Donal78

Dual irish/american citizenship

13 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hi,

Dont know if this is the right forum to put this in.

Im irish and my fiance is american.We are moving to the states in 2 weeks and getting married in 2 months from tomorrow. Longer term down the road when we have kids and such i suppose i will have to make a decision to denounce my irish heritage which i would hate to do. I would be happy to have irish/american dual citizenship as i have strong ties with both countries. I know when we have kids i want to them to have a strong irish background and such.

The reason why i ask is i have heard that some people have been told by the immigration people to make a choice!!

Currently the US goverment frown apon dual citizenship but there is no law against it either. Is there anyone on here that has dual citizenship?

I-751 - Removal of conditions

10-20-2008 - Sent package via usps - overnite mail

10-22-2008 - Package received and signed.

10-28-2008 - Cheque cashed

12-02-2008 - Biometrics in Boston

10-03-2009 - Transferred to CSV

10-04-2009 - 10 year GC on the way

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi,

Dont know if this is the right forum to put this in.

Im irish and my fiance is american.We are moving to the states in 2 weeks and getting married in 2 months from tomorrow. Longer term down the road when we have kids and such i suppose i will have to make a decision to denounce my irish heritage which i would hate to do. I would be happy to have irish/american dual citizenship as i have strong ties with both countries. I know when we have kids i want to them to have a strong irish background and such.

The reason why i ask is i have heard that some people have been told by the immigration people to make a choice!!

Currently the US goverment frown apon dual citizenship but there is no law against it either. Is there anyone on here that has dual citizenship?

Lot's of people have dual citizenship, myself as one of them. The US has no control over who has Irish Citizenship. That determination is made by Ireland. Ireland allows their citizens to naturalize in other countries without recognizing that act as intent to give up their Irish Citizenship.

However, while in the US, the US does not recognize the other citizenship, but they do not make you formally give it up in order to be naturalized. Meaning that when you enter the US, you must do so on a US Passport.

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

...Longer term down the road when we have kids and such i suppose i will have to make a decision to denounce my irish heritage which i would hate to do. I would be happy to have irish/american dual citizenship as i have strong ties with both countries. I know when we have kids i want to them to have a strong irish background and such.

The oath of U.S. citizenship does contain a clause related to the relinquishment of foreign citizenship, but this is presently treated as a formality only. You are not required to give up your Irish citizenship or passport.

Read the dual citizenship FAQs in the link Meauxna posted. They are amazingly informative and well-researched. Barring any extraordinary circumstances, you can hold American and Irish citizenship with no problem.

The FAQs:

http://www.richw.org/dualcit/

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

all the mud in this town, all the dirt in this world

none of it sticks on you, you shake it off

'cause you're better than that, and you don't need it

there's nothing wrong with you

--Neil Finn

On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Timeline

...Longer term down the road when we have kids and such i suppose i will have to make a decision to denounce my irish heritage which i would hate to do. I would be happy to have irish/american dual citizenship as i have strong ties with both countries. I know when we have kids i want to them to have a strong irish background and such.

The oath of U.S. citizenship does contain a clause related to the relinquishment of foreign citizenship, but this is presently treated as a formality only. You are not required to give up your Irish citizenship or passport.

Read the dual citizenship FAQs in the link Meauxna posted. They are amazingly informative and well-researched. Barring any extraordinary circumstances, you can hold American and Irish citizenship with no problem.

The FAQs:

http://www.richw.org/dualcit/

It's not a mere formality. In the US Government's eyes, you have relinquished your claim and the government will not recognize such a claim in the US where the US Government has jurisdiction. So if you naturalize, the US Government will only recognize you as a US Citizen. You would not be able to get Irish consular assistance.

However, the US has no control over how another contry recognizes its own citizens. The US Government cannot determine if you are considered a citizen by Ireland as well. Only Ireland can determine who it's citizens are. So if Ireland does not consider the taking of another citizenship as intent to give up Irish Citizenship, then you are still an Irish Citizen even though you have US Citizenship as well.

Just realize that if you naturalize, when you enter the US, you must enter the US on your US Passport and identify yourself as a US Citizen only.

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

It's not a mere formality. In the US Government's eyes, you have relinquished your claim and the government will not recognize such a claim in the US where the US Government has jurisdiction. So if you naturalize, the US Government will only recognize you as a US Citizen. You would not be able to get Irish consular assistance.

However, the US has no control over how another contry recognizes its own citizens. The US Government cannot determine if you are considered a citizen by Ireland as well. Only Ireland can determine who it's citizens are. So if Ireland does not consider the taking of another citizenship as intent to give up Irish Citizenship, then you are still an Irish Citizen even though you have US Citizenship as well.

Just realize that if you naturalize, when you enter the US, you must enter the US on your US Passport and identify yourself as a US Citizen only.

Yes, that's true. I meant that it is a formality in the sense that the OP is not required to formally relinquish his Irish citizenship.

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

all the mud in this town, all the dirt in this world

none of it sticks on you, you shake it off

'cause you're better than that, and you don't need it

there's nothing wrong with you

--Neil Finn

On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

I too am an Irish citizen (still waiting AOS approval 2+ years in Orlando, FL), my wife is American. Here's a question, we just had our first baby 2 weeks ago. Now naturally she is a US citizen immediately before me. She is also according to Irish law an Irish citizen automatically by descent because at least one of her parents was asaborn in Ireland, that being me, despite the fact that she was born outside of Ireland itself.

So should I send off for her Irish passport A.S.A.P, so we can travel back to Ireland on vacation, I currently have a I131 travel document or should I send off for her American passport A.S.A.P. She is technically a dual citizen and wouldn't her American birth certificate be enough to prove her right to return home to America.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline
I too am an Irish citizen (still waiting AOS approval 2+ years in Orlando, FL), my wife is American. Here's a question, we just had our first baby 2 weeks ago. Now naturally she is a US citizen immediately before me. She is also according to Irish law an Irish citizen automatically by descent because at least one of her parents was asaborn in Ireland, that being me, despite the fact that she was born outside of Ireland itself.

So should I send off for her Irish passport A.S.A.P, so we can travel back to Ireland on vacation, I currently have a I131 travel document or should I send off for her American passport A.S.A.P. She is technically a dual citizen and wouldn't her American birth certificate be enough to prove her right to return home to America.

I would call the irish embassy in washington or the irish immigration center in boston just to make sure what documents you need but i cannot see no reason why you cannot apply for a irish passport for your child. As you said your child is now an irish/american citizen by law.

And big congrats on your first child. Where in ireland are you from then?

I-751 - Removal of conditions

10-20-2008 - Sent package via usps - overnite mail

10-22-2008 - Package received and signed.

10-28-2008 - Cheque cashed

12-02-2008 - Biometrics in Boston

10-03-2009 - Transferred to CSV

10-04-2009 - 10 year GC on the way

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
She is technically a dual citizen and wouldn't her American birth certificate be enough to prove her right to return home to America.

The child must travel on a US passport; her birth certificate is not sufficient.

There's an extensive, understandable (!) FAQ for children's issues at www.travel.state.gov

May as well send off for her Irish passport (via the Irish Consulate in the US) while you're at it. I don't know Ireland's rules, but she may be required to enter Ireland as Irish. That will certainly be the rule for herWRT the US: she must use the US passport to enter the US every time.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline

She is technically a dual citizen and wouldn't her American birth certificate be enough to prove her right to return home to America.

The child must travel on a US passport; her birth certificate is not sufficient.

There's an extensive, understandable (!) FAQ for children's issues at www.travel.state.gov

May as well send off for her Irish passport (via the Irish Consulate in the US) while you're at it. I don't know Ireland's rules, but she may be required to enter Ireland as Irish. That will certainly be the rule for herWRT the US: she must use the US passport to enter the US every time.

Before you take your trip, I wuld definitely register the child birth with your nearest Irish Consulate and apply for a passport at the same time. You also need to apply for a US Passport as well, as the child must enter the US with a US Passport.

The only locations where entering the US with a BC is ok is if one is entering from Canada or Mexico. A passport will be required from those locale if entering by air as of December 31.

Information on applying for an Irish Passport can be found here

http://www.irelandemb.org/apply.html

Edited by zyggy

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Thanks guys, I was thinking about getting the US one at least because that is where we intend to reside for the time being. Me being Irish and all, it just feels like I should be getting her Irish passport for her at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...

I would definitely get the US passport for the baby to travel outside the states. She can travel to Ireland with the US Passport. Once she is registered in Ireland I think you might (not positive) have to travel on the Irish Passport going into the country. All my aunts and uncles are technically Irish by their parent being an Irish born citizen, but that doesn't require them to get an Irish Passport. But I would go ahead and apply for both of them at the same time. Best to get the dual citzenship before they change their laws, which could happen, not likely right now.

Cheers

Kevin

26/02/2005 Married in London to South African with UK Residency

28/02/2005 Sent off I-130 to London Consular

08/03/2005 Charge posted on Credit Card

14/03/2005 Sent off DS-230

15/03/2005 NOA of I-130

24/03/2005 Received Packet 3

18/04/2005 Sent in Form 169 (notice of readiness)

10/05/2005 Received Packet 4

06/06/2005 Medical at 10:00am in London

15/06/2005 Interview at 9:00 am (108 Days) -Approved

16/06/2005 Noon - Recieved Papers and Visa from Embassy

21/08/2005 Wife entered US on green Card

Conditions Removed +/- 1 year

??/06/2007 Submitted I-751

??/07/2007 Biometrics

02/04/2008 Application transferred from TSC to VSC

01/July/2008 Card Production ordered

N-400 process-3 months & 8 days

16/June/2008 Sent in packet of N-400

18/June/2008 NOA Priority date

20/June/2008 Check cashed

26/June/2008 NOA recieved

12/July/2008 Biometrics

08/Sept/2008 Interview- passed

24/Sept/2008 Oath (Cancelled due to Hurricane Ike)

29/Oct/2008 Oath & Passport Application (not expedited)

07/Nov/2008 Passport Received - Done with the Process

The baby will require a US passport to re-enter the country, therefore it is a given that you must get her a US passport. The only question left open is whether or or not you also get her an Irish passport.

For yourself, note that you cannot apply for US citizenship until 3 years after your green card is granted.

G

I-129F Filing

G (USA)

L (Scotland)

2005-02-05 Sent to TSC

2005-03-02 NOA2 rcvd

2005-04-27 Medical - 3:40 pm in Edinburgh

2005-05-19 Interview - approved!!

2005-06-12 G & L fly to Florida

2005-08-20 Wedding day!!

2005-09-15 Sent AOS docs

2005-09-23 NOA1 rcvd for 485, 765, and 131

2005-11-28 AP rcvd

2006-01-03 EAD rcvd

2006-03-08 AOS interview - Success - pending FBI name check!!

2006-04-05 Rcvd the 'Welcome To America' email. Name check is done!!

2006-04-17 Green Card Received!!

2008-02-05 Sent I-751 to remove conditions

2008-02-11 I-751 received in Texas

2008-02-25 Check finally cashed!!

2008-03-19 Biometrics completed in West Palm Beach

2008-12-23 Rcvd notification of GC production

2008-12-30 Rcvd notification of confirmation letter going in the mail.

"Just as our DNA is unique, so too is our visa processing experience."

G 3/31/05

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.