venassa

To tell the truth?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So Im going to cross the boarder by car 1st, and then taking a flight in Platsburg to my finacee. My mom is driving me through..im only brining 2 suitcases....Im just wondering...should I tell the boarder agent were going to the airport? or just crossing over....or my whole k1 visa thing...and then at the airport, go through the whole process again...hmmmm

also. my dad will be driving down for my wedding, and bringing me a bunch of my stuff...does he or I have to fill out a form. (were talking a car load here, not a van)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I guess I don't understand why you would ask this question?

You will be processed for immigration at the border. You definitely should not lie to the border agent about your reason for entering the United States, because he/she needs to process your K-1 visa properly, etc, which includes special stamps and notations on your entry card.

If you were to enter the United States and not get that, you would be unable to file for adjustment of status, as that stuff is required when you submit the application (and interview, later down the road).

I don't know where "Platsburg" is, but I'm assuming it's some airport in the United States? So you'd be flying from there to another site in the US? That would be a domestic flight, and there would be no immigration agents to deal with after you arrived at your destination.

P.S. The border agent is going to leaf through your passport when you present it (regardless of what you tell him about why you are entering) and 100% for-sure they will see your K-1 visa affixed inside.

It would probably be "bad" if you tried to act like you were entering for another reason.

Plattsburg...it's across Lake Champlain from Burlington, VT. I'm from AB but have been to the area several times. It's lovely!

If you're entering the US on your K-1 visa, then the land crossing will be the POE...they likely won't care where you're flying to once your visa has been processed at the border when you enter by car (so long as you don't leave the US - that's a no-no).

Now, if you're not activating your K-1 and want to enter as a tourist and are then taking a flight, you should be able to tell them so. Just answer honestly. People who live in or visit border states do it all the time. Just tell them you're entering as a tourist to catch a flight from Plattsburg because it was easier/cheaper that way, or whatever. If you're entering as a tourist, make sure you bring lots of proof of your ties to Canada (lease/title for home, letter from employer, etc).

It sounds like you're moving and activating your K-1 though. They may ask where you're moving to, but I don't think they'll care that you're catching a flight to get there. Just be honest and have all your paperwork if you. And if it is you're POE, you'll definitely want to make sure you give them all yours docs so that everything can be processed properly for your AOS.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you! It all makes sense...yes when I cross I will be moving...I just read a bunch of POE horror stories and got freaked out! Oh yea forgot the flight Im taking is domestic and wont be going through customs...this puts my mind at ease.

Thanks guys, God bless!

Filed: Timeline
also. my dad will be driving down for my wedding, and bringing me a bunch of my stuff...does he or I have to fill out a form. (were talking a car load here, not a van)

Yes, you will have to fill out Form 3299 and make sure he has it with him when he crosses the border.

See this link for more details: CBP FAQ - Moving to the US

If you come to the Canada Regional Forum you will find lots of Canadian-specific advice there, including the Canada Immigration Guide which is a pinned topic at the top of the forum. :)

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.