Altans4

N400 How long is it suppose to take?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline

I posted earlier about my husband having his interview in Chicago and we are now waiting on the oath letter. We filed the N400 on 10-22-09. How long is this suppose to take? My husband called today and gave his NBC# and they would not talk to him because he did not have the exact date of when he filed the N400 with him. Are we getting the run around or what is the deal.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline

When did he have his interview? and what was the result of the interview. Did the IO recommend approval or did you have to submit further docs?

Interview was 6/24/10 in Chicago. Approval was recommended and we were told that he would have to do the oath in Springfield,IL( which only does oath 3 times a year next time being sometime in Oct.) because he was not under Chicago jurisdiction. No documents to be submitted just told to wait for the oath letter.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Have you considered making an InfoPass appointment? I'd definitely do that since it's been more than 90 days. If that doesn't produce anything tangible, contact one of your state's senators. (Tell them your husband is anxious to be able to vote in November. That'll shake something loose.)

Edited by hhN400

My wife's USCIS journey:

I-130 (IR1) Timeline

03-26-07 -- I-130 sent to VSC

09-20-07 -- Permanent Resident

N-400 Timeline

09-20-10 -- N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox

09-24-10 -- Check cashed

09-27-10 -- NOA received

10-07-10 -- Biometrics letter rec'd (appointment for 10/19/2010)

10-15-10 -- Biometrics done (walk-in at Alexandria, VA facility)

10-23-10 -- Another Biometrics letter rec'd (1st fingerprint set unusable according to FBI; appointment for 11/19/2010)

10-25-10 -- 2nd Biometrics done (walk-in at Alexandria, VA facility)

10-26-10 -- Called FBI: Second fingerprint set okay

11-20-10 -- Yellow letter received

01-26-11 -- Interview letter received

03-01-11 -- Interview (Civics test passed, but "Decision cannot yet be made" -- Docs missing)

03-25-11 -- Oath letter received

04-18-11 -- Oath Ceremony -- USC

Yes, as suggested above you could do an infopass just to reassure you everything is ok. You say they only do 3 oaths a year, so maybe the Oct one was full from previous applicants...? only an infopass can answer that. Seeing that they only do 3 oaths per year you shouldn't worry to much, but would strongly suggest you do an infopass to double check when your oath will be.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Yes, as suggested above you could do an infopass just to reassure you everything is ok. You say they only do 3 oaths a year, so maybe the Oct one was full from previous applicants...? only an infopass can answer that. Seeing that they only do 3 oaths per year you shouldn't worry to much, but would strongly suggest you do an infopass to double check when your oath will be.

Wanting to vote in the November election is one of your most powerful reasons to expedite your certificate. And they do listen to your senator or congressman, least for us. From our friends in the Chicago office, just as bad if not worse than St. Paul. Oath ceremony was cute, but just lip service, didn't even have my sign sign her certificate in front of an officer, just handed it to her and said goodbye, congratulations, beginning to hate that word.

I am sure your husband read the oath aloud and signed it at his interview like my wife did. That is the only written proof they have of saying the oath if that is what they want. To the best of my knowledge, whether an office has the same day oath is solely at the discretion of the office manage. Would think that should be at the discretion of the USCIS headquarters, would certainly make their jobs easier as they can file your applications forever rather than dig them out again.

You feel a degree of relief when you get that ten year green card, but again find yourself in the twilight zone, waiting and wondering, afraid to make any plans. The only one that applauded at my wife's oath ceremony when she finally received her certificate, was me. Rest of the people their just didn't care about her. She just made that line longer.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.