riderreader

AP in married name, passport in maiden name

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hey there,

I am sure there is already an answer to my question out there, but I could not find it when looking through all the threads. I just received my AP today, which is in my married name, and am planning to travel home to Germany for Christmas, since my mom is turning 60 and my sister just had her first baby. My passport however, is still in my maiden name and associated with my former address in Switzerland, where I last lived before coming to the States. I have tried to get through to the German consulate in Houston to get information on how to do the travel but never got anyone on the phone there.

I am trying to figure out how this will work on the border. I guess I will have to book my tickets in my maiden name to match the passport, but how will the different names on the passport and AP affect my re-entry into the US? I am always carrying a copy of our marriage license and now also have my EAD to identify myself with (still trying to get a Texas license) but not sure if that is enough for proof that the girl with the maiden name and a Swiss address in a German passport is the same with the married name on the AP and living in Texas.

Can anybody help me?

THANKS!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hey there,

I am sure there is already an answer to my question out there, but I could not find it when looking through all the threads. I just received my AP today, which is in my married name, and am planning to travel home to Germany for Christmas, since my mom is turning 60 and my sister just had her first baby. My passport however, is still in my maiden name and associated with my former address in Switzerland, where I last lived before coming to the States. I have tried to get through to the German consulate in Houston to get information on how to do the travel but never got anyone on the phone there.

I am trying to figure out how this will work on the border. I guess I will have to book my tickets in my maiden name to match the passport, but how will the different names on the passport and AP affect my re-entry into the US? I am always carrying a copy of our marriage license and now also have my EAD to identify myself with (still trying to get a Texas license) but not sure if that is enough for proof that the girl with the maiden name and a Swiss address in a German passport is the same with the married name on the AP and living in Texas.

Can anybody help me?

THANKS!

What you said is right just carry your marriage certificate with you. I have been told because we still have our passports in our maiden names and AP and SSN in married name we need to carry marriage certificate for ID, it should be fine so you can come back to the US.

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Thanks Barbara! I hoped that that was right but was not sure. Still have to get my SSN changed to my married name, but that should not be a problem, right?

No not at all just take your marriage cert to SS office and get your name changed over it's all good.

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.