maximus634

7 year old step-daughter's visa

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello all,

So me and my wife have been married for a couple years now.She is here on a 2 year green card ,next year around July is when i have to to the 10 year extension.She has a 7 year old daughter who is still in Thailand that we want to bring to the states now. I know i need to file a i-130 but i can't find any info on all the step that i have to do.Can someone please guide me through the steps.Also how long does it take to get a visa like this approved and do i have to wait till next year till her extension is done?Can i sponser her or does my wife have to? No offence to you forum rats or whatever you are called but i would rather get a response from someone who has experience with this type of Visa.Thanks in advance

Filed: Country:
Timeline

The child isn't your daughter-in-law, that would mean she married your child. She is your Step-daughter which makes her an immediate relative.

You don't do a ten year extension, that you do is support your wife in filing for Removal of Conditions on her Residency.

For the child, you file an I-130 Petition for an immediate relative. The relationship you need to prove is that you're married to her mother so you will provide the child's birth certificate, your marriage certificate to her mother, your birth certificate or passport pages to prove you are a US Citizen.

Since she is so young no G-325A is required for her.

The rest of the process will be almost identical to IR/CR-1 even though she will be IR/CR-2.

The child isn't your daughter-in-law, that would mean she married your child. She is your Step-daughter which makes her an immediate relative.

You don't do a ten year extension, that you do is support your wife in filing for Removal of Conditions on her Residency.

For the child, you file an I-130 Petition for an immediate relative. The relationship you need to prove is that you're married to her mother so you will provide the child's birth certificate, your marriage certificate to her mother, your birth certificate or passport pages to prove you are a US Citizen.

The rest of the process will be almost identical to IR/CR-1 even though she will be IR/CR-2.

Ya lol ,daughter-in-law that would be complicated. I forget all the terminology about visas ,seems like it’s been so long since I did my wife’s and I don’t look forward to doing her RCR but it’s better than paying some incompetent immigration lawyer that might mess it all up. Do you happen to know the amount of time it takes? I was thinking that it would be a much faster process then the last one I did which was very hard considering I was in Iraq at the time and it took 6 months. Thanks for your response

I also forgot to ask does the first packet i send in have to have all original birth certificates with translations or is just copies fine?thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've edited the topic to read 'step daughter' instead of daughter-in-law :) .

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.