pete_sf

B2 visa application just submitted, chances of approval slim?

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

My wife has gone ballistic, until now we have not heard from them and it's so unlikely for my MIL not to update us at all not unless she's still inside the consular office.

I have left numerous messages at the hotel room they're staying at and they have not been back since they left for the interview we were told.. I think my wife is about to lose her head worrying about their welfare..

Anybody here knows the phone number to the US embassy Manila that's a direct line to know the status of a non-immigrant visa case?

If my MIL went shopping after the interview without updating us I'll be furious!!!!!!!! My wife's upset and it's making me upset as well...

Does it really take this long to get a B2 visa interview in the US Embassy Manila?! I wouldn't be surprised though.

There.

Rant over.

Edited by pete_sf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The interview is very quick, the wait usually is not.

You seem to have assumed she would be interviewed at 6.30, which would be very unlikely.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

You seem to have assumed she would be interviewed at 6.30, which would be very unlikely.

She was indeed interviewed that early, and exactly on her appointed time. We were able to talk to her at 1 AM (she took it bad and had to rest for a while ) and it was bad news. She was denied. :(

She said she was asked 5 simple questions, the officer did not bother asking for ANY of her paper evidence of ties at all, which is kinda upsetting to us because we feel that the judgment was made even before she sat down for the interview.

It says on her denial letter that she did not satisfy one category under INA.. not sure which one.

My wife will try to speak to the head of the NIV division to see what specific category was that and will try to appeal her case to be reconsidered. She feels that the officer overlooked something and is undertrained.

As for me, well, I'm devastated as hell as it has been almost 4 years since we see her. We miss her terribly and we can't simply fly there and go.. my wife has been sick too so travel is not an option as of this time.

Not sure where we go from here, I'm sure this is going to be a very long shot but my wife insists that she just HAS to KNOW the entire reason, and needs to talk to someone in there and get to the bottom of the denial so

her mother can considerably change/provide the specific requirement to overcome the presumptions of the intent to immigrate.

Thanks for your answers... this is a sad turn out for our family....

Edited by pete_sf

Timeline

She was indeed interviewed that early, and exactly on her appointed time. We were able to talk to her at 1 AM (she took it bad and had to rest for a while ) and it was bad news. She was denied. :(

She said she was asked 5 simple general questions, the officer did not bother to ask to see ANY of her paper evidence of ties at all, which is kinda upsetting to us because we feel that the judgment was made from the get go. DS-160 is pretty much straightforward and my MIL's answers to the questions were nothing but concise and nothing too revealing or anything like that (not that she has anything to reveal). They're pretty much well to do in the Philippines, so assets were not an issue, she also has family to go back to and social and economic obligations. Not sure why these were not considered...

It says on her denial letter that she did not satisfy one category under INA.. not sure which one.

My wife will try to speak to the head of the NIV division to see what specific category was that and will try to appeal her case to be reconsidered. She feels that the officer overlooked something and is undertrained.

As for me, well, I'm devastated as hell as it has been almost 4 years since we last saw her. We're even moving to accommodate her and more living space for us. We miss her terribly and we can't simply fly there and go.. my wife has been sick too so travel for us is not an option as of this time.

Not sure where we go from here, I'm sure this is going to be a very long shot but my wife insists that she just HAS to KNOW the entire reason, and needs to talk to someone in there and get to the bottom of the denial so

her mother can considerably change/provide the specific requirement to overcome the presumptions of the intent to immigrate the next time around, otherwise re-application is a moot point according to my wife.

Thanks for your answers... this is a sad turn out for our family....

Edited by pete_sf

Timeline

Without checking it was probably 221g.

It was always a long shot, she tried but failed. It is discretionary they chose not to exercise that discretion.

We're even moving to accommodate her and more living space for us.

Somewhat odd to accommodate a visitor.

Best bet would be to wait for your wife to feel better and then you can visit the whole family.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Country: Colombia
Timeline

I am sorry that her visa wasn't approved, but I wouldn't be devasted for that. You can give some time and give a new try. Most of these visas are luck, and approval depends on the mood and the impression the interviewing officer gets from you.

As she is 65, I would recommend giving sometime. More than prepare additional paperwork, just prepare herself for the interview. (remmember they analyze the person.(she needs to be extremely confident, and give short answers). when she is ready then re-apply. If possible, somebody who speaks english go with her (Seniors can bring one person). with the information that you have and having a good interview you will get approved.

In my case, I help My father 70 YO, who doesn't have properties deeds or anything else.he was denied twice in my Country. I wrote a letter that my father signed explaining why he wasn't at risk of remaining in US (ties to Home country. I went with him to the interview. The officer didn't look any papers, only read the letter that I put on the top, and asked few questions through me. eventhough he was denied twice before, the officer approved him in a few seconds saying that he understand the case.

Timeline

She can not appeal, she can re apply.

Timeline

I am sorry that her visa wasn't approved, but I wouldn't be devasted for that. You can give some time and give a new try. Most of these visas are luck, and approval depends on the mood and the impression the interviewing officer gets from you.

As she is 65, I would recommend giving sometime. More than prepare additional paperwork, just prepare herself for the interview. (remmember they analyze the person.(she needs to be extremely confident, and give short answers). when she is ready then re-apply. If possible, somebody who speaks english go with her (Seniors can bring one person). with the information that you have and having a good interview you will get approved.

In my case, I help My father 70 YO, who doesn't have properties deeds or anything else.he was denied twice in my Country. I wrote a letter that my father signed explaining why he wasn't at risk of remaining in US (ties to Home country. I went with him to the interview. The officer didn't look any papers, only read the letter that I put on the top, and asked few questions through me. eventhough he was denied twice before, the officer approved him in a few seconds saying that he understand the case.

I apologize if I'm rambling in my posts, just sort of disoriented with what happened..

Thank you. I appreciate the input. She basically just answered the questions based on facts, short, but full sentences in English, but the officer did not ask anything worth discussing in detail,. One question caught my MIL's attention though, it was when the officer asked how many kids do you have, then added "Discuss".. So my MIL thought that doesn't make sense. LOL. Had the officer asked, what do they do for a living then my MIL would discuss.. so she just simply answered "I have been blessed with two wonderful daughters." And the officer apparently does not speak English very well, a Chinese/Vietnamese officer (no offense meant). MIL speaks English quite well for a Philippino so we had her interview done in English and she actually thought it'll be good for her too. We even helped her practice her answers to possible tourist visa questions and did a mock interview a few times, until she felt confident in expressing her answers in English and with candor. My mother is actually looking forward to meeting my MIL in person and my mother cannot travel anymore due to grave illness.. so it brought us all down.. can't be helped. Quite unusual for me too that I cried when my MIL told me the news. We're just heart broken right now. Thanks for sharing your experience. My wife already contacted a liaison officer working for the senator just to see if she can help us get specific details/better explanation of the denial so we can re-assess and re-apply and address whatever was the reason that caused the denial in the first place. That's all we want to know. I wish I can leave work right now and go with her to her future interviews. Or better yet my wife go with her when she gets better, she's good at challenging people's decisions and training. My MIL is still sad and thinks she can't go through another rejection soon it'll be more wait for us to see her and be with her. :( by the way, MIL gave the officer the letter I wrote, emphasizing our desire to spend time with her, mentioning her strong ties to go back to her home country, why she can't be a risk too but the officer did not even bother to read, giving my MIL the impression that the officer was just in a bad mood and was determined to deny outright.

@ Boiler, As for the moving, well our apartment is big enough for 2-3 people, but we wanted more space for us and a nice neighborhood where my MIL can enjoy the scenic views and enjoy her time here better and we can have my parents visit and stay with us (they live in another state). We felt that in our current place, she'll have a hard time relaxing due to the constant partying of teens next door.

Edited by pete_sf

Timeline

She can not appeal, she can re apply.

Yes, but can the department of state influence the foreign consular post to reopen and look over what caused the denial, without having to file another B2 if there is really no reason to deny in the first place, just a matter of miscommunication between the officer and the applicant?

Timeline

Yes, but can the department of state influence the foreign consular post to reopen and look over what caused the denial, without having to file another B2 if there is really no reason to deny in the first place, just a matter of miscommunication between the officer and the applicant?

My guess is that the majority of applicants that day were refused visa's.

Her main problem is that she is in the Philippines, there is a very high fraud rate and the Consulate will only approve them when you have a very good case.

She has no right to a visa and there is nothing your wife could say or would be allowed to say.

I personally think that most cases are decided before you get to the window, I can not prove it.

If you want to see the paperwork, get it scanned and sent over, I can not see it making any difference.

Timeline

ok not sure what happened to my post,

anyway this is pete's wife. thank you all for the input.

and i read 211 g, 214 b. thanks boiler. visa refusal does not mean inadmissibility. my mom simply did not satisfy the officers presumption of intent to immigrate.

next step, yes, re-apply not reappeal. not sure DH is understanding it fully. decision was final and exclusive even if we get the DOS to look over my mom's case. i'll still try to get more info regarding the visa refusal. simply because i just want to know if something good can come out of it. lol

anyway, DH thinks officer was biased, i think the officer did her job as she's supposed to.

i think my mom did not overcome the presumptions based on the interview alone, we'll put emphasis on how she can express herself intentions better when answering , maybe we'll have the interview in tagalog next time. we focused too much on the evidence, it's interesting for me to know that there is more to this tourist visa applications than meets the eye.

hopefully someone benefits from our experience.

thank you, all.

Timeline

My guess is that the majority of applicants that day were refused visa's.

you guessed right! out of the many B2 applicants that day, not a single approval according to my mom. thanks, Boiler!

Her main problem is that she is in the Philippines, there is a very high fraud rate and the Consulate will only approve them when you have a very good case.

She has no right to a visa and there is nothing your wife could say or would be allowed to say.

I personally think that most cases are decided before you get to the window, I can not prove it.

If you want to see the paperwork, get it scanned and sent over, I can not see it making any difference.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.