rgoharian

Awaiting your response: F1 Visa- Currently on OPT

3 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am currently a British citizen working and living in California. I have been residing here for three years and I graduated with my MBA program in December 2009 with a 3.5 GPA. I also had the opportunity to work as a Part time Work Study/Academic Affairs Assistant while studying. Half of my time was dedicated to studying and half was dedicated to working so I can help pay for my education process. I have a BA honors degree in Marketing from London.

After graduating with my MBA, I started my "OPT" which expires January of this year. I was fortunate enough to be hired into Irvine Company from July 2010 after working part time for three months at an IT company in San Clemente. Unfortunately, Irvine Company does not sponsor it's employees so it will be difficult for me to transfer to H1B. My job is super stable and related to my field. Furthermore, I see plenty of opportunity to grow into management positions which is what I intend to do in the future. May I also note that I have been paying taxes and been a useful part of the society. I really want to stay in the United States to further my career and to grow. I am petitioning to be granted an extension to remain in the United States with a work visa for as long as I am employed at a full time job. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours Respectfully,

Roxana Elizabeth Goharian

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

OPT was designed to get practical experience in the field , something tied closely to yer major, for a set period of time.

Once you finish OPT, yer supposed to go home.

The 'trick' to convert to H1-B, is just that, a trick.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

It's LEGAL to use, but it's still a trick.

What's preventing you from going home, to UK, after OPT is finished?

Since yer still attached to yer UNI, you might want to check in with the 'employment search' office, find a multinational company with offices in Singapura, Hong Kong, or UK, and apply.

Since yer OPT expired in January of this year, I must assume you now have illegal presence in the USA. You might want to check in with the DSO of yer Uni, arrange for some 'legal exit' - apparently you were working illegally after OPT expired.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I am guess the OPT is expiring in Jan 2011 since the OPT is normally for a year, so starting from Dec 2009 to Dec 2010. Just writing a letter and expecting them to accept your letter is not going to work.

They have process called H1B, and you will have to apply for H1B if you desire to work in US, with the high unemployment its difficult to find a company that wou;d be willing to sponsor a H1B.

So I have not really understood what exactly is the question, the only partI got is you have been hired by a company, but they are not sponsoring H1 like most companies at the moment.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.