leigh

Advance Parole

34 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

This discussion regarding immunizations for Knightsbridge K1 vs AOS is enlightening and a bit confusing. My fiancee, as far as I know, went ahead and got all her vaccinations taken care of for the K1 medical at Knightsbridge. Obviously she wanted to make sure she had EVERYTHING done although I think after Knightsbridge, she still ended up needing a couple more vaccinations, although on of them may have been the flu jab. In the end, to satisfy the Knightsbridge doctor, she sent in correct documents and that finished things up which were pending and the K1 was finally sent about a week ago.

So if what I read here is correct, you can satisfy the requirements in London for the K1, and yet the AOS may require further vaccinations? I would like of course, for my fiancee to have all taken care of before she leaves since her GP can take care of here over there rather than have to find a doctor here etc.

Formerly of not so sunny Syracuse, New York (and going way back, Davis California!)

- 2008 Aug Met and began online relationship

- 2008 Dec 2-7 Met 1st time in person (England)

- 2009 Mar 28 Became engaged

- 2009 Apr 2-15 Met 2nd time in person (Syracuse-NY-USA)

- 2009 Aug 25 - Sep 25 Met 3rd time in person (Syracuse-NY-USA)

- 2009 Oct 19 Sent I-129F Application to USCIS

- 2009 Oct 30 NOA1 received

- 2010 Jan 20 NOA2 received (Approval Notice)

- 2010 Feb 4 Notified that approved I-129F petition forward to US Emabassy at London

- 2010 Mar 26 - Apr 15 Met 4th time in person (Fairfax-VA-USA)

- 2010 July 29 Fiancee had medical in London

- 2010 July 30 London Embassy Interview Date (K1 Visa approved pending a laundry list of medial stuff)

- 2010 Nov 2 Courier website shows K1 Visa packet enroute for delivery. 1st indication of final approval!

- 2010 Nov 3 K1 Visa packet delivered by courier! Visa's are in the building and in my fiancees hands! (tentative Jan 2011 arrival)

Timeline

This discussion regarding immunizations for Knightsbridge K1 vs AOS is enlightening and a bit confusing. My fiancee, as far as I know, went ahead and got all her vaccinations taken care of for the K1 medical at Knightsbridge. Obviously she wanted to make sure she had EVERYTHING done although I think after Knightsbridge, she still ended up needing a couple more vaccinations, although on of them may have been the flu jab. In the end, to satisfy the Knightsbridge doctor, she sent in correct documents and that finished things up which were pending and the K1 was finally sent about a week ago.

So if what I read here is correct, you can satisfy the requirements in London for the K1, and yet the AOS may require further vaccinations? I would like of course, for my fiancee to have all taken care of before she leaves since her GP can take care of here over there rather than have to find a doctor here etc.

Coffeemuse, it does seem quite hard to get things right. I was just looking at your dates - it seems you waited a really long time (July to November?) between the interview date and the K1 being delivered. Did it take that long to get all the medical stuff together?

You K-1 medical should be valid for one year so if you file AOS quickly enough it will be sufficient. They should have given you a copy of your vaccine list at the medical (if not bring your own records). When filing for AOS you should just need to get the vaccines transcribed by a civil surgeon to say they are completed. As far as I know the vaccines needed should not change.

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Timeline

If the listing posted above for the vaccinations is what the AOS process requires, then we should be able to double check those vaccinations against it to make sure they are all done. I remember early on seeing feedback here in VJ that you could be granted the K1 even if you didn't have all of the vaccinations required, but you could get them later once you were in the US - I assume in time for the AOS. But of course we'd prefer to have it all taken care of before she comes here just so its done and we don't have more things to worry about along with getting married, settled and filing for the AOS etc.

Coffeemuse, it does seem quite hard to get things right. I was just looking at your dates - it seems you waited a really long time (July to November?) between the interview date and the K1 being delivered. Did it take that long to get all the medical stuff together?

Yes it took that long, And it could have potentially taken alot longer if the checkups asked for didn't come up all clear, fine and dandy.

I have been getting aquainted with the vagaries of the NHS over the past several years and from everything I've heard, it ain't pretty at all. I'll just leave it at that because it is outside the scope of this topic and forums.

Formerly of not so sunny Syracuse, New York (and going way back, Davis California!)

- 2010 Feb 4 Notified that approved I-129F petition forward to US Emabassy at London

- 2010 July 30 London Embassy Interview Date (K1 Visa approved pending a laundry list of medial stuff)

- 2010 Nov 2 Courier website shows K1 Visa packet enroute for delivery. 1st indication of final approval!

- 2010 Nov 3 K1 Visa packet delivered by courier! Visa's are in the building and in my fiancees hands! (tentative Jan 2011 arrival)

They will grant you the K-1 without all the vaccinations done, but there should have been a notation on the paperwork Knightsbridge gave to you which mentions if they are completed or not.

England.gif England!

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Filed: Timeline

Oh i would disregard our timeline. Ours is an unusual and complicated medical case. The Visa Dr was just wanting to have quite a few additional things checked and more info provided on conditions. She had never heard of some of them.

Then once we had satisfied the Dr. Our medical reports were sent to the Embassy for final review. At the Embassy interview, i was approved the day after my medical, so it was pending the Embassy recieving Medical results.

I was told by the Embassy back in July, they may ask for more info, dependent on what my medical results were.

When i asked them to expand on that, she said that they may ask Coffee to medically insure me via his employer, before they would allow a Visa. Not sure how that would have been done. How i understand it all over there, for Coffee to add me to his employers insurance we would need to be married first. I didnt want to aggravate the Consular officer and press her on it.

I just nodded, said "ok" and left the building :whistle:

The Embassy recieved the medical results in October. Did not ask for anymore info and finally i got the Visa delivered.

I-129F Sent : 2009-10-19

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-10-30

I-129F NOA2 : 2010-01-20

Packet 3 Received : 2010-02-17

Packet 3 Sent : 2010-05-20

Packet 4 Received : 2010-06-23

Booked into Norman Bates Hotel: 2010-07-29

Medical : 2010-07-29 (4 letters issued >.<)

Interview Date : 2010-07-30 (pending medical results)

Email from Embassy: 2010-10-22 They confirm they have medical results, we are under final review.

Courier website : 2010-11-2 shows packet enroute for delivery. 1st indication of final approval! Or is it??! argh the suspense!

Visa Delivered <3 : 2010-11-3 K1 Visa packet delivered by courier! *cup of tea to celebrate*

US Entry (Dulles) : 2011-2-27 Hot Tomales time <3

A visa for a K1 does not require any immunizations because it's not giving you a green card. It won't hold up your visa if you don't get shots. But to get a green card once in the US, she will have to meet all the requirements. So for a K1, you can get shots at NHS, Knightsbridge, a US family doctor, health department, civil surgeon or a combination of all of those. But in the end, all the required shots have to appear on one form signed by a US government approved doctor. That can be a panel physician (Knightsbridge) or a civil surgeon (as they are called in the US.) They call it "transcribing" because the doc may be just "copying" your assorted shot records onto one form. Panel physicians (Knightsbridge) use the form DS-3025. Civil surgeons use the form I-693.

You K-1 medical should be valid for one year so if you file AOS quickly enough it will be sufficient. They should have given you a copy of your vaccine list at the medical (if not bring your own records). When filing for AOS you should just need to get the vaccines transcribed by a civil surgeon to say they are completed. As far as I know the vaccines needed should not change.

What I was explaining is the transcribing by a civil surgeon (form I-693) step you mention does not have to be done if every required shot is already recorded on the DS-3025 prepared by Knightsbridge. But the key is to have them done on NHS before the medical appointment or get them done on the day by Knightsbridge so everything is on that one official form that goes to the embassy and later in your file to the US. Anything needed to be added after the DS-3025 is signed, will require a civil surgeon. It really and truly works no matter what the current confusion in the AOS forums say. It's not getting lucky. I can name you 40-50 people I have kept on a list who got a green card without going to a civil surgeon.

They will grant you the K-1 without all the vaccinations done, but there should have been a notation on the paperwork Knightsbridge gave to you which mentions if they are completed or not.

Your form does NOT have to say "complete". Knightsbridge will mark yours "Incomplete. May be eligible for blanket waiver." That means you are excused (waivered) from some of the shots on the list because they are not appropriate for your age.

The instuctions to panel physicians say:

Completing "Part 2. Results.

After reviewing entries in "Part 1. Immunization Record" for all the vaccines, the appropriate box under "Part 2. Results" must be checked.

 Vaccination history incomplete: Applicant may be eligible for blanket waiver(s)

If any of the boxes under the "Not Medically Appropriate" heading was checked, the Applicant may be eligible for blanket waiver(s) because vaccination(s) not medically appropriate (as indicated above) box must also be checked. This box will probably always be checked because some vaccines may not be age appropriate for the applicant.

The people I know and my husband did not have "complete" checked. He did not get an RFE. I've paid close attention to official publications of all things medical for two and a half years. I've seen the hysteria du jour and confusion change in the forums from the days of HPV shots and new policies on TB tests and your medical exam not "meeting up" with your AOS file. I'm just passing on my tip because I know it works. Take it or leave it, but you might want to bookmark it to read it again when you're doing AOS 'cause you may not remember the specifics.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

I was 2 vacs short on my medical day. Decided to wait and get done by my own GP.

The medical Dr issued me with a letter to give to my Gp on what vacs i still needed.

I got them all done, my GP stamped the letter and i sent it back to the visa dr.

Nich-nick you mention a DS-3025 that Knightsbridge do.

Medical Dr should have issued me with it?

Or is it sitting in the big brown envelope that im not supposed to open?

Edited by Twinkles

Email from Embassy: 2010-10-22 They confirm they have medical results, we are under final review.

Courier website : 2010-11-2 shows packet enroute for delivery. 1st indication of final approval! Or is it??! argh the suspense!

Visa Delivered <3 : 2010-11-3 K1 Visa packet delivered by courier! *cup of tea to celebrate*

Although there are many people who have been able to go through without a vaccine transcription there are also several who were given RFE's for not having vaccines completed (although they were) which put their application behind. Personally and for my peace of mind we had ours transcribed for $45 assuring us a smooth process, even if it might have been superfluous. The IO had the vaccine transcriptions that we sent in in our file at the AOS interview, so at least they thought enough of them to include them.

Edited by amykathleen2005

England.gif England!

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

I was 2 vacs short on my medical day. Decided to wait and get done by my own GP.

The medical Dr issued me with a letter to give to my Gp on what vacs i still needed.

I got them all done, my GP stamped the letter and i sent it back to the visa dr.

Nich-nick you mention a DS-3025 that Knightsbridge do.

Medical Dr should have issued me with it?

Or is it sitting in the big brown envelope that im not supposed to open?

Only a panel physician issues DS-3025 and Knightsbridge hand you a photocopy at the appt. With your results not being complete because of other medical issues requiring further documentation, you may not have gotten one. It will be in your brown envelope along with the medical exam results. I think you should call Knightsbridge and ask them if they can provide you with a copy of your immunization sheet. Remind them of the circumstances of why you didn't get one so they don't think you just misplaced it. Better to have it now rather getting months down the road in the US and needing a copy.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

The Dr. Nik has for the K-1 Medical only put "K1" in the boxes for the required vaccines, and then checked the waiver box. I think Nik was only short one vaccine, but since she didn't put dates for them the IO wouldn't accept it because it was too ambiguous.

*shrug*

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Only a panel physician issues DS-3025 and Knightsbridge hand you a photocopy at the appt. With your results not being complete because of other medical issues requiring further documentation, you may not have gotten one. It will be in your brown envelope along with the medical exam results. I think you should call Knightsbridge and ask them if they can provide you with a copy of your immunization sheet. Remind them of the circumstances of why you didn't get one so they don't think you just misplaced it. Better to have it now rather getting months down the road in the US and needing a copy.

Thanks for replying. Cripes, i feel like a noob at times.

Aye i can see why i didnt get a copy. Im thinking the same as you, just to call Knightsbridge.

So am i right in thinking, that aslong as all the vacs are done on this side of the pond and i have that copy of DS-3025 there are no more vacs needed for the AOS?

Although there are many people who have been able to go through without a vaccine transcription there are also several who were given RFE's for not having vaccines completed (although they were) which put their application behind. Personally and for my peace of mind we had ours transcribed for $45 assuring us a smooth process, even if it might have been superfluous. The IO had the vaccine transcriptions that we sent in in our file at the AOS interview, so at least they thought enough of them to include them.

Amy, I respect everything you're saying. I've also read every medical RFE post since 2008. It's just became my "thing" because of changes that started in June 1, 2008. 99% of the RFEs reported are because people don't understand the process. They say "I got a medical exam in my country, but still got an RFE for not doing an I-693". They don't get it that a visa exam or getting a K1 visa does not equal having all the shots. So the RFE states --Please send a properly completed I-693. It's not because they won't accept DS-3025, but because it didn't have all the shots on it. You can't even get all the shots in some countries. I don't think you can get varicella in the UK, so if you haven't had chickenpox you're for sure going to get that one in the US. Other RFEs often misunderstood were the ones that say they sent DS-3025 and got an RFE stating-- While we have your immunizations, we do not have a report of your medical. Please send a properly completed I-693.-- Everybody assumes the fault is in the DS-3025 form. It said "we have your immunizations" so that DS-3025 was acknowledged as OK. What was missing is the medical meaning clearance from veneral disease, TB, mental health issues, etc. It means the brown envelope file was not in the AOS file and they have to have those medical tests before they can approve. Basically USCIS loses those files or doesn't order them out of storage. So, much of the chatter is because people don't understand their RFE and it gets blamed on the wrong reasons. And USCIS sends out vague form letters that apply to everybody adjusting status. Most AOS is done by people who have lived in the US for years as students, workers, relatives who overstayed, etc so they 100% need a civil surgeon and the form letters tend to fit that majority.

So like I said, my tip is take or leave it. But I'm telling it here because it has to be taken care of by the time of the exam in London. Then they have the choice when it is time to file AOS. I wasn't afraid of an RFE. Having a green card delayed by a couple of weeks would not have changed our lives since we were finally in the same country and married. I had read about people calling 10 civil surgeons who all insisted on doing another full exam for $300.(They are used to the majority of AOSers too) Others were so happy somebody agreed to copy their list for only $90. I was not going to spend another penny for "just in case", but I get stubborn like that once every 5 years or so. It's a personal choice, but I wouldn't post it unless I really, really, really believed in it and had done a lot of research to back it up as a valid choice.

And yes, the form must have valid dates by MMR, one of the DTP variations, and the letters VH written by varicella (meaning Varicella History which excuses you from the shot because you had chickenpox.)

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Timeline

Ok sounds like its good I started asking questions. The devil is in the details once again! One thing that caught my eye was the chicken pox vericella vaccine. Nich says they don't even offer it in the UK so by that meaning someone in the UK can't get 100% of the vaccines required for the AOS? The simple reading of that says to me that most UK folks still has to get at least one vaccine in the US after coming over and getting married. I hope I'm wrong about that because it would be nice to have 100% of vaccines done before traveling. If not, its not a huge problem but again, I'm hoping we can do all possible and have the vaccines and documentation all complete for the AOS.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.