see him as being more respectful. All he needs is the proper paperwork and they will let him in without any problem. Re is an extremely loud person, but when it comes to situations like the consulate, he becomes very quiet in order to show respect. They were very nice to him. I think though, for him he was lucky to be in the same tribe as one of the guards. There aren't many from Re's tribe who go through that consulate, so the guard was as helpful as he could be.

Good luck!

K-1 (more detail in profile):

05-25-05 - Applied for I-129F

06-07-05 - Approved

12-01-05 - Picked up visa!!

AOS:

12-25-05 - Flight lands at JFK - EAD stamp

05-15-06 - Green card received!! Woo-hoo!!!

05-09-07 - Our first son born!

Removal of Conditions

01-29-08 - Mailed Removal of Conditions Application (overnight)

02-07-08 - Check Cashed

02-08-08 - NOA1

03-12-08 - Biometrics

12-12-08 - Card production ordered! Yay!

12-30-08 - 10 year card received! Yay!

Naturalization

01-12-10 - Mailed application

01-20-10 - NOA

02-16-10 - Biometrics

04-21-10 - Interview

04-21-10 - Oath ceremony - US CITIZEN!!!

Timeline

A&O and others who went thru medicals in Ghana,

Do they have a choice in using Trinity or Akai or did they have to go to both to get all the injections and tests needed? I am little confused on whether or not my husband needs to go for both!

A&0, thank u very much for offering to help me out while you are in Ghana! I will probably take you up on that offer! My brother in law is a great resource but he is not as familiar with the process since he has never been through it like those of on here!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.