seanyb719

UK Friend denied entry into US on Visa Waiver

32 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

To be fair I have had only one nasty experience with US Immigration.

I appreciate she does not need ESTA for land entries, but if it is a no go on ESTA I would not bother trying.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

no harsh... there is a distinct difference with how people are dealt with in the UK. They are given respect and not automatically treated as criminals. I have no issue with them doing their job but there is a professional and civil way of doing things. I've traveled the world and I have only had a problem with the way the US treat people. This is just the customs guys by the way.. I find americans to be very friendly and much more approachable than us Brits to be honest. Anyway that doesn't matter.. like you said they are doing their job and I guess it's just a cultural difference. By the way I think I already said I actually completely understand why she wasn't allowed to enter. She was a little naive and ignorant as to requirements entering the country.

Thanks for your input anyway. Much appreciated.

To be fair, I personally was in a similar situation as your friend, only me as an American trying to gain entry into the UK. Yes, I was naive, didn't show enough ties, didn't have a job, was just going traveling for a while. The biggest issue they had - funnily enough - was that I brought three cases with me. I felt I was traveling light, lol.

I was detained, locked in a room with people with dodgy passports, asylum seekers...the lot. I was treated so rudely...I was essentially tricked into the holding cell, lol...there was a payphone there, but I had no pound coins...I asked one of the border agents if they could exchange some us $ for me so I could make a phone call...they told me $10 would yield me £1. I was like 'the exchange rate is <whatever it was at the time> and he was all 'these are private exchange rates if you need to use the phone, this is your only option'.

I wound up having to call my family collect because I didn't have enough to make their 'exchange rate' yield me enough to make an int'l call.

I was held for 9 hours, my family had Washington and the US embassy involved...my mom was on the phone with the chief consular officer at his home (it was a Sunday before bank hols Monday in May)...at some point, there was talk of me needing a lawyer. They eventually let me in, were sweet as pie after my family got everyone involved, actually even assigned me a new agent...but beforehand? Wow, they were horrible.

I have no advice for your friend, but I felt compelled to speak up to prove that this sort of thing DOES happen in the UK, and is not US-specific.

Good luck to your friend.

To be fair, I personally was in a similar situation as your friend, only me as an American trying to gain entry into the UK. Yes, I was naive, didn't show enough ties, didn't have a job, was just going traveling for a while. The biggest issue they had - funnily enough - was that I brought three cases with me. I felt I was traveling light, lol.

I was detained, locked in a room with people with dodgy passports, asylum seekers...the lot. I was treated so rudely...I was essentially tricked into the holding cell, lol...there was a payphone there, but I had no pound coins...I asked one of the border agents if they could exchange some us $ for me so I could make a phone call...they told me $10 would yield me £1. I was like 'the exchange rate is <whatever it was at the time> and he was all 'these are private exchange rates if you need to use the phone, this is your only option'.

I wound up having to call my family collect because I didn't have enough to make their 'exchange rate' yield me enough to make an int'l call.

I was held for 9 hours, my family had Washington and the US embassy involved...my mom was on the phone with the chief consular officer at his home (it was a Sunday before bank hols Monday in May)...at some point, there was talk of me needing a lawyer. They eventually let me in, were sweet as pie after my family got everyone involved, actually even assigned me a new agent...but beforehand? Wow, they were horrible.

wow i'm ashamed to read this honestly

I have no advice for your friend, but I felt compelled to speak up to prove that this sort of thing DOES happen in the UK, and is not US-specific.

event.png

Yes, I had a similar situation happen. I was offered a chance to work at the US Embassy in London as an unpaid intern (so I wouldn't not be making any money, and as a US citizen, I was working for the US government, nothing to do with the UK at all) and I was refused entry. They also detained me for 4 hours, fingerprinted me, took my mugshot, put me in a holding room, then sent me on the next plane home once the decision was finally made. They said I needed a special visa to work in the UK, even though it was just an unpaid internship. The worst part was that, out of the 15 interns who were due to work at the Embassy that summer, they let in 13 without a visa and turned two of us away. Completely unfair. It's not just the US who is rude and heavy-handed in their border patrol.

K-1

I-129F NOA1 : June 1, 2010

I-129F NOA2 : June 28, 2010

Interview Date : Sept 28, 2010

Wedding: Apr 16, 2011

AOS

Approved : July 25, 2011

Filed: Timeline

Yes, I had a similar situation happen. I was offered a chance to work at the US Embassy in London as an unpaid intern (so I wouldn't not be making any money, and as a US citizen, I was working for the US government, nothing to do with the UK at all) and I was refused entry. They also detained me for 4 hours, fingerprinted me, took my mugshot, put me in a holding room, then sent me on the next plane home once the decision was finally made. They said I needed a special visa to work in the UK, even though it was just an unpaid internship. The worst part was that, out of the 15 interns who were due to work at the Embassy that summer, they let in 13 without a visa and turned two of us away. Completely unfair. It's not just the US who is rude and heavy-handed in their border patrol.

I'm shocked the embassy didn't step in and sort that for you!

Btw, I had proof of onward passage, and I even asked to be put on the next flight home, if they weren't going to give me entry...they denied me.

Sean - I don't think you should feel ashamed at all! It's not like it's your fault! But just realize that this does happen elsewhere...I get so sick of hearing how the US is this that and the other, and how it's 'culturally different' everywhere else...that is the only reason why I posted....so that people can see stuff like this happens everywhere, and not just here. :thumbs:

I'm shocked the embassy didn't step in and sort that for you!

Btw, I had proof of onward passage, and I even asked to be put on the next flight home, if they weren't going to give me entry...they denied me.

Sean - I don't think you should feel ashamed at all! It's not like it's your fault! But just realize that this does happen elsewhere...I get so sick of hearing how the US is this that and the other, and how it's 'culturally different' everywhere else...that is the only reason why I posted....so that people can see stuff like this happens everywhere, and not just here. :thumbs:

It was a Sunday, so there was no one that could do anything at the embassy, and I was out of the country before they could do anything. After I got back home it became a bigger deal and I was eventually given a diplomatic visa, but by the time I got the visas issued, there was only about 2 weeks left for the intership and then I had to start classes again for the fall term.

So yes, eventually things were sort of fixed, but at the time, it was a nightmare. My British fiance now likes to tease me that I was deported from the UK.

K-1

AOS

Timeline

Funny that the Embassy of all people should seek to get you to enter on the wrong basis.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Funny that the Embassy of all people should seek to get you to enter on the wrong basis.

UK Immigration said that the rules had changed not long before my situation happened, and apparently the US embassy wasn't aware that their interns now required visas. Even though 13 of the interns somehow didn't require visas...

K-1

AOS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Sean - maybe you did not had to face the rude UK border patrol as I am assuming u are UK citizen.

But for those who are not citizen in UK they face the same rude experience. I am sure if you enter the us citizen line for immigration officers are much more nice and polite.

One of my aunt was entering US on B2 and officer was kinda asking her all kinda questions and once he realized she was once a perm resident, who had given up her GC, his tone totally changed right away.

So just saying the US border patrol ppl are rude and not polite is not a 100% accurate, I can understand you were pissed at them a little for not letting your friend in but thats the way it is.

Sean - maybe you did not had to face the rude UK border patrol as I am assuming u are UK citizen.

But for those who are not citizen in UK they face the same rude experience. I am sure if you enter the us citizen line for immigration officers are much more nice and polite.

One of my aunt was entering US on B2 and officer was kinda asking her all kinda questions and once he realized she was once a perm resident, who had given up her GC, his tone totally changed right away.

So just saying the US border patrol ppl are rude and not polite is not a 100% accurate, I can understand you were pissed at them a little for not letting your friend in but thats the way it is.

Maybe you are right, I guess I don't see the receiving end of a none UK resident and the above stories prove my original statement to not entirely be correct. My point though was of people generally in an authoritative role here and I still strongly stick by it as have a lot of my US friends have mentioned the same. My wife actually couldn't believe how polite people were to her when she originally visited. For example... being pulled over by the police here. I'd quite happily get out of the car and chat to the police in England about the offence. I honestly thought I was going to get shot :-) It's just something I have to deal with but it's a big shock to the system with the cultural differences. By the way I was an officer in the RAF and did training with the US forces many times. There is a huge difference how each are taught to deal with people. Over here it is very much you are told to do something rather than asked. I guess people here don't see that as being rude since it is the norm.

And i'm not pissed at them for not letting my friend in. I completely understand why they didn't and to be honest am glad they are so strict to protect the borders over here. I am pissed at the way she was treated and the outcome of being banned for such a silly reason when her intentions were very innocent that's all. However I do realise my original statement of it just being the US was out of line. I didn't explain myself very well at all so apologies for that. This also isn't a personal gripe on Americans since I have embraced lots of what you have offered. I really don't want to come across as if out us Brits are perfect because I am well aware we are far from it!

Anyway... it's just my opinion and you are very much entitled to yours of course. Have a wonderful weekend all and thank you again for your time in helping.

event.png

Timeline

Was she banned?

I thought she was just refused entry?

What did they stamp in her passport?

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

What did they stamp in her passport?

nothing was stamped in there apparently. just told she will not be able to use the VWP. I wrongly told her she should have done the ESTA thing and when she did afterwards it denied her.

as it happens she's flying back to the UK now anyway since her visa in Canada is close to running out.

event.png

Her passport should have been stamped.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.