one nation

i-751 visit at home by uscis

31 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

While I certainly can't speak for USCIS nor predict what decision they will make, it does seem logical to me that if they find good evidence that the two of you are indeed living a life together in the same house as husband and wife, that you have your belongings mixed in together, and you have provided them with the necessary documentation that shows how you have mingled together your lives financially and socially, that they will approve the removal of conditions and send you a 10 year green card. It seems like after 2 interviews and a home visit they have not been able to find evidence to the contrary even though they seem to have tried. I won't be surprised to hear you have received your 10 year card in the near future. That is what I think, anyways. I hope I'm right. Good luck :) .

hi kathryn again!!!i know maybe sounds stupid but how long sinc they came they will notify me over the mail what do u think how long is taking!!!thans

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

hi kathryn again!!!i know maybe sounds stupid but how long sinc they came they will notify me over the mail what do u think how long is taking!!!thans

Sorry, one nation. I have no idea. If you don't hear anything within 30 days after the visit, then contact your Congressman or Senator's office and ask them to investigate on your behalf. You have been more than patient.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

• 2 weeks later...

hi kathryn !!!no news from uscis yet but i have i-551 stamp in my pass but my pass gonna expire february 10 and the stem is good thru 15 of january!!!do u think if i go home and i get new passport i can come back and entry the country with no problems!!!!i have to get new intern.pass over there at my home because they r biometric and i have to be there for fingerprint and picture!!! give me an opinion please !!!thank u

Timeline

While you should be able to do that as long as you return to the US before the I-551 stamp expires, I would be hesitant to leave the US at this time if I were in your shoes.

If you do decide to go, you would need to keep the now expired passport and use it together with your new passport to re-enter the US. You would absolutely have to be back in the US before the I-551 stamp expires and that isn't leaving much time. How long do passports in your country normally take to process? If you miss the I-551 deadline you would be stranded outside the US and it would possibly be difficult to get permission to return. You can't re-enter the US after the stamp expires, and I would feel uncomfortable travelling with it close to its expiry date as well just to avoid potential problems with re-entry.

As you need to have the I-551 stamp extended, another alternative would be to have USCIS extend the I-551 stamp in your passport beyond the validity of this passport before you leave the US. You would do this by making an infopass appointment, taking 2 passport type photographs to the InfoPass appointment, then they would make up an I-94 document with the I-551 stamp on it and staple it into your expired/expiring passport. This would allow you more time than having to get everything done by January 15, but again, if you chose to renew your passport you would have to get the expired one back and use it plus your new passport to re-enter the US.

You could also chose to let the passport expire but you would still need to renew the I-551 stamp as proof of your legal status so you would still have to follow the process with the I-94 stapled into the expired passport.

Is there no way you can get a new passport done from the US, perhaps through the services of your own country's Consulate? Given that you are still waiting to hear a decision I don't think it is a good idea for you to travel outside of the US in case a decision to deny is made while you are outside of the US. You would have no opportunity to appeal such a decision, while if you were in the US and that happened, you would have some options available to you.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

While you should be able to do that as long as you return to the US before the I-551 stamp expires, I would be hesitant to leave the US at this time if I were in your shoes.

If you do decide to go, you would need to keep the now expired passport and use it together with your new passport to re-enter the US. You would absolutely have to be back in the US before the I-551 stamp expires and that isn't leaving much time. How long do passports in your country normally take to process? If you miss the I-551 deadline you would be stranded outside the US and it would possibly be difficult to get permission to return. You can't re-enter the US after the stamp expires, and I would feel uncomfortable travelling with it close to its expiry date as well just to avoid potential problems with re-entry.

As you need to have the I-551 stamp extended, another alternative would be to have USCIS extend the I-551 stamp in your passport beyond the validity of this passport before you leave the US. You would do this by making an infopass appointment, taking 2 passport type photographs to the InfoPass appointment, then they would make up an I-94 document with the I-551 stamp on it and staple it into your expired/expiring passport. This would allow you more time than having to get everything done by January 15, but again, if you chose to renew your passport you would have to get the expired one back and use it plus your new passport to re-enter the US.

You could also chose to let the passport expire but you would still need to renew the I-551 stamp as proof of your legal status so you would still have to follow the process with the I-94 stapled into the expired passport.

Is there no way you can get a new passport done from the US, perhaps through the services of your own country's Consulate? Given that you are still waiting to hear a decision I don't think it is a good idea for you to travel outside of the US in case a decision to deny is made while you are outside of the US. You would have no opportunity to appeal such a decision, while if you were in the US and that happened, you would have some options available to you.

thanks for the advise and i was tiking same as you !!!and i dont want to risk!!!so my case is at adjudication office now and what u think how long is taking to make an decision!!!

any answer on the last question kathryn!!!what do u think how long FTER THE VISIT GONNA TAKE USCIS TO TAKE A DECISION!!!what is your guts telling you !!thanks

Timeline

I honestly don't know why they are taking so long. My gut tells me that you should be approved - and should have been approved long before this. Unfortunately, my gut doesn't have a vote. :( . I think I would really be talking to my elected representative again to see if they can find out anything further, especially if you last contacted them several months ago.

I honestly don't know why they are taking so long. My gut tells me that you should be approved - and should have been approved long before this. Unfortunately, my gut doesn't have a vote. :( . I think I would really be talking to my elected representative again to see if they can find out anything further, especially if you last contacted them several months ago.

hi kathryn merry christmas!!!how r you !!!this is what im gonna do !!!i set up an infopass for wednesday and im gonna take 2 pictures with me as you advise me previosly and im gonna go and ask for this i-90 !!!i got a plane ticket for 13 of january and im comming back 21 of january !!!my mom is a judge back in my contry and there is a speed up process to get a biometric passport and it will be done for 4 days!!!so do you think if they give me this i-90 beyond the expiration of my old passport and igf i have this i-90 ,my old pass and my brand new a will not have problems comming back here home with no problems!!!im gonna be gone just for 11 days!!!lets say this way they give me another stemp on that form with my picture on, and is good thru march what u think am i gonaa have problems re renteribg usa!!!thanks so much for your help that you are giving to me !!!please answer me before wednesday !!!thats the day when i havve the infopass appointment !!!

Timeline

hi kathryn merry christmas!!!how r you !!!this is what im gonna do !!!i set up an infopass for wednesday and im gonna take 2 pictures with me as you advise me previosly and im gonna go and ask for this i-90 !!!i got a plane ticket for 13 of january and im comming back 21 of january !!!my mom is a judge back in my contry and there is a speed up process to get a biometric passport and it will be done for 4 days!!!so do you think if they give me this i-90 beyond the expiration of my old passport and igf i have this i-90 ,my old pass and my brand new a will not have problems comming back here home with no problems!!!im gonna be gone just for 11 days!!!lets say this way they give me another stemp on that form with my picture on, and is good thru march what u think am i gonaa have problems re renteribg usa!!!thanks so much for your help that you are giving to me !!!please answer me before wednesday !!!thats the day when i havve the infopass appointment !!!

Merry Christmas to you too:-).

It is the I-94 form you want to ask about - not the I-90, by the way. Explain that your passport is expiring as is your proof of your legal status in the US while waiting for your I-751 to be approved. Explain that you need to renew your passport back home and will be away xxx date to xxx date. Say you have brought 2 photographs they can use if they need to put an I-94 in your expiring passport to prove your PR status. They may just put another I-551 stamp in even though the passport is expiring and that would be the easiest - but you are prepared for the other option as well so there shouldn't be a problem. Explain that you will get your expired passport back when you get your new one and will be able to carry both of them with you when you return to the US - the cancelled one with the I-551 proof and the new one required for international travel.

As long as you have a valid PR status proven by either the I-551 stamp in the expired passport or the I-551 stamp on an I-94 card placed in an expired/expiring passport and you re-enter the US with a valid passport and the valid I-551 stamp, even if it is with them in two separate passports, and there has not been denial of your I-751 application while you have been out of the country, you shouldn't have problems. You can explain, if asked upon re-entry, that you needed to go to your home country to renew the passport and your proof of PR status is in the expired passport so you have both of them with you. You can also explain that you are waiting for USCIS to finish adjudicating your permanent PR card - if asked.

Good luck at the infopass appointment I don't see why you should have any problems getting this done and hope you meet with a friendly immigration officer. Remember to bring your proof of travel arrangements with you to the appointment as well as the 2 photographs.

It is the I-94 form you want to ask about - not the I-90, by the way. Explain that your passport is expiring as is your proof of your legal status in the US while waiting for your I-751 to be approved. Explain that you need to renew your passport back home and will be away xxx date to xxx date. Say you have brought 2 photographs they can use if they need to put an I-94 in your expiring passport to prove your PR status. They may just put another I-551 stamp in even though the passport is expiring and that would be the easiest - but you are prepared for the other option as well so there shouldn't be a problem. Explain that you will get your expired passport back when you get your new one and will be able to carry both of them with you when you return to the US - the cancelled one with the I-551 proof and the new one required for international travel.

As long as you have a valid PR status proven by either the I-551 stamp in the expired passport or the I-551 stamp on an I-94 card placed in an expired/expiring passport and you re-enter the US with a valid passport and the valid I-551 stamp, even if it is with them in two separate passports, and there has not been denial of your I-751 application while you have been out of the country, you shouldn't have problems. You can explain, if asked upon re-entry, that you needed to go to your home country to renew the passport and your proof of PR status is in the expired passport so you have both of them with you. You can also explain that you are waiting for USCIS to finish adjudicating your permanent PR card - if asked.

Good luck at the infopass appointment I don't see why you should have any problems getting this done and hope you meet with a friendly immigration officer. Remember to bring your proof of travel arrangements with you to the appointment as well as the 2 photographs.

thanks for the answer kathryn!!so if let say im athome and a letter come to my wife saying that my case is denied what will happend at the airport!!!how they not gonna let mi come in when my wife is waiting for me !!!thats very stupid

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I didn't know they can show up at somebody's door just like that. I might not respond to such an invasion of my privacy in a welcoming way. Wish I could add something to your knowledge. Good Luck.

IR5 For Parent

I didn't know they can show up at somebody's door just like that. I might not respond to such an invasion of my privacy in a welcoming way. Wish I could add something to your knowledge. Good Luck.

looks like we ll be there expiriemental mice and they can do whatever they want!!!no matter that i pay more taxes than all of my us citizens co workers because they r always exemt or disabled or something!!!system milking loyal citizens!!!thanks for the support

hi kathryn !!i went to the infopass today and i got the i-94 so am i safe to travel now!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.