Henykat

Sending documents from Russia Pony Express

21 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My wife tried to send me certified copies for her DS-230 package today via Pony Express. They would not send them, citing customs regulations of Russia that do not allow identification documents to be shipped abroad. Anyone have this issue before?

Timeline

My wife tried to send me certified copies for her DS-230 package today via Pony Express. They would not send them, citing customs regulations of Russia that do not allow identification documents to be shipped abroad. Anyone have this issue before?

Try DHL shipping. I think most people have used them without trouble.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Yes. We just used FedEx and only stated documents. There is no reason why you need certified copies, only the Embassy.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

Yes. We just used FedEx and only stated documents. There is no reason why you need certified copies, only the Embassy.

Sorry, still confused. NVC requires originals or certified copies. Neither can be sent by any shipper in Russia because of Russian law. What exactly did you send via FedEx?

Specifically they will not send any birth certificate or certified copy of it.

Edited by Henykat

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Sorry, still confused. NVC requires originals or certified copies. Neither can be sent by any shipper in Russia because of Russian law. What exactly did you send via FedEx?

Specifically they will not send any birth certificate or certified copy of it.

Sri, missed the CR-1 part. Personally I'd send FedEx and just don't state the obvious.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

What makes you say "any shipper?" Have you checked? I doubt the US state department would require documents that can't be sent from Russia. Pony Express is mostly used for shipping documents within Russia such as a Russian applying for a tourist visa. I don't think I've heard of anyone using them for international shipping.

But, I'm no expert by any means.

Timeline

What makes you say "any shipper?" Have you checked? I doubt the US state department would require documents that can't be sent from Russia. Pony Express is mostly used for shipping documents within Russia such as a Russian applying for a tourist visa. I don't think I've heard of anyone using them for international shipping.

But, I'm no expert by any means.

This is from DHL, obviously her translator didn't get it all right but the gist is still there:

Hello, Ekaterina.

Documents proving the identity: passports of citizens of River Ф, загран. Passports of citizens of River Ф, passports of foreign citizens, identity cards, identification cards of the officer, the passport of the seaman, the birth certificate, the work record card, residence permit; are forbidden to export for territory of Russia customs of the Russian Federation. It is impossible to send originals not through us, through any other post/express company.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Put them in a separate envelope and stick that envelope in a fedex envelope and have her overnight it. There's no reason for the fedex people know exactly what the documents are.

And visaveteran, Russia makes up laws all the time that may conflict with what the consulate/embassies want.

Первый блин комом.

Timeline

Put them in a separate envelope and stick that envelope in a fedex envelope and have her overnight it. There's no reason for the fedex people know exactly what the documents are.

And visaveteran, Russia makes up laws all the time that may conflict with what the consulate/embassies want.

You've personally had this done? Seems like practical advice, but I don't want to play the guinea pig with our visa process.

Timeline

You've personally had this done? Seems like practical advice, but I don't want to play the guinea pig with our visa process.

I've done it the other way. But the general rule is that they don't look at overnight fedex stuff if the value written is less than someting you'd have to pay customs on. I would say that it shouldn't be so involved a process that you're exchanging email with the postal people. Just have her go to the fedex office, send it, and track it.

I mean, do you really have any other option at this point?

Первый блин комом.

Timeline

I mean, do you really have any other option at this point?

The other option is to see what remedy NVC has for working within the laws of Russia and the USA. Seems there are very few actual IR/CR-1 filers with a beneficiary in Russia that post here.

Sealed package. Any grief hand 'em 1000 rubles and tell 'em to send it.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

The other option is to see what remedy NVC has for working within the laws of Russia and the USA. Seems there are very few actual IR/CR-1 filers with a beneficiary in Russia that post here.

Well, you can send them Fedex or DHL, or you can hop on a plane and go over and pick them up yourself.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My wife was also not allowed to send a document from Russia. This rule is enforced by DHL in Russia, and I imagine by the other shippers as well, although we never tried going elsewhere.

Timeline

Keeping up with the vagaries of Russian law would be a full-time job, as it changes constantly and laws coming from the Duma, President, and regional authorities can all conflict with each other--that's one of the ways that the State controls businesses, media outlets, etc.--it's impossible to operate fully within the letter of the law since they conflict, so if you get on the wrong side of whoever, they can always find some sort of violation.

Do what Slim said; send them in a sealed envelope and slip them some cash if there's an issue. Or find someone who is going to the US who you trust to act as courier. Or spend the $2000 or so dollars it'd take for you to fly to Russia and pick them up. Have her go to fedex and send them as sealed documents without bothering to ask if it's legal or not. Ask too many questions, get too many answers.

Первый блин комом.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.