higgibaby

Naturalization Ceremony...

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

They darn well better, ever watch any of those WW II Nazi Germany movies where the Gestapo stops people and says, let me see your papers! The Gestapo was their government that issued these papers, our Gestapo only issued one, a birth certificate. So it was, let me see your paper for entering grade school, SS card, DMV, and getting drafted, ironically all these are parts of our government and the only organizations that wanted to see my paper. Well, that was true for many years until I met my wife and heard of the USCIS for the first time, they wanted to see all my papers, and all of her papers too. Like a 3 1/2" tall stack of papers.

But at least that boiled down for her to let me see your paper, and that is your US citizen certificate. They do take away, not your paper, but your green card, you are dead without that, can't travel, can't work, can't do anything without it. And if you have a foreign passport to travel, that became worthless for travel after you received your US citizenship certificate, at least for leaving and coming back to the USA. You now need more papers, a US passport, but can't get that without your certificate.

So that US citizenship certificate is your paper, your only proof that you are here legally, so you better darn well not leave your oath ceremony without it. Also you better read it carefully to make sure there are no errors on it before leaving. If there are errors on it, will cause you both time and money to get it corrected even though its not your fault. So make darn sure it is correct before you leave the oath ceremony.

It also doesn't become valid until you sign it, and you have to sign your name exactly like it is printed on your certificate, so practice first, you have to sign it in ink, so you only get one shot at it. Do this in a quiet spot, not with a bunch of kids screaming or at a drunken party. This is your paper.

Nick, you are soooooooooooooo and terrible right.....WTH....how US Immigration is....I didn't think about it but it is like that, without the paper we cannot have our US passport, and until we do not have it we are stacked here in US, we cannot go anywhere.........Also my docs file since the Fiancee VISA requested in 2005 (but received in 2006) is about 3.5 or even 4 inches tall........I saw it last time I got my test, she (IO) had everything since then......so much wasting time, money and feelings.........Tks so much for sharing your experience!!!!I can't wait to get my passport and after that I don't wanna hear about Immigration anymore, for the rest of my life!!!!!

K1 VISA: 07/25/06 GOT VISA!!!!!!

30th of September 2006 WEDDING

AOS:01/29/2007 received Permanent Resident Card (GC)

ROC:04/11/2009 received Permanent Resident Card (GC) expiring in 2019!!!!

N-400:

on 05/21/2010 Sent out docs to Arizona Lockbox Facility address via USPS

on 06/30/2010 Biometrics

on 09/24/2010 Interview Day - Passed the Test

on 10/19/2010 Oath - USA CITIZEN!!!!!

on 10/20/2010 I requested the US Passport

on 11/02/2010 the US Passport was received by Priority Mail

on 11/03/2010 @ the Social Security Office I changed my status from Resident to US Citizen

ON THE 3RD OF NOV.2010 MY JOURNEY ENDS, WHICH STARTED IN DEC. 2005!!!!!!!THANKS TO VJ & VJ PPL!!!!!!!!

Yes, they gave me the certificate at the ceremony...applied for a passport the following day, received the passport today, 11 days after filing, 12 days after the ceremony.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.